Steam

I had a very simular problem not long ago having to do the profile name again and again then change the setting mostly the graphics every time that i switched the game on. But when my hard drive failed and had to install everything from scratch touch wood everything has been ok. I hope that you can get it sorted soon your not the only one

Steam creates new installs in my win profile and calls them install 2, install 3, install 4 und so weiter. I don't like to start every practice session with starting the game and finding that I dont have the mod files in place every f***ing time.

Aah, that should be easy. Delete them all. The whole My Docs\SImBin\Race 07 and all the install 1....2....3....4.. That should take care of install x issue.

Backup everything from the original folder (UserData, CustomSkins are what really matters)
Delete all Install x AND the original My Docs\SimBin\Race 07 folder.
Start the game (don't make a new profile, quit at first chance you get, simply starting config.exe works too, anything that makes the game check it's folderstructure), it will create a new folder.
Copy&Paste you backups to correct place.
Hey Presto, you should have only one folder.

Check that your game is installed to Steam\steamapps\[user]\Race07\ and NOT Steam\Common. When we had that update fiasco a while back, it created new Install x folders if the game was installed in the wrong Steam folder.

Thanks Kenneth, you are a truly helpful and kind friend. And about my complaining. Do you think an average computer user can figure this out. I have done what you describe several times before and it has been changed by some oligopoly like, advertising - software distributor service that I wish would go to a very, very warm place. What can be the reason for changing a fully working installation, and on top of it without asking the owner? The actual problem-source is far far away from my keyboard.

It did the same to me a couple of weeks ago, launched steam, steam update, launched game, goes straight to video settings, launched game again, all profiles gone, wheel settings gone, etc etc:mad:

I had to copy my plr's back from my back up drive and re-setup my wheel/FFB settings which are still not absolutley right

I know have 2 installs in mydocs

Jim

They will make me lose my mind. The game must be adjusted every time I start the computer. Settings are changed constantly by the stupidest service I ever have paid good money for.
Don't remember seeing anyone else complaining. PEBKAC.

I did not have any problem this time, but I rememeber when what Valter describes happened to me, and it was not fun, and hard to figure out. Also, we have had problems with terrible timing on un-announced steam updates

In my line of work the customer are always right, if they are having problems with our product/service it is our problem, and our customers range from 18 years old and up to 70 :)

PS: I am not complaining on Steam, only defending Valter's right to be a frustrated customer ;)

And about my complaining. Do you think an average computer user can figure this out.

Your complaint was legitimate - something is wrong with your install and it annoys you. Legitimate. Anyone saying you shouldn't complain is doing a disservice to you and others, so you might as well ignore them.

The average user doesn't know what do and how to react to steam-created problems. Worse still when some "experts" claim that Steam doesn't create anyone serious problems because it didn't happen...to them.

Unless a customer engages on systematic creation of problems to him/herself and blaming it on the software/service, any customer has a right to complain. Fortunately, some people here, at Steam forums, SimHq and NG try to help out others and not rub it in their noses.

By the way, last week Steam stopped recognizing my credentials (for no reason) and as a result bye-bye to offline mode. "Experts" said the usual nonsense about the problem I and others had - user mistakes, lack of knowledge of the platform, lack of knowledge about computers and other assorted idiocies. A couple of days later, Steam announced that offline mode was wrecked again and they would be issuing a fix. Fortunately, I managed to solve my problem without their "fix", after a dozen hour spree of desperate search around the web.

Steam has problems. Users should be helpful when they can. Period.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back