• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

STCC @ Valer - Friday 13/14th March

Discussion in 'RACE 07 Racing Club & Leagues' started by Eric. K, Mar 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adam Vaughan

Adam Vaughan

Ratings:
    +9
    Sorry was gona take part but Im having ISP issues. Well gutted.

2. Sean Vohs

Sean Vohs

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to those involved and RD for putting this on :)

Qualified 12th. Race started and I managed to pull up to 9th within a few laps, then lost it, but ended up 7th. Had a few fun battles and for the first time ever didn't panic while defending my position. As a matter of fact, I actually defended it. I normally just let people by if I see they're faster than me.

Race 2 I started in 2nd place and got a good start into t1 and took 1st, Corey put a lot of pressure on me into the first big right hander and I got cracked under the pressure and forgot to brake. Slid off the track and tried easing back on but may have caused a bit of a jam. Sorry if I made anyone swerve to miss me :(
    Anyway, ended up 16th by lap 1 and didn't go anywhere from there. I couldn't focus or even keep my car on the track. I'm a liability after 14 laps :D

Warren, I don't know if you saw it, but just before you and I both pit(Lap 7, race 1) I had a pretty sweet drift around the final corner before the pits. I'm glad you weren't right on my arse or I probably would have hit you. I don't know how I didn't spin :D haha

3. Mtommi Tam

Mtommi Tam

Ratings:
    +1
    Qualify:
    My netwrok not ok,sometime can not connect,oh,my god....

Race 1:
    My tire touch grass,and then spin,crash the wal finish, DNF

Race2:
    Pos 6 finish,:worship:

See all next race :dance2:

4. William Yunck

William Yunck

Ratings:
    +28
    For me a really good night, I was feeling kind of tired so I had a shot of espresso and some chocolate before the race, it seemed to wake me right up.

Qualifying - After some good laps in practice I was worried that I might mess Qauly up, so I decided to go right out when it started while the track was still fresh in my mind. I managed to put a good lap together for the pole, only my second ever in the club races.

Race 1 - Both Rhys and Hansi shot past me on the start, but later Rhys swung a little wide and I was just chasing Hansi lap after lap. He wasn't making any mistakes and I could see no where to pass so I just sat back there til my pit. Hansi must have had trouble because I came out of pit lane in first and managed to hold it for the race one win. This I am sure was due to the fact that Yves and Warren both were in bmw's, which I think are a handfull on these tight tracks.

Race 2 - I lost a spot on the start to drop me to ninth, but in the first right hander Michel hit Warren and I barely got by them unscathed. In the next turn I saw 2 more bimmers off to the side and I settled into 4th behind Cam. Cam was driving flawlessly until he got a little wide in those infamous right handers and he was nice enough to let me past on the straight - thanks Cam, very gentlemanly racing. I was then left to try and catch Marty and Hansi. I settled in to a good rythm, but I didn't see myself getting past either of them as they were both driving good laps. Marty then got sideways on the dreaded left after the back straight and I was able to slip past. I tried and tried to find an opening on Hansi but there wasn't one. So Second place for race 2, but very happy about it.

My second Club win at RD and I really enjoyed the racing. I like our friday bunch of guys and I love these stcc races. See you all next week and thankyou. Sorry for your internet problems Mtommi.

5. Mtommi Tam

Mtommi Tam

Ratings:
    +1
    No problem,sometime,my place network i not ok :)

6. Marty Pierce

Marty Pierce

Ratings:
    +6
    Grats to William And Hansi for there wins. Rhys did a fantastic job in the Bmw for 2nd the 1st race.

Fun night and for me a very difficult track to be consistent. Had some good battles with Rhys, Yves and Hansi. Found myself in 3rd place race one and two and 3rd overall. And my number for the Mini league is going to be 3. Don't know how the guys in the BMW's drove so well here but WD.

7. Keith Barrick

Keith Barrick

Ratings:
    +426
    Can anyone post the results from this race?

