Steam & RACE 07/ON GTR EVO changes on 01/09/12

I've noticed that Steam has moved around the way it stores my Race On data, now all the data has moved to:
X:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
(stored with rest of the steam games instead of steamapps\USERNAME\RACE07) & now includes all subfolders & files loose.

This means all mods have to be relocated & unfortunately some mods are playing up.

Also problems with launching the game being encountered at our end.

Just a heads up.

EDIT: Problem of launching the game seems to be solved by deleting all content, reinstalling Race 07, shutting steam down, restarting & then in to game.

Mod Edit: tutorial for relocation here, by @Kennett Ylitalo

Once I heard of all this, I switched to Steam offline ... to prepare everything and save for safety.
Now, I'm gonna use Simracing Manager to desactivate all mods and tracks ... to the OFF folders I placed in another folder than the game itself.
After update, I'll just have to give SRM the new locations of game executable and OFF mods ...
I think it'll take less time than moving all files from one folder to another one.

A chance I mostly have 2 or 3 activated mod or addon track at a time.;)

Those who have practiced the right way of handling game files in Race07 will chuckle the whole day when all the new powerusers have to copy gb after gb of stuff ;)

Sadly my old install has a TON of stuff deactivated (WIP mods and tracks plus backups..) so i'm still copying.. Started during F1 qualy and i'm still waiting...

This is from J-F Chardon
Steam has refactored the way Race'07 exists within the Steam folders and we were not given notice.

It seems like to avoid corrupt files, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and addons is the only way.

With regards to car setups and custom skins, or saved championships, they are not lost.

You can either copy your Race'07 user folders (EXCEPT GameInstallDir.ini) into the newly created Race'07 Install 2 or do follow the steps below if you have computer know-how :

** Only for advanced users **

- Reinstall Race'07 and its addons

- Locate My Documents\SimBin\RACE 07\GameInstallDir.ini

- Edit it with Notepad.exe

- Modify the content to become : GameInstallDir=C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\RACE 07
*!!* Replace the part in red if you installed Steam in a different folder *!!*

- Delete My Documents\SimBin\Race'07 install 2\ that has been created

- Start the game

No, that's not true, all content worked beautifully after the update. I got all but WTCC2010. Modded content is the biggest pain in the neck.

DON'T USE INSTALL2 !!!!

Follow these instructions after you've finished updating but before you start the game

Rename My Docs\SimBin\Race 07 folder, let's pretend we'll rename it as Race07bak. Start the game and exit at the first possible moment (config screen). Exit the game. Copy all folders from the Race07bak to the default location that was created when you started the game, ie My Docs\SimBin\Race 07.

Using Install2 is going to be a pain in the neck later. There is some mods and third party software that automatically presumes you're using the default my docs folder. Plus i can promise that you'll end up copying stuff to the old My Docs\SimBin\Race 07 and then wondering why it doesn't show in game...

This has worked and works on all new installs of the game. This update is major one so START WITH RACE07 not from any of the expansions. It will not start correctly from anything but the base game afte any update. This may have caused the confusion of game not starting after the update.

EDIT: My install is tested and works. Do not overconfuse, even thou this is major update, it isn't that complicated. I followed my instructions, update, copy gamedata+uidata, rename mydocs\simbin\race07 etc. First start and game behaves exactly like it should, all carsetups, customskins, replaydata, everything works.

It is simple, i'll put the steps here.. Mind, you i have tested this myself and it works.
What changed:
The location of the gamefiles. Nothing else, no physics updates, no bug fixes, we are still driving Race 07 v1.2.1.10. It's a major change so the game has to be started from Race 07, not from any of the expansions. In the first start after update you'll get config screen. It acts like a new install so My Docs\SimBin requires some action too.

The old address:
Steam\steamapps\[STEAM USER ID]\Race 07

The new address:
Steam\steamapps\common\Race 07

Everything after that is the same as before. So it's only one change, the STEAM USER ID changed to "common".

Customskins and player profile:
Rename the old SimBin\Race 07 folder in My Docs. Start and close the game (no need to go past config screen). This creates a new My Docs\SimBin\Race 07 folder. Copy all folders from the old renamed Race 07 to the new one (Customskins and userdata are the most important ones).. Do not copy the two txt files (sysinfo.txt and GameInstallDir.ini)

Mods and tracks:
Copy everything from your old Gamedata and UIData to the new location. Windows will ask for "Folder Replace", click "Yes to All".

End of "tutorial"

EDIT:
XD users: Install XD to the new location.. Or copy d3d9.dll to the new location. If you do the latter, you don't need to re-install dx9 from Microsoft...

Real Time Telemetry doesn't require changes.

MoTec users need to edit their PLR files.

MotedADD users should have their product working like normal, AFAIK

ADDITIONS:

Chronus and Hiroshi mentioned the off-line method: start steam in offline mode, go to game properties and switch auto updates off while your at it. You can use all Race07 online features with Steam offline. This definitely the easiest and fastest but since most players have Steam in on-line mode and auto updates on, it's not for everyone. Steam is just a glorified launcher anyway...

J-P Blanchys mentioned that you can speed up the update process by copying the old Steam\steamapps\[STEAM ID]\Race07 to Steam\steamapps\common\Race 07 without any mods or addon tracks.. This is a bit risky but if your confident that your current Race07 and all expansions are 100% functional it's second fastest way to do handle this pain in the neck.

Took me over an hour, 2.2gb download for me.
What does it download? My game still is fully working? After that conversion (took half a minute).
It is downloading but Race07 is already installed or not?

Argh, not moved to common folder. What is this supposed to mean?
I will just for research cancel the download...
...aah OK, it wants to download every single file but to where? No way, will reinstall it.

What does it download? My game still is fully working? After that conversion (took half a minute).
It is downloading but Race07 is already installed or not?

Argh, not moved to common folder. What is this supposed to mean?
I will just for research cancel the download...
...aah OK, it wants to download every single file but to where? No way, will reinstall it.

Short answer: it doesn't matter what you do, you need to download as much data as when doing fresh install. With fresh install you need to install mods and tracks, make all profiles, program/controller settings, download car setups and loose a lot of data. Following that tutorial you keep all old data..

Click uninstall and then re-install and lose all old data, it's definitely easier The download package size is the same, time you need to wait is the same. Your choice.

Before you all start bitching, i'm almost 100% sure that this change is to stop skidrows from using the vulnerability hack plus removing some other similar hacks that are suspected to have existed for years... This is the way the game really has always been, the Steam used system, while novel in some degree, was really vulnerable, the file protection was pretty much a joke. This has more chances of stopping rampant hackers...

More questions coming! Did we always have Locations and Teams folder in RACE without installing a single mod?
I'm right now installing from a RACE On retail DVD and it brings a bunch of new files never existed in my backuped old folder.

Well, now I understand what you said about the download, Kennett. I really have to download it again. The base game only. At least. But still a joke. RACE On and STCC 1 are installed correctly from DVD:thumbsdown:

It is simple, i'll put the steps here.. Mind, you i have tested this myself and it works.

What changed:
The location of the gamefiles. Nothing else, no physics updates, no bug fixes, we are still driving Race 07 v1.2.1.10. It's a major change so the game has to be started from Race 07, not from any of the expansions. In the first start after update you'll get config screen. It acts like a new install so My Docs\SimBin requires some action too.

So, as Hiroshi did, it's best not to go online, there seems to be no reason to: "no physics updates, no bug fixes, we are still driving Race 07 v1.2.1.10".

After getting everything working properly, and firing up Race 07 twice to make sure my profile is there, is it possible to launch the game from an expansion? I keep trying to launch from GTR Evolution, as I used to do before the update, but nothing shows up.

It's not very important, but I like Evo's menu style most.:D

After getting everything working properly, and firing up Race 07 twice to make sure my profile is there, is it possible to launch the game from an expansion? I keep trying to launch from GTR Evolution, as I used to do before the update, but nothing shows up.

It's not very important, but I like Evo's menu style most.:D
Dito only Race07 works, and I don't like the baby blue style

It seems that now yes, you can only start from Race 07. I've been trying other expansions and none work, nothing starts.

Let's hope Simbin / STEAM can fix this in the next days. Honestly, I liked the old system more. Now I have to be very careful when deleting mods, or I might delete a default car/track. With the old system, I knew that everything in GameData was a mod, so it was easy to do a clean when something went really bad...

Oh well, guess I have to get used to it. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 102 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 79 9.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 52 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 109 13.4%