Steam is being a pain again

Jim Hawley

PrestoGP Veteran
A while back steam decided to give me an extra race07 folder (install 2), I didn't touch anything it just did, this has caused me issues with skins and other stuff

Last night when I tried to launch the game it came up "failed to launch-missing exe" so I did what steam recommended (exit/delete appcache/restart etc) and it worked, I was able to run some laps at Spa, tonight it did the same thing but the fix won't work?

I'm currently validating game cache and updating as req, don't know if this is going to work yet

Anyone else been cursing Steam as much as I have lately?

Jim

Edit: "I'm currently validating game cache and updating" this appears to have worked, but for how long:unsure:

Last edited:
I just couldnt start the game - the video config windows popped up with only the graphic card to chose. The other list boxes were blank and no button worked for closing it.

Tried diabling XD as before when the same has happened, but ended up deleting all mods and everything through steam (after taking backups of all settings etc.). When I tried validating, I got the message about making it more efficient bla bla. So I killed Steam, since nothing happened. Then started it again, chose to install the now uninstalled race07 and, yeah I guess it got "more efficient" anyway, in the common-folder.

Now it works, however.

It screwed me over too just before the race, but got it fixed in time (barely) by
1) Delete desktop shortcut
2) going into the steam folder and manually running the config program to reset the graphics resolution
3) create new desktop shortcut and drag to desktop
4) in the documents/simbin/ folder you will see a new folder called Race07 install2 or something like that. Go into the original Race07 folder and select all and copy. then go to the install2 folder and paste and say OK to overwriting. Now all your settings/config and setup will be restored.

I also had to reinstall the no visor fix in the Gamedata/teams folder

I backed up my files, answerd yes to converting (or whatever they called it), allowed it to complete, copied my profile (folder called Nicolai Nicholson), and my skins, and voila, it seems to work fine. This took me 15 minutes.
Did you had to convert every expansion pack before it worked?? Where did you copy your profile??? Nothing works for me and i read so many different things here that i'm confused on what to do.... grrrr i hate that!!

Edit: Sorry i made some serious mistakes in this replay, corrections are in red. I guess i was too sick about steam !!

I manage to fix the game. I don't know why but i now have all my folders and files in steamapps/common/race07. for it to work. I need to put any new skins and mods in document/simbin/race07 unstall2 instead of old: documents/simbin/race07. I was missing config.exe in steamapps/common/race07, so i copy it for steamapps/my profile/race07 to common/race07, and adjust the resolution correctly (1920x1080 32bits for me) and then the game start.

For unknow reason i now have documents/simbin/race07, race07 install2, race07 install3 and race07 install4...... as it works i thought i'll leave them there.... but WTF ???

Steeve

Last edited:
Can't say how i know but trust me on this.. The first time it happened, it was a scheduling mistake.. Steam was completely at fault so instead Race07 was scheduled as last one to give us more time.. If it were to happen when it was scheduled, we would've been too pissed about it.. to have our game converted mere weeks apart from old to new to old to new..

Noticed that fastest way was to backup my docs\simbin}rac07 folders, wipe the whole game out and download everything. That cause if you convert existing, it got no queuing, takes longer per expansion (i have all of them..) and you have to be monitoring your pc to start the next conversion. With 50mb/s connection, downloading was faster.

I have no idea what is wrong, every time I try to reinstall, Steam hangs.
I try to exit it and it ends up "stopped responding" - i try to restart my computer and it wont even restart, my entire computer hangs. I have to manually force a shutdown.

I have tried 7 times now with same result.
Suddenly normal use of the computer makes it hang - this did not happen before I uninstalled and tried to reinstall.

Everything is f'ed. Cannot practice today, and with UNI tomorrow I will probably not have time to reinstall everything (windows etc.).

There is no virus or Spyware - this is checked every day.
Do not use this computer for downloads, my NIC is updated - am at a loss what is wrong. Steam seems to be the culprit - although I cannot understand what it could do to my entire setup.

Participating in race seems far away at this minute...:mad:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 93 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 128 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 173 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 341 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing