Steering ratios?

I still think 540/23 is a bit too much; I was using 450/15 in the league races yesterday and it felt wonderful. Overall, I think most people are using way too tight a ratio, which, if they have a bad FFB profile as well, is really hurting them in terms of tyre wear.

Watching that Huisman onboard footage from Macau, it looked like the equivalent setting would be about 740/22 or so, give or take 1 degree, but that may have been a steering rack fitted especially for that event.

It's not 'like a truck' though; 900/10 would be, but 450/15 or similar isn't at all.

If you want faux-F1 (F1 cars use 400-500/~17, 540 at Monaco, not 240-360) feeling then that's up to you, but it certainly isn't what touring cars use.

I will have to experiment with this setting I think. The first race at Istanbul I raced with 270/16-18 which absolutely killed my tires by lap 5 out of a ten lap race. On a side not I think the BMW's grip setting have been tampered with since the last patch, I used to race that setting no problem and be quite fine for that amount (10) of laps.

Changed it to 400 and 23-22, theres a small difference again more testing is needed, valencia and just the BMW in general are becoming increasingly frustrating as I cannot reach my previous pbs any more after the patch. Maybe its all in my head.

Does anyone know the steering ratios for the cars on Race 07/Gtr Evo? Then the equation for finding the correct Degrees and steering lock here will be easier :)

I'll update this list as we go along to be helpfull to everyone

WTCC Cars: 13:1
WTCC '87 Cars:
Minis:
F3000s: 12:1 - 420 degrees
FBMWs: 12:1 - 420 degrees
Caterhams:
Radicals:
GT Pro:
GT Sport:
GT Club:

I'll keep looking and update the list aswell as everyone else :D

Ok, but we still need to know what ratio each car uses for it to be accurate right? I want to use exactly what the real cars use. Like the WTCC cars use 270 degrees of rotation. Or am I not understanding something?

Been looking for months and have not found a thing. I still really need help with this. Why can't it be like LFS where you can set it to the same as the ingame wheel? :(.

At the moment I most want to know what the steering ratio and degrees of rotation the Honda WTCC and the Minis have. But the rest I still would like to know.

For all GT/WTCC/etc cars, I use 720 degrees rotation and 26.5 degrees of lock (or as near to that as I can get). This is accurate; see footage of the E46 of Huisman at Macau for example, and the onboard of Priaulx at Oschersleben last year when he comes out of the pit lane; it matches perfectly. That's also in-line with the figures that I've had as good as validated from the Leon, as posted above. The minis should be roughly the same.

720 rotation with 26.5 lock = 13.5:1 ratio.

If you want a 13:1 ratio like listed above, you need a 27.5 steering lock (27.6 to be exact).

I just use a 15:1 ration for all cars and wheels:

900 rotation, 30 steering lock = 15:1

720 rotation, 24 steering lock = 15:1

540 rotation, 18 steering lock = 15:1

360 rotation, 12 steering lock = 15:1

270 rotation, 9 steering lock = 15:1

Thanks Jamie and Mike :D. So all the WTCC and GT cars use about 720 then? I know that F3000 and FBMW use 420 at 12:1 so how many in-game degrees would that be?

Also, just one more question, what about the Radicals and Cats? And while I'm at it, the street cars too XD. I want it to be as perfect as I can get, because I'm a perfectionist, which gets annoying but meh :p

WTCC and GT cars use a mixture of 540 and 720 or anything in between, but the ratio is more important than where the lockstops are, so I recommend leaving it at 720.

IFM cars I know have a 12:1 ratio, and F3000s use 400 degrees of rotation (FBMW 450 I understand) so essentially it's a case of mixing and matching the numbers. Again my suggestion is to stick with 720 with around 30 degrees of lock, give or take 1 degree or so.

Caterhams have 792 degrees of rotation; but I'm not sure about the steering ratio - should be easy enough to find out with some google digging though, being a DIY car.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 400 40.0%