SteamVR crashing when trying to start RRE

Des Pearce

Premium
Not had a chance to do any sim racing in a month but decided to make some time this weekend only to find that Raceroom won't run in VR. I've tried both beta and vanilla SteamVR and get the same result. I've verified the integrity of the Raceroom files in Steam to no effect so I'm out of ideas.

Is it worth doing a fresh install?

Is it worth doing a fresh install?
Possibly. There have been times when a reinstall has fixed issues for me that a validate did not.

But first, try deleting My Documents\My Games\SimBin, which will reset all your settings to default and has been known to resolve some issues. (You might want to back up your controller profiles and car setups first. Or not.)

But what is R3E doing when you run it? Does it just never load or not even start loading? Is there an error message of any kind? Does it start in regular 2D mode? Do other SteamVR games run ok? Perhaps try reinstalling SteamVR rather than R3E. If you're using an Oculus HMD, have you tried using OpenComposite instead of SteamVR? (You should do this anyway on Oculus.)

I'm using a HP Reverb G2.

All other Steam games run in VR fine.

R3E is getting to the loading screen on the monitor, nothing in the headset (still on Windows VR interface) and then SteamVR crashes with a choice of restart or quit. R3E is still running on the monitor (mirror of hmd) but everything is in slow motion and stuttery (like the pc is struggling).

I'll try deleting the SimBin folder, restart the PC and give it another go.

R3E is getting to the loading screen on the monitor, nothing in the headset (still on Windows VR interface) and then SteamVR crashes with a choice of restart or quit. R3E is still running on the monitor (mirror of hmd) but everything is in slow motion and stuttery (like the pc is struggling).

Make sure you're running a non beta Windows mixed reality. I was having the same issue and I switched from the WMR beta to vanilla in Steam and it worked first try.

If you've ever opted into a beta for a game/tool on Steam, it will remember that fact even when you reinstall it. You need to manually opt out to get back to the standard version. :thumbsup:

Hope it solves your issue.

I too have exactly the same problem with my Reverb G2. This started after lthe latest update to Raceroom last week.

Probably an old thread, but the only way I managed to eliminate random crashes on my Hp Reverb G2 even with the newer cable was to disable hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.

Attachments

• GPU Scheduling.jpg
    GPU Scheduling.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 31

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 72 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 101 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 142 14.6%