@steelys AC Servo G-Seat project

Hi Guys, in the spirit of other members of the DIY community I though I'd share my progress for my G-Seat project that's been going on in the background for the better part of this last year. Others have inspired me and I hope my learnings can help other masochists. (OR) really show you exactly how much is involved and save you a few hundred hours of your life and just get your wallet out.

I've had 3 different major prototypes with handfuls of iterations in them; I'm now on what I think is the one that's going to work.

Disclaimer: This is just a one off for me - I don't have any plans to release a kit, designs etc. I'm happy to share learnings, but this has waaaaay way too much fabrication involved to be an easy open source DIY design. Dimensions, loads, weights, angles all vary from seat and humans and this is super dangerous - I've seen how fast servos can end up moving seat flaps, too high/too much torque and you will break a rib.

But if you're hell bent on doing it, if my blogs/videos can help you save some time/money, I'm happy to share.

Big shout out to: Bruce, Saxxon66, J.R, Buri, Flag, Volk etc - lots of ideas, shared problem solving etc.

I've written up a handful of blog posts and captured some videos of the progress to date. I'm like this --> <--- close to having it all hold up under full load which I'm pretty stoked about.

20200127_124522-1024x768.jpg

G-Seats' are freaking awesome; this video should really convey how awesome they are :

My playlist on YouTube for it

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3UGjbNtp5quXxbQ0f8wQI3lJCrvWCFDl

All the details on my current prototype

https://www.rowanhick.com/2020/02/01/diy-g-seat-prototype-3-the-power-pack

And my old prototypes here

https://www.rowanhick.com/motion-simulator

Last edited:
Well the global supply chain shutdown (aka China) is starting to affect DIY sim racing; the last piece to my puzzle above is getting some bigger/larger pitch belts and pulleys. The HTD3M is not cutting it and I'm having issues with the belts slipping under load.

I've ordered some HTD5M/25mm wide belts/pulleys but looking like they're not going to get shipped out anytime soon. Supposed to go out last week but factory had extended shutdown, doubt the factory is open this week.

[Note : not complaining at all, just observing how widespread this is - really feel for the people affected; I messaged the seller to pass on wishes and I would understand on delays ]

Upvote 0
Thanks @Wmacky ! my seat's very narrow so it's the worst case possible. (just over 400mm internal width of the bracket). Any bigger seat should be reasonably easy to adapt to by making a wider bracket. I think my sheet metal guys were spot on with the Fusion360 drawing to finished product dimensions which was seriously impressive - would make life easier to adapt for others knowing you get what you design.

Just got a tracking number from Aliexpress which bodes well for getting parts to continue the project shortly...

Upvote 0
Hi guys I'm very excited received parts from China yesterday. Evidently it's not completely closed and there are some companies/shipments making it.

I got one side of my G seat working last night - I managed to get an hour of testing with no failures! I only had one belt slip and after tightening an idler pulley the next half hour work solid.

As is the process with prototyping I found a lot of areas to do some refinements in namely there is a lot of flex in the system as the loads have increased that's next up on the todo list.

New blog post: video, piccies, and my next steps to do list to refine things.

https://www.rowanhick.com/2020/03/0...ger-belts-pulleys-thinking-about-argon-drives

20200302_202658-scaled.jpg

20200302_214505-1024x768.jpg

Upvote 0
Reached a pretty cool milestone for my G-seat project, and some cool developments/ideas. I've started pulling together a google doc of the BOM, useful links, AASD setup, SimFeedback setup in case anyone else is remotely mad enough to go down this path [hint: go the GS-5 unless you're a complete nut job like me!] but that said there's a few nut jobs or generally interested souls so have a read through here, doc link is in it.

https://www.rowanhick.com/2020/03/11/steelys-g-seat-milestone-reached

I've gotten sick of working with the seat itself, and decided to do a full modular drop in replacement of the seat, all in cnc cut/folded alloy. It's going to be *awesome*. Have some sneaky WIP pictures in the blog/google doc ;)

Upvote 0
Verry nice project! I saw you are using belts and pulleys, just wondering, have you considered a 90 degree gearbox and then mount the motor horizontally? 1 on the top and 1 on the bottom of the "power pack"

1584609586539.png

Upvote 0
Thanks ! I did consider this. However when I realised you could get then I had sunk cost in everything else. Also I think belts give a potential "designed in failure point" instead of your ribs :) besides which they're pretty pricey..... It certainly would be way simpler to use them all said.

Upvote 0
I think i will have a go to build my own g-seat after i finished our home and have the SFX-100 ready and running. I promised my wife to first finish our home before building a motion rig...... so this will take

Upvote 0
I quoted some company specialized in the motors for some gearboxes info and they recommended to me using "planetary" (straight) gearboxes when you want to have quickly changing motion between clockwise / counterclockwise as opposed to other types (90 degree bend etc.).

I can't remember reasons though :)

Upvote 0
For anyone that hasn't clicked through to my blog/google doc. I'm working on a complete G-Seat frame, throwing away the imitation bride seat, and going full alloy on the seat/frame/powerpack that can drop into any sim rig that's ~500mm internal width. Now assuming my CNC boys don't shut down I should be able to get parts ordered next week....

Here's a work in progress of where it's at :

GSseat bracket - RevisionB v25.png

Upvote 0
More progress... a bit slower going as I can't get any bits manufactured at the moment so getting other projects done in between chipping away at it. However very close once lock down lifts to go get this all manufactured.

Big blog update here :

https://www.rowanhick.com/2020/04/13/steelys-g-seat-modular-frame-rethinking-my-g-seat

View attachment 362592

read the blog post, that is pretty impressive stuff and as you say removing the seat seems so obvious once someone has done it!

you have quite a layback position there, will the seat be adjustable for rake to allow more a rally / touring car seating position?

i think this setup and a harness tensioner would provide some awesome force simulation. On the harness front had you considered a standalone backplate area behind the neck and head that would have the holes for a harness and provide a head rest? I was only be thinking something about shoulders upward, but it may be something individuals can do themselves should they so desire?

looking forward to future updates.

Phil

Upvote 0
read the blog post, that is pretty impressive stuff and as you say removing the seat seems so obvious once someone has done it!

you have quite a layback position there, will the seat be adjustable for rake to allow more a rally / touring car seating position?

i think this setup and a harness tensioner would provide some awesome force simulation. On the harness front had you considered a standalone backplate area behind the neck and head that would have the holes for a harness and provide a head rest? I was only be thinking something about shoulders upward, but it may be something individuals can do themselves should they so desire?
Hi Phil! Thanks for the kind words :) to answer your questions :

For seat position, yes in theory it should be fairly adjustable, but may need a supplemental bracket to acheive a more vertical seating position.

For harnesses/tensioners yeah I've considered a little spine/head rest/tensioner holder support area. Low down on the priority list at the moment - possible/probable.

I'll keep this thread updated. Hopefully I'm sending drawings off in a weeks time to get quoted up for fabrication ;)

R

Upvote 0
Hi Phil! Thanks for the kind words :) to answer your questions :

For seat position, yes in theory it should be fairly adjustable, but may need a supplemental bracket to acheive a more vertical seating position.

For harnesses/tensioners yeah I've considered a little spine/head rest/tensioner holder support area. Low down on the priority list at the moment - possible/probable.

I'll keep this thread updated. Hopefully I'm sending drawings off in a weeks time to get quoted up for fabrication ;)

R

cool, looking forward to hearing more there are so many advances and ideas flying around sim racing at present, it’s really great to see the level of ingenuity and inventiveness people are applying. Esp if you are a nerd like me and you love seeing all the projects!

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 235 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years