Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

I lost nothing in the "reconfiguring" of the game. All the content I had stayed intact, addon's and mod's both. I would have been truly stuck without Kennett's help. Since I still use XP I couldn't follow his direction to the letter but had good ideas as to what I was looking at. Still, it took me a number of tried to get operating with the right profile but I just kept at it. Some understand PC's better than I and seem to have conquered the change with just a few keystrokes, Fantastic! Others aren't doing so well or it took them a bit more to get going again, I hope you're a small group.

Overall I think this is a small thing in a great sim.

Every system is unique, we all have slightly different components, some may have different paths to programs, some have third party stuff installed, some have customized their install very far... I have had reports of 100% success and 100% failures. In the latter case, in hindsight you could say that ignoring the update was the best way to do it. It still could be that Steam will revert back, we don't know. But without some feedback and discussion we can't know what is the best way... I've done the same process with PrestoGP guys at the same time, same problems and successes there.

I do have one criticism to Steam, this was a huge change and it involves a lot of manual editing. No word, no warning and most importantly: no tutorials, not what so ever... Have anyone checked raceroom forums? What do they say there?

Have anyone checked raceroom forums? What do they say there?
''Great Steam''
''I'd be happy if Simbin told Steam to take a flying leap......''
''i have an answer but i cant type it as i would have to ban myself for use of bad language...''
''This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

I have tried to play the game all morning, installing again, uninstalling and everything is "F***D up". And now what...who is responsible for this?? ''

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1617964&postcount=7

Poster at NG:

Beaverz;1617964 said:
Well... bad news, people. When I try to verify game cache I got massive amount of broken file.
The game did start for me but it took a really long time and I have to start task manager then rapidly Alt+tab to make it works. Not sure if the game is broken of Steam just got stupid.
And I'm not sure if I can ever start it again since when I verified cache for Race 07 it had 5 broken file so I have to re-download them, next I went to verify GTR Evo cache and I got 5 broken files so I download them as well. Then I went back to verify Race 07 cache and guess what, the bloody 5 broken files came back again.

And another:

tmsr;1618296 said:
I still can't access through any of the other expansions but Race07 does work again with all content present and correct. (I have all expansions independently, not through Race Injection)
I was also having the problem that some have reported of slow loading times. Last night STCC and Race On downloaded an update and that seems to be solved - loading now around 15 seconds for a practice session rather than 5 minutues.

That side note of yours makes all the difference. For a lot of people I know, with more than 7 GB of mods installed, this "update" has been creating lots of problems.

Hence what I said above. Better not go online, it'll save people a lot of trouble.

i just been reading such things and wanted to give some kind of feedback, as to maybe why mine worked...:)

I prepared before updating ... desactivating all mods and addon tracks ...
So, as you Rupe, I have no problem afterwards.

Surely Chronus's advice not to go Steam online if you have many mods is not bad to follow.
Steam Online is not necessary for joining servers.

Unfortunately this is all on Steam/Valve as they are the ones that have changed the install of Race 07. It would have been nice if they would have announced it and ran a beta test of the process to determine what would happen, but they did not do so as far as I can tell.

There are reports on all the sites I visit about this issue, with the exception of ISI, but why should they talk about Race 07, hehehe. NoGrip, Raceroom, Sim racing Pro and here.

Every site is suggesting the same things to make a smooth transition, but the fact is that unless you have a clean install in the first place, you are not going to have a smooth transition. You will have to work at getting things to work at all and until another update, you won't have anything work exactly right.

i just been reading such things and wanted to give some kind of feedback, as to maybe why mine worked...:)

The more people give their feedback the better, no doubt. You and Jean-Pierre took some precautions and fortunately had no trouble.

Fortunately for some they informed themselves about the consequences of such an update. Sadly, many allow Steam to connect automatically and unknowingly were subjected to these problems.

As Jim says, it's all on Steam, the community does its best to help, but Steam...bad move.

Jim Cole said:
You will have to work at getting things to work at all and until another update, you won't have anything work exactly right.

Yes, that's what lots of simracers are saying.

And then a new update comes, after all this work and trouble, and people run the risk of wrecking it again. Begs the question: why don't Steam work with SIMBIN step by step?

Yes, that's what lots of simracers are saying.

And then a new update comes, after all this work and trouble, and people run the risk of wrecking it again. Begs the question: why don't Steam work with SIMBIN step by step?

That should be the best but it's surely not the way Steam does it :cry:
Too many gamers don't take precautions enough before doing things making a big change in games.
I'll never trust Steam's proposals. First verify.
In this case, I read everywhere posts for more than 2 hours for a change in the game that lasted +- 40 minutes.

I agree. But then I disabled automated updates by Steam.

One thing a lot of people requested from Steam is that we had Race07 files installed like DVD/offline Race07, makes it easier to mod, etc.

Well, people are saying after this update, we finally get what we asked for but at a price for many...

They could do things in very simple way and avoid all these issues. But they choose otherwise. And for no real reason.

Well it asked me the question and I clicked no straight away.......didn't matter. It started updating anyway.

What the hell does this mean? It's at 60% already.

Does this mean I am screwed?? Will I lose my mods/tracks??

I wasn't able to do anything before it started updating.

I just wanted to have a quick race online and now.........I don't even know if it will work.

Just.............WHY!!!!!

Well it asked me the question and I clicked no straight away.......didn't matter. It started updating anyway.

What the hell does this mean? It's at 60% already.

Does this mean I am screwed?? Will I lose my mods/tracks??

I wasn't able to do anything before it started updating.

I just wanted to have a quick race online and now.........I don't even know if it will work.

Just.............WHY!!!!!

Maybe not everything, maybe even manage to save it all. There are some solutions. At NG someone solved his problems, but it took almost 2 hours.

Good luck, Jack. Btw, maybe the solutions posted in this thread (right here) can be useful to you? Hope so.

EDIT:

Maybe you can peruse through this and find some more tips:

http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1618530#post1618530

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back