Steam or Disk?

Tim Ling

It's a million-to-1 chance, but it just might work
What's the best way to buy the game? Steam is more expensive, but is easier to install, requires no patching so is that worth an extra £8?

• winger

I bought on Steam Race 07 & Evolution combined, and fair enough, I've had no problems so far. Wish I'd looked around for a boxed set though.

• Christian Dorsey

I like Steam because it organizes the games for me and I can mount them on a number of machines easily without worrying about where the disc is located.

There is no manual with the boxed version. It's a PDF on the DVD so it's the same as Steam in that regard.

The good thing about the DVD is the offline install. You can use that to test tracks, skins, and mods without messing up your online install.

• Mika Pyhäjärvi

I bought DVD because I have slow internet connection (1/512). Someday if I have to install it again it wont take forever to download the whole game.

I'm rating Steam, there's no mess, no clutter and no lost disks.

Time after time I have needed to take my GTL disk out to pop in the GTR2 disk, popped the GTL disk on the desk, next time I try to find it, well, I don't know where the wife has 'tidied' it away too.....Steam all the way.

Jai

It's basically the same thing.

If you buy the disc and start installing it, the disc will install Steam for you and quickly get the game on your PC, instead of downloading it from internet and then install.

The only thing the boxed version offers over the Steam download is indeed the box, the manual, the quicker installation and the option to install offline (which is more like a downgrade than an extra feature).

Then again, downloading it from Steam doesn't require you to go to a store. You can simply order and pay it while hanging back enjoying the idea of saving the walk for a drink.

For those that already owned RACE07 adding it though Steam is cheaper as I'm not confident that the expansion pack is actually out in boxes.

• Peter Byun

I say go with Steam. It's convenient and for me only took 30 minutes to download on a so-so DSL connection. I know niche games like racing sims are not that widely available in the retail stores so I could go around driving to different stores looking for the game and not have any luck. It's been 2 weeks and I haven't seen a single copy in any store.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 357 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 251 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.3%