Steering Comparisons *idea*

Mach

#47 G.R.Webb Sidecar Racer 1962-1972
This subject has been drawn to my attention since getting into PC racing/driving, and I've often wondered why most people swear by 900' rotation, just for the range I guess. At the end of the day its all personal preference. I haven't found mine yet but mostly go to 900/30, and reduce if necessary.

I guess we could do some comparisons between us and report.

Here's the first one I will try: Check this YT clip out of Fumanelli at Brands Hatch in his Z4 GT3, his maximum rotation at Druids is 180' clockwise; I'm not suggesting he has a 360' maximum but it does give us an idea of what kind of rotation is required by him to get round Druids.

It's still about preference and of course setting per track basis, but this could help.

I set my Logitech Profiler to 900' and let the game change it.

@ the MODS: New here so feel free to put this in another steering thread. :)

Last edited:
Having a 900° wheel allow you to simulate pretty every car in the world, it doesn't say you need to drive with 900° on all cars of the games.

The best way, is when games are aware of the maximum range of the cars and set it automatically.
It's the case in AC and R3E... and other.
Racing car use a narrower range: 540, 400, less (proto, single seater), driving this car with 900 is not accurate but.. as you said it's a lot a matter of personal preferences.

Other thing: even with GT type car having 540° you may not fully use all the range. The maximum allow you to
maneuver the car, but when it comes to driving quick you barely go beyond the 180° (check how many time you really cross your arms...). But this will not say it's better with only 180° range. The narrower the range is the more sensible the wheel will be, if the car is not meant to be drive with such short range, it can be tricky. On the other hand, using a larger range than the one to fit the best the car will give you slower reaction when you need to make small correction.

I must admit, having just done some testing at Brands, in the Z4..540'/23 (stock) does work well, 900' 'is' waaay too much with 30 lock....this setting is new to me having just starting to dig deeper in to R3E and PC Racing. I turned plenty of laps, but I've just been adapting to it, rather than making it work for me. I need more like 720' to be turning the wheel 180' to get Druids..540' was more like 150' maybe..This is a massive setting for this game. Cheers

I use 270 as well. I prefer the, 'tight', feel of the wheel. I did have it set to 200, but there was too much sensitivity going down the straights. Thus far 270 has worked out well. :)

I must admit, having just done some testing at Brands, in the Z4..540'/23 (stock) does work well, 900' 'is' waaay too much with 30 lock....this setting is new to me having just starting to dig deeper in to R3E and PC Racing. I turned plenty of laps, but I've just been adapting to it, rather than making it work for me. I need more like 720' to be turning the wheel 180' to get Druids..540' was more like 150' maybe..This is a massive setting for this game. Cheers

Another R3E Eureka Moment. :cool:
I think an angel just got its wings. :D

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 100 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 132 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 180 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 354 27.9%