Steering Ratios in RBR

I have been reading about steering ratios the past few days, something that seems to be discussed quite a bit in other sims, but rarely addressed in RBR. Sure there are discussions about what people set their steering rotations (wheel setting) and max steering lock (car setting) settings to, but these numbers seem to be all over the map, and no explanation to how these numbers were generated.

First, here what started me thinking about this topic:

(tl;dr version: The author thinks sim racers can "cheat" by using overly sensitive steering ratios. Not only do these quick steering ratios turn a sim into an arcade racer by being completely unrealistic, but can cause stability issues at high speeds. We should be using the correct amount of wheel rotation and correct steering ratios for the cars we are driving.)

A post that's definitely worth reading!! This is copied from RSC so it's not necessary to log in there to read, but it's a post by Niels Heusinkveld (Neils_at_home) who is known around the sim-racing world as one of the top physics guys. But this covers steering ratios, and provides excellent insight to the steering ratio!

Heya,

A short point I want to make where us simracers can cheat a bit; the steering ratio. Assuming we have the right Fanatec or Logitech wheels, we can use anything up to 900 degrees on our steering wheels. Depending on the car we drive in the sim, we can set the steering lock somewhere between 15 and 35 degrees, depending if its a F1 car or road car for example.

The ratio between the rotation you use on the wheel and the value you set in the car setup is quite critial. A Corvette Z06 ''supercar'' has a steering ratio of 17.2:1. This means you have to turn the steeringwheel 17.2 degrees for the front tires to turn one degree. I also know a modern single seater car with a 14.5:1 ratio. Perhaps forum users know a few more real life values. In order to get somewhat correct steering sensitivity, it makes sense to copy these values in your simracing hobby. Here is how.

17.2:1 real life steering ratio: Divide your wheel setting, say 900 by this, so 900 / 17.2 = 52.3 degrees. This is the *total* steering, so you have to take half of this: 52.3/2 ~ 26 degrees. This is you car setup value.

For a single seater, its unlikely that they have 900 degrees of steering. Perhaps you know that the car has a 14.5:1 ratio and that the maximum steering is 17 degrees one way, making 34 degrees total. Then you have to set the wheel limits to 34*14.5 = 493 degrees, and set the car setup to 17.

That makes sense. The reason I'm posting is that plenty of people aren't comfortable with 900 degrees. Yet they do want 34 degrees of lock in the car setup. Say you use 450 degrees on your wheel and 34 in the car setup, this is a whopping 6.6:1 steering ratio! That is almost 3x more sensitive than an already sensitive Corvette.. Your drive will be very sensitve, twitchy and unrealistic as a result.

Its much much better to learn how to use 900 degrees on cars that do actually have this much in real life; learn how to re-grip the wheel. Its tricky but driving with a rack that is over 2x too sensitive throws any ''Its a simulation!'' arguments out of the window!

See attached table for some guidelines on how much steering lock to use and what car setup value to choose to stay within reasonable limits.

I hope this helps, over sensitive steering turns sims in to arcade racers!

After reading this, I got to thinking about how this applies to the cars in RBR, and it is really bugging me.

In RBR there is a setting of "Max Steering Lock" and it is measured in degrees, and by default is a large value (504°). This leads me to believe that it is the car's steering wheel rotation value. However, from other discussions I have read, a low setting of this value means you will struggle to make hairpins, and a high value means if the wheel is turned too much you can easily cause understeer. If this is true, this means the steering ratio of the car is fixed and the true steering lock (deflection of the actual wheels and tires) is completely dependent on the amount of the car's wheel rotation (aka: max steering lock). I believe this steering ratio is hardcoded in the physics files of the cars.

Now we cannot change the steering ratio of the car itself, but since we can change the steering lock (wheel/tire deflection) indirectly via the max steering lock value. Since we can change the amount of wheel rotation in the settings of our racing wheels, we now have a way to change the effective steering ratio. For example, if you set the steering wheel rotation to the default value of the car setup, your effective steering ratio matches the steering ratio of the car.

