Steering Wheel options for Simucube 2 Pro?

So I'm looking into buying a Simucube 2 Pro, what are the cheapest steering wheel options?

I looked into Fanatec steering wheels but I'm confused as to what I'd need to actually make it work on the Simucube, do I just need the Fanatec to DD Adapter? If so that's the cheapest option I can think of at about £450.

Are there any other options? I don't feel like spending what I think is egregious prices for a wireless wheel (£1,000+)

Are buttons really necessary on rims? Because I could just buy a rim and a spacer for £200, it'll cost triple that just for buttons.

Last edited:
Shift paddles are useful and necessary if you don't have a shifter. I think the most important buttons after shifter paddles is look left/right buttons. Unless you use vr (or triples I'd guess) you need buttons to turn your head. For that reason I'd look into getting a wheel that comes with at least two buttons. There are cheap wheels in ebay that do just that but naturally you need to figure out the rest on your own.

Apart from shifters and look buttons the rest can easily handled using keyboard or button box (pit limiters, brake bias settings, iracing F# buttons, etc.) and are not necessary to have on wheel unless you drive more complicated cars with hybrids that need more fiddling.

Upvote 0
Well little frustrating over here. I had my simcube 2 for a month now and still can’t use it. Because still haven’t found a F1,GTE class steering wheel in stock everywhere out of stock. Making me question my decision on getting the simcube 2. Maybe I should have got the Fanatec DD pro since they have some really nice steering wheels and always in stock. Open wheel and gte classes are the only thing I like to race the reason why I’m looking for that style wheel.

Upvote 0
I ordered my GT3 wheel before I ordered my SC2 Pro. I think the wheel came in about a week after my wheelbase arrived. My Rally wheel is bare so I got it in 2 days Amazon prime. A standard Momo wheel.

Upvote 0
Well little frustrating over here. I had my simcube 2 for a month now and still can’t use it. Because still haven’t found a F1,GTE class steering wheel in stock everywhere out of stock. Making me question my decision on getting the simcube 2. Maybe I should have got the Fanatec DD pro since they have some really nice steering wheels and always in stock. Open wheel and gte classes are the only thing I like to race the reason why I’m looking for that style wheel.
I was hoping to get an Ascher F64, but that was out of stock when I needed it 2 months ago.
Ended up going with a Cube Controls Formula Pro which I'm happy with. It's in stock in multiple webstores...

Upvote 0
I have the Augury F1S. I like the width. Yes it´s on the bigger side for F1s but on an osw any extra leverage you can afford is nice long term. It´s not to wide and it feels more manly with larger diameters. For GTEs it´s instead just a tad narrow for the optimum. 300 is on the smaller side here. For LMP2s 300 feel spot on so it´s an excellent compromise and easier to integrate in my rig then my 320 mm rims.

The issue I got is the buttons. They are all flush very hard to find while racing. I found a trick to found the flush d-pad but it´s not the most comfortable to use. The rotaries are loose can be activated by misstake in the heat of a moment. All buttons is flush and close to eachother in clusters of three. The top and bottom ones is the only one you can relatively easy navigate to. The other is a total guesswork still after many hours of use. The rotaries on the bottom always tricky to use such rotaries but those are easy to find at least as they actually protrude.

Not saying it doesn´t don´t tend to need all buttons thankfully but it´s the worst layout I ever seen on a button box made to look really great being in all black and flush but in the end function wins over form for me.

Paddles is okay. Not the best for super quick shifting but it could potentially save some gear boxes. I don´t see it handicap me. Would love to see magnetic shifters but it´s quite okay.

Grip works great and there is hardly any flex. The led display when not using VR works good. I like to run bonnet view since I only have a small 35" ultrawide for a more realistic fov so I could run a more tidy screen without an ugly hud.

Upvote 0
This is an old thread but just in case it's of interest.
I converted a Fanatec Formula Rim (the original) and used the Leo Bodnar PCB. Back then there was a bit of soldering required but not now.
Its about 4 years or so now and it has worked flawlessly.
This wheel is plate steel and has 22 functions on it.

I am buying a spare wheel used £175.00 and a bodnar kit (£50) for if and when mine fails.

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'd like to follow up on this thread and ask if there were any new wheels that popped up on the market within the last year.
I plan to upgrade my G27 to Simucube Pro within the next couple of months and wheel availability is still a bit concerning.
While I understand I can install any rim, button box and paddle shifters would be really nice.

Thank you.

Upvote 0
Yes, a number of new wheels have come out. Simucube even sells their own GT wheel now.

Most GT wheels have buttons, rotaries and paddle shifters

Many people have personal favorites. Some people like to build their own.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

You should wait a bit longer for wireless wheels v2 with analogue axes support (if you need clutches), otherwise plenty of vendors to choose from already.

Upvote 0
You should wait a bit longer for wireless wheels v2 with analogue axes support (if you need clutches), otherwise plenty of vendors to choose from already.
Thank you. I'm not in a particularly big rush and can wait up to Black Friday in case there are any deals.
My Heusinkveld Sprints are coming in tomorrow so I first want to focus on getting used to them first.

However, I did see wireless wheels already. How can I tell whether they're V1 or V2?

Upvote 0
  • Deleted member 197115

There are no V2 wheels in existence, nor we have a solid ETA on when we can have them. GD were all talks about it for like a year already. Hopefully soon.
Meanwhile you can look at SRB or Ascher offerings, both are solid and reasonably priced.

Upvote 0
Have you checked out the offerings of Turnracing.com?

He has some midlevel wheels and a button box.

Should work nicely and for a long time if you are on a budget.

Absolute budget option ( not on Simucube level) would be 3drap.it and the associated SpeedmaxRacing.

I have an GT3 kit from them and will not buy again.
It took some tweaking for the shifters to work and I already have swapped both micro switches.
The carbon fiber parts are nice, not so fond of the 3d printed parts ( which they are up front about.)
I´ll probably build myself a new front plate and use the rest of the wheel kit as a button box for my TM Sparco 310.

MFG Carsten

Upvote 0
Have you checked out the offerings of Turnracing.com?

He has some midlevel wheels and a button box.

Should work nicely and for a long time if you are on a budget.

Absolute budget option ( not on Simucube level) would be 3drap.it and the associated SpeedmaxRacing.

I have an GT3 kit from them and will not buy again.
It took some tweaking for the shifters to work and I already have swapped both micro switches.
The carbon fiber parts are nice, not so fond of the 3d printed parts ( which they are up front about.)
I´ll probably build myself a new front plate and use the rest of the wheel kit as a button box for my TM Sparco 310.

MFG Carsten
Thank you.

Yes turnracing is on my short list. I just wish the button plate had proper rotary switches.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years