8. Rhys Gardiner

Rhys Gardiner

Ratings:
    +770
    Qualifying: 3rd. Excellent result. :victory:

Race 1: Rocket start, but ran wide at the first chicane letting Hansi and Willian through. I stayed in 3rd until pitting time, fending off Rafael and then Marty. After driving a few laps after coming out of the pits, I gained P2 and stayed there until the end of the race. I was overjoyed. :D

Race 2: As I said in TeamSpeak, a high is always followed by a low. I came through the first two laps okay, but I almost spun at the first chicane again, then got hit off. I stayed second-last for a few laps. I was gaining positions, but then I spied an incident between Michel and Olly at the last corner. I tried to avoid it, but Michel had parked his car in completely the wrong spot, right on the apex, and took off my splitter as a result. Into the pits. I managed to get P12 before the end.

Still, no matter. This event was so much fun for me, and I'm already looking forward to next week! Thanks Eric and RD for setting it up! :thumb:

9. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Yep got a good view, I think I saw you repeat something similar later on too, but I was smiling because I know how easy it is to lose the tail in a BMS. :laugh2:

Race Report:
    Can't say I enjoyed this one too much, not sure what happened to the clean driving philosophy of this group. I always enjoy trying the BMW E46 occasionaly, even though I struggle with it. However, I didn't count on being punted off in the opening lap of both races, just to add to the challenge. Maybe it is "punt Warren" week, this makes six times in my last four races :wink2:

Qualy was a disaster, managed to almost spin off twice.

Race 1: At least the BMW is quick off the line, so I gained a couple of spots. Unfortunately Corey tried the old late dive into the inside of a turn and spun me around. That put us both last, but I slowly gained some spots but never got settled. To cap it off, I made a huge mess of the pitstop, as I came in two other cars were on my spot (I thought) so I waited for them to move, then forgot to hit the accept button. I finally woke up, but lost heaps. Finished about P9 I think.

Race 2: Another good start gained me a couple of spots, but was soon spun around by Michel who seemed to just drive straight through me exiting the turn. Once again, virtually last. The highlight was a really good dice with Raphael over the closing laps (thanks Raphael, always close and clean with you :handshake: ), but on the last lap he suddenly froze behind me. I wasn't sure what had happened and while looking in my mirrors, I forgot about the nasty chicane in front and went off track. That put Yves on my tail and we finished side by side over the line. Finished P7.

Grats to William for the overall win, and special mention to Cam and Rhys for a great couple of races. :highfive:

10. Olaf.j Linortner

Olaf.j Linortner

Ratings:
    +0
    firsly this was my first in a RWD car and it was interesting to say the least .
    i was happy with quali but race one was a shocker ,heh ,loaded the wrong setup ,the car was a real handful to drive ,had enough fuel to do 2 races ,but never mind it was interesting .second race was a little better with the right setup (for me )this time and was able to settle into some sort of rhythm .had fun once again ,teamspeak was entaining with Cam ,Bob ,Rhys,Bryan and myself .thanks to the organisers and fellow competitors for the event .
    regards
    olly

11. Corey Theman

Corey Theman

Ratings:
    +0
    Qual: Went ok, started mid-pack

race 1: Started off reasonable, with the expected push of the bmw's behind me. Final turn of lap 1 I was trying hard not to tap Warren as he broke a little earlier than I expected. As he said, he chose to go inside to try and avoid him, but apparently the game registered it as a hit. I never felt anything, but I pulled over and let him by (I checked the demo, there is air between the cars, but Warren's car shot off as if there was contact) Again, sorry regardless whether there was a hit or not, I was out of position. Took an early pit to try and make a late run, was able to make up some ground and finish P8.

race 2: Started at pole, but was immediately overtaken by Sean's BMS. He was driving with a crazed look in his eye and I was mezmerized :) He came in way too hot going into turn 2 and instead of staying the course, I watched him and ended up following him into the sand :( Put me back into mid-pack again. Luckily for me several people also had some off-road excursions in the first couple laps and I settled in P5 behind Cam. Spent the rest of the race chasing down Cam. We were within a second for the better part of the race, and on the last lap he had a bobble in the penultimate corner. I wasn't sure if he was going to save it so I ducked to the inside for the final turn - I thought I had drawn even to him heading into the apex. We had some contact and he seemed to have more violent of an impact than there should have been. Apparently I just had no luck with the Aussies in that turn as I had contact with both Cam and Warren there, I'm thinking that maybe latency differences played a part as neither seemed as close as the replays show they were. Finished P4.

Good races and a good turnout. Glad these STCC events are staying strong.

12. Olaf.j Linortner

Olaf.j Linortner

Ratings:
    +0
    hehe

cursing at the monitor ,dont know what you're talking about
    professor :sinister::sinister:
    regards
    olly

13. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,869
    Corey, just to give you another perspective, here are a couple of screenshots from my replay. There is clearly a hit and no air between us.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We can all reduce the "luck" in these incidents by taking a tad more care and allowing a fraction more room between cars, especially in the opening laps. We should all expect a little latency in on-line racing, I know I always allow a little room to ensure no contact. About 80% of all incidents are usually caused by drivers making overly aggressive moves by diving into the tiniest gap inside corners, or even cutting through the corner to make an ambitious pass. In the end, it usualy results in grief for both cars, as you ruined your own race as well.

Not having a go at you, I'm just trying to emphasise some lessons in these situations.

EDIT: Probably my biggest disappointment with Race 07 is the excessive reaction from very small hits, often much more than you would expect. I can't say that it works fully, but has everyone seen Gunthar's reccomended mod to the .plr file:

http://forum.racedepartment.com/gtr...vo-online-racing-improvements-bonespring.html

I am using it, so it doesn't have any negative effect.

14. Rhys Gardiner

Rhys Gardiner

Ratings:
    +770
    Right, I fixed up my race report. YOU READ!! NOW!! :tongue: :D

15. Corey Theman

Corey Theman

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, again Warren, I apologize for even putting us in that position. Your pictures show much more contact than my demos do (I see daylight between the cars the whole time, where as your pictures show my car embedded in yours :( ). It doesn't help us change the result of last night sadly, but hopefully I can avoid similar incidents in the future by knowing what to expect from the game. For what it's worth I tossed up the scenario from my POV.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mr2gEiLv98&feature=channel_page[/ame]

In a similar note, here is the incident I mentioned that I had with Cam on the last lap in the same turn. Should I have handled this differently or was this just a racing incident? I am open to critiquing obviously, so don't worry about hurting my feelings :) I just want to continue improving.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE7XuYMYH1c&feature=channel_page[/ame]

16. Michel Usal

Michel Usal

Ratings:
    +1
    Tough evening...

Race 1
    Without much practice on this track, qualified at the back. Start was ok, got hit from behind at the end of first lap (watching replay, clearly race incident, great RD spirit by Bob) . Got to pit with damaged aero and suspension. After that, I just focused on doing steady laps to finish the race. Fun track.

Race 2
    12th on the grid, managed an ok start, some cars got piled in front of me early on but managed to pull trough. Good fight with Rafael Barbosa who I felt breathing on my neck for 2 laps. Did a slight mistake and there he was on my inside, I touched him just a bit on the exit thinking he was already passed, I just hope/think his car was ok. I was happy to put steady laps in the high 57 or low 58. Now we get to the point where I really need to have my brain working: had fuel for 8 laps but "forgot" to pit in... Ran out. Bouuuuhh. Watching replay, I think I could have done something like 7th. Gotta keep on learnin'

Great fun anyway with you guys.

17. Warren Dawes

Warren Dawes
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,869
    I think I've had enough to say on our incident now, clearly it's a case of how close we can risk it. But realistically, the main problem was that you cut across the curb (and part of the grass) which caused your car to bounce a little on exit, and this is what unsettled your car to move a little left (in my replay view).

Re Cam's incident, it's similar but not as clