Steering wheel: shaking & rattling (fix)

Probaby some of you guys already noticed the FFB gets very violent when going off track and hitting the curb.
Abit annoying, but you can try this. :)

've found a workaround for the violent shaking/rattling people seem to be experiencing.

There's a line in the controller.ini that's right above "Steering torque filter" called "Steering effects strength".

I've lowered that number from the default 10000 to 7000. Doing that combined with setting Steering torque filter= 4, I no longer have the massive jolts and rattles from hitting curbs or going off track.

Note: I changed those values in BOTH my saved controller profile AND the controller.ini

Note2: I also had to turn up the FFB in-game to compensate for loss of some of the "feel" while driving. I went from 50 FFB in-game to 90. Now the FFB feels great and the curbs and off track are not so violent.

3e9rh.jpg

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/1739-Some-changes-that-may-help-G25-G27-rattling

I'll be trying this too. I have FFB disabled at the moment both because of the horrendous noise it makes and for fear of damaging my wheel. Really detracts from the experience not having it.

Is this issue only affecting logitec. I can't say I've noticed anything too bad on my GT3RS, maybe fanatecs belts absorb the shock a bit.

Well, technically speaking it affects all wheels. The problem is that the FFB is currently completely raw, with no filtering of any kind (according to ISI). It means lots of spikes and sudden, abrupt shocks which can cause a great deal of noise (and stress) on wheels using gears to deliver the forces. On a wheel using belts it will be much quieter, though the amount of stress may be similar.

Note: I am not saying anyone's wheel will break driving this sim! Just that the FFB is not finished yet.

Official statement/tip

Scott Juliano;28090 said:
...such as the G25/G27 you can try increasing this value in your Userdata/player controller.ini file (if you saved your own profile you would have to change it there as well):

Steering torque filter="0"

The range is from 0 to 32.

This will filter the FFB effect over a series of frames, which will smooth out the feedback and reduce the rattle. Please note that as you increase this value the FFB may start to feel a bit "spongy" or "numb" and that it will increase latency.

The reason you don't feel/hear this rattle in many other sims is because they by default provide some filtering. By default we do not.

The value you set this to will be down to personal preference. If it feels good to you, and the rattle/noise is acceptable, then go for it. We did some testing locally and came up with some different values.

One of our internal testers felt 4 was good.
Luc settled on a value of 8. He felt any higher felt to numb for him.
I personally like 16. I could still feel the car, catch it when it got loose, it didn't affect my lap times at all, and I didn't perceive any latency, neither visually nor in feel. Yes, it did feel more on the numb side, but after a few laps I found I liked it actually.

So, give this a try and see if you can find something acceptable...

Edit: Please note this is not a permanent solution, but hopefully will get you to something acceptable for the time being...

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ng-a-strong-noise-rattle-with-your-controller...

Scott and the Luc at ISI have come up with a small tweek you can do in the controller config that will ease the over powerful rattling that some G25/7 owners get when going off track or on the curbs..

Quote from scott:

...such as the G25/G27 you can try increasing this value in your Userdata/player controller.ini file (if you saved your own profile you would have to change it there as well):
Steering torque filter="0"

The range is from 0 to 32.

This will filter the FFB effect over a series of frames, which will smooth out the feedback and reduce the rattle. Please note that as you increase this value the FFB may start to feel a bit "spongy" or "numb" and that it will increase latency.

The reason you don't feel/hear this rattle in many other sims is because they by default provide some filtering. By default we do not.

The value you set this to will be down to personal preference. If it feels good to you, and the rattle/noise is acceptable, then go for it. We did some testing locally and came up with some different values.

One of our internal testers felt 4 was good.
Luc settled on a value of 8. He felt any higher felt to numb for him.
I personally like 16. I could still feel the car, catch it when it got loose, it didn't affect my lap times at all, and I didn't perceive any latency, neither visually nor in feel. Yes, it did feel more on the numb side, but after a few laps I found I liked it actually.

So, give this a try and see if you can find something acceptable...

Edit: Please note this is not a permanent solution, but hopefully will get you to something acceptable for the time being...

Important

Remeber you have to Reselect the profile for it to apply the new .InI file changes
If you simply change the .InI it will have no effect in the game unless you reselect the profile.

The latency is only really gonna be a problem for people who are running lower end systems near the limit. For people with fair to excellent rigs, it should not be noticeable (but it can vary, rig to rig depending on settings such as AA etc )

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 110 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 150 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 286 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 414 39.9%