"STEER_RATIO" into "setup.ini" - how to do it?

Can anyone help me - is there a way to include "STEER_RATIO" from "car.ini" into "setup.ini" and what is in general the convention for the options in "setup.ini"? It would be nice to have it and change the car`s steering ratio while in session from the pits. Your experience or some web links would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I looked with search and didn`t find anything on the topic incl. on the official forum. Seems to be outside of peoples minds altogether. Still can be very useful for drift sessions.

Did you ever figure this out? I'm working on the '71 NASCAR mod, which started life as 540-degree rotation @ 16:1 ratio. I'd love to get the full 900-degree range of my G29, and found a happy place with 30:1 for myself, but I'm sure the series I'll be integrating this into will want to adjust that if possible.

If you have a Fanatec wheel (the older ones; I'm not sure about the DD models), you can touch the tiny button (upper left). go to SEN (a misnomer; sensitivity is something else) and use the adjacent pot to vary the ratio: smaller numbers = faster ratios & v.v. The best thing about this is that you can do it in game, while you're driving.

No guys, I didn't find a way to include it in pits setup screen. I know how the Fanatec wheels work as I'm using GT3RS and Carrera but what I meant is the ability to translate the same 900 degrees into a range of selectable steer locks and it seems impossible. Decreasing the SEN of the Fanatec diminishes the degrees of rotation and that is bad for the steering precision that is required for drifting. In some arcade games it works, not in Assetto.

it makes the strength of ffb less linear, you still have to turn the steering wheel the exact same amount to turn the car. It's not "as good as we'll get" it literally does something unrelated

No guys, I didn't find a way to include it in pits setup screen. I know how the Fanatec wheels work as I'm using GT3RS and Carrera but what I meant is the ability to translate the same 900 degrees into a range of selectable steer locks and it seems impossible. Decreasing the SEN of the Fanatec diminishes the degrees of rotation and that is bad for the steering precision that is required for drifting. In some arcade games it works, not in Assetto.

Increasing/decreasing changes the perceived ratio. That is, the lock-to-lock angularity in the road wheels remains the same, but if you have only 3/4-turn lock-to-lock with the steering wheel, the steering feels very fast; 3 turns lock-to-lock feels very slow. IRL, at Indy, the drivers use a slower ratio in qualy, for precision. In the race, they use a faster ratio for close-quarters combat. Don't sneeze!

Not a matter of sneezing :) Just in a drifter with >50 degrees lock I want to be able in setup to select bigger ratios on the rack for normal street driving. That can't be done by decreasing the rotation on the gaming wheel. Seems the only way is to have several versions of "data.acd" at hand and juggle them by renaming in Windows before loading with CM.
ps - Hat off to the drivers that can stay on the limit while using different steering ratios on the same car in a weekend.

Last edited:
any luck trying to add ANY adjustable parameters to setup.ini? im working on my own project trying to add some suspension parameters so i can adjust in the pits and see the results quickly. the stuff im adding just isnt showing up at all. whether i try to make a new tab or add the parameters to an existing tab. when i did the later the entire tab just disappeared. setup.ini seems to not be as straight forward as it appears.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 301 13.3%