PC2 Steering cars questionable.

It doesn't turn, it doesn't turn , it doesn't turn, WOW!!!! then it turns too much and to quickly. Please no flames, I still enjoy the game and play it quite a lot but I would like to get the steering more like RF2. Suggestions please. I use a very good wheel and have, with all the old games and the new ones. I am very competitive at the low to mid settings. I just don't feel like I am in complete control of the car.

Learn to setup the car to how you want it to handle. There are loads of excellent videos on YouTube on how to setup every aspect of a racing car.
You are probably talking about snap oversteer. Look to how to fix that first.

Given Pawgy isn't talking about a specific car - I assume he is talking about all cars. He seems to be talking about severe understeer followed by oversteer. Since the default setup for wheel users is loose I doubt its a setup problem as in my experience the cars in PC2 have less understeer than other sims with the default setup.

I'm guessing if its a global issue in PC2 its a controller issue. I'd go to the controller menu and check in the control scheme that your wheel has been properly detected. Then go to the configuration menu and check steering linearity is set to 50% and there is no steering deadzone. Your description of the issue sounds like you have non linear steering. Linear is actually 50% as it has been in ISI sims for ever but you might set it to 100% thinking that was linear when actually it isn't.

Given Pawgy isn't talking about a specific car - I assume he is talking about all cars. He seems to be talking about severe understeer followed by oversteer. Since the default setup for wheel users is loose I doubt its a setup problem as in my experience the cars in PC2 have less understeer than other sims with the default setup.

I'm guessing if its a global issue in PC2 its a controller issue. I'd go to the controller menu and check in the control scheme that your wheel has been properly detected. Then go to the configuration menu and check steering linearity is set to 50% and there is no steering deadzone. Your description of the issue sounds like you have non linear steering. Linear is actually 50% as it has been in ISI sims for ever but you might set it to 100% thinking that was linear when actually it isn't.

thank you David. I will give this a try shortly.
Went to steering and set to no dead zone but do not have a steering linearty. only a steering sensativity

Last edited:
I think I understand what the OP is referring to. For me, there is a very odd and unnatural event that occurs in cornering. All I can say is that the momentum of the car seems to "die" suddenly when trail braking, causing a very unnatural oversteer. Even just lifting off the throttle all of the cars seem to lose momentum too fast.

Experiencing this too tuning FFB. I felt like it had to do with Tone but I think it's still there and others having the same experience makes me feel like it's part of the game.

EDIT: This is not just 'steering too much' the backend will often step out unexpectedly. To counteract this, I find it helpful to left-foot brake and modulate the throttle such that you never completely remove throttle going through a sharp corner. Seems to be that the rear wheels rotational speed, when too low, causes the physics to 'skid out' the backend (similar to shifting down too quickly and locking up the rear tires).

Last edited:
This happens in this scenario every time in multiple cars I've tried: T2 (top of hill going into dip) at Brands Hatch, try turning into that corner, every time it's difficult to prevent it from oversteering.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with bad physics with regard to low tire rotational speed causing the backend to step out. If you shift into a higher gear it seems to ease the problem (letting the wheels spin quicker?). If you go through the same corner with the clutch engaged you'll notice the oversteer is also much lessened if not completely gone. I'm also in the habit of left-foot braking while also applying some throttle through the corner and that seems to alleviate the issue somewhat, as well.

Wish there was an actual fix but I don't think there is.

Either, as suggested, try left foot breaking and compensate with throttle (on rwd cars) or increase the engine breaking compensation setting in the setup and/or change the brake balance to the dront, what you seem to be experiencing is just brake oversteer for partially locking the rear

Calibration of the steering wheel is very important. Than you have to get the right ffb mod. Set then to your own preference when needed. Steering ratio in the car setup is the last step. Believe me, this is a superb sim with al the toppings.

Calibration of the steering wheel is very important. Than you have to get the right ffb mod. Set then to your own preference when needed. Steering ratio in the car setup is the last step. Believe me, this is a superb sim with al the toppings.

How do you get the right FFB mod? I don't even know what a FFB mod is? Why are there not default settings or tweaks for each common wheel that work like in other sims?

How do you get the right FFB mod? I don't even know what a FFB mod is?

Project Cars 2 has four FFB options you select in-game (Raw, Immersive, Informative and Custom). The "Custom" option lets you use a text fie which defines the FFB parameters to be used. The most popular custom FFB files are produced by Jack Spade and are available on the official PC2 forum. There are also custom FFB files available here at RD. So the FFB "mod" is a text file which the game is designed to use.

Why are there not default settings or tweaks for each common wheel that work like in other sims?

There are default settings which work like in other sims. GamerMuscle, well known for his obsession with FFB, does not use the custom option, neither does Jardier, one of the fastest aliens in PC2, iRacing and R3E.

However, FFB is very subjective and people are looking for different things. Jack Spade for example doesn't produce one custom FFB file but many options.

Last edited:
Project Cars 2 has four FFB options you select in-game (Raw, Immersive, Informative and Custom). The "Custom" option lets you use a text fie which defines the FFB parameters to be used. The most popular custom FFB files are produced by Jack Spade and are available on the official PC2 forum. There are also custom FFB files available here at RD. So the FFB "mod" is a text file which the game is designed to use.

There are default settings which work like in other sims. GamerMuscle, well known for his obsession with FFB, does not use the custom option, neither does Jardier, one of the fastest aliens in PC2, iRacing and R3E.

However, FFB is very subjective and people are looking for different things. Jack Spade for example doesn't produce one custom FFB file but many options.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there a simple database of what settings work well on various popular wheels that could at least be used as a starting point for personal tweaking (I have a Fanatec CSW if it makes any difference)? The game recognized my wheel, but none of the three standard settings produces satisfactory FFB. For example, I cannot feel a ribbed curb/edging in a kart with any of them. I also tried a Jack Spade option that I read was the most realistic, and it was undriveable (at least with the rest of the settings and my wheel all at default).

PCars was plagued with this ridiculous need to have a PhD in FFB (and i know far more than the average person about it) and many gave-up on it as a result. It seems as if PC2 is exactly the same?

Is there a link or a download where some serious sim racer familiar with the sublime FFB that you get out of the box with AMS has figured-out how to replicate that in PC2 (or as close as possible) and has shared settings so others can try enjoying the sim instead of spending hours fiddling with arcane adjustments?

I have read positive reviews that good FFB is there somewhere... At this point, I can't even begin to assess the physics or other aspects of the title due to the whacked FFB.

Thanks for the explanation. Is there a simple database of what settings work well on various popular wheels that could at least be used as a starting point for personal tweaking (I have a Fanatec CSW if it makes any difference)? The game recognized my wheel, but none of the three standard settings produces satisfactory FFB. For example, I cannot feel a ribbed curb/edging in a kart with any of them. I also tried a Jack Spade option that I read was the most realistic, and it was undriveable (at least with the rest of the settings and my wheel all at default).

PCars was plagued with this ridiculous need to have a PhD in FFB (and i know far more than the average person about it) and many gave-up on it as a result. It seems as if PC2 is exactly the same?

Is there a link or a download where some serious sim racer familiar with the sublime FFB that you get out of the box with AMS has figured-out how to replicate that in PC2 (or as close as possible) and has shared settings so others can try enjoying the sim instead of spending hours fiddling with arcane adjustments?

I have read positive reviews that good FFB is there somewhere... At this point, I can't even begin to assess the physics or other aspects of the title due to the whacked FFB.

So I tried a bunch of FFB files...and only one is even remotely plausible on my wheel--the new PRO version available here on RD: https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/ffb-project-cars2.20240/

I am sure there are some that are good that I did not try, but what does the fact that this one works well mean? Is anyone knowledgeable enough to say which of the myriad of Jack Spade versions would be most similar to this "PRO" version?

If not, I'll just give-up and do the same thing I did with PC1. Ignore tons of good content because the ball was completely dropped on FFB. It is the gateway to the rest of a sim for me. If it's unpleasant or implausible, then nothing in the rest of the sim is worth spending valuable limited time pursuing.

Guys, your problems with the cars in low speed corners where the rear wheel is unloaded sound a lot ike your engine breaking setting is set to high. That can effectively lock your rear wheels unless you give some thottle input effectively canceling the engine break. I find that i really have to work on the setups of some cars to get them going. Especially diff and engine settings with suspensions afterwards to cure any excessive understeer/oversteer. I am doing the radicals in the career atm and for the first race at donnington I had to fiddle a lot with the settings for the car to feel planted and not breaking away in unstoppable oversteer at the slightest by it of excess speed. It is still a nervous car but now it feels lot more planted and as long as I remember that 2nd gear takes me all the way over 100mph it is really fine. You do need to get the time in setting up the car. It does give you some of the best sim racing experiences though.

Guys, your problems with the cars in low speed corners where the rear wheel is unloaded sound a lot ike your engine breaking setting is set to high. That can effectively lock your rear wheels unless you give some thottle input effectively canceling the engine break. I find that i really have to work on the setups of some cars to get them going. Especially diff and engine settings with suspensions afterwards to cure any excessive understeer/oversteer. I am doing the radicals in the career atm and for the first race at donnington I had to fiddle a lot with the settings for the car to feel planted and not breaking away in unstoppable oversteer at the slightest by it of excess speed. It is still a nervous car but now it feels lot more planted and as long as I remember that 2nd gear takes me all the way over 100mph it is really fine. You do need to get the time in setting up the car. It does give you some of the best sim racing experiences though.
Already tried suggesting this, but it seems they feel the need to mod the game or find other solutions.
After all everyone knows vanilla FFB is s**t (?).
Most pCars2 setups are more ovesteery than the same car in other games, try to bring them closer before confronting.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 300 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 210 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 201 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 151 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 267 13.6%