Now here is what bugs me, this does not seem to be what the developers intended at all, most likely because of the racing wheels of the time not able to go all the way to 540°, the wheel rotation of a real WRC car. From what I can tell, the developers intended the racing wheel rotation and the car's wheel rotation to be separated by a factor of around 1.4.

The first thing that tipped me off to this was a post here: http://ascar.motorsportforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=726861

I always had my wheel on the default setting of 200 degrees but specially for the French rally it was far too sensitive then I was reading up on blackhole and rallysim and settled on 540 degrees for the wheel in the profiler then I set the steering lock in RBR (steering and rollbars) to 792. The default is 504 and because of the way that it works, if you set a turning circle of greater than 504 your wheel is very unsensitive. The game is set to use a multiplier of 1.4 to provide steering that feels right so that means that if you are gong to leave it set at 504 you need to set the profiler to 360ish.

Not one to take random internet posts for their word, I dug a little deeper and found this post by none other than Mr. Horsepower, the main physics guy for RSRBR: http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...orsports.com+rbr+g25&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Follow this instructions to have an high efficiency with your G25 !
But remember to have a backup of each deleted or modified tricks,

Setup logitech profiler:

- Degrees of rotation 360° to 540°
- Overall effects strength 100 % to 150%
- Spring effect 0%
- Damper effect 0%
- Centering spring strength to Disable but at 100 %

Setup RBR

in the game directory :)\SCi Games\Richard Burns Rally)

- Delete PC_InputFilter.ini

- In RichardBurnsRally.ini, Delete the first line : "ConstantForceMultiplier = 60".

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVHiblA

In game options :

Go to force feedback options :

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pqj8Bxr

Go to Options/controls/filter/steering/axe/

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVHdIur

Put 792° for the steering ration in the car setup

And for a clutch optimisation :
Download Dxtweak2.exe
http://www.wingmanteam.com/latest_software/gadgets.htm#DX Tweak 2

And do the same:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1utVX9

To my surprise, he recommends a max steering lock of 792°, the max value! This would mean if you ran your wheel rotation at 540°, the ratio would be 1.467 which matches with the ratio in the first post. If you wanted a quicker effective steering ratio, you would put your wheel rotation to 360°, giving you a ratio of 2.2.

So what does all this mean? It means the steering model in RBR has nothing to do with realism and is entirely designed for steering feel when using old racing wheels. The effective steering ratio must be setup via a confusing system of the ratio between your wheels rotation and the car's rotation.

Am I way off base on this? Just trying to make sense of it all, because it is really bugging me!

A huge thanks for this guide! Made RBR amazing to drive! I Just wonder if there is any way to change the 542 which I now always have to change to 792 ingame in a ini file?
It really is a bit annoying that I have to change it every time before the race starts.

Ist there any hack to achieve a fixed 792?

My wheel is a Thrustmaster T150 with 1080° of max rotation. I have it at 540° in the Thrustmaster software and set it to 792° ingame. Feels exactly right spot on! If I just could get the ingame value to 792 for all time..

Maybe some hints?

How do you change the steering ratio???
Change the value in your wheel software to 540 and when you are ingame you have to finetune/ adjust the car before a race starts.
If you enter this menu select the socond entry, after that the last entry on the following screen. There you have to set the value to 792 every time before you start a race. Have fun if you haven't already figured it out yourself;)

is there a way to make the steering faster more responsive without changing the degree of rotation I have it set at 540 and have my filter steering axis all OFF rise/fall rate : INSTANT and it still feels like my real car i drive with 1152 degrees is a lot more responsive than in RBR, any suspension settings i can adjust to make the wheel turn quicker?

Last edited:
anyone know of suspension settings that will make the car turn quicker, i extended the steering rod lenght from 455 to 460 and the steering is much more responsive it seems, any other suspension settings to make it turn faster without changing the degree of wheel rotation?

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 319 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 219 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 160 7.8%
  • < 5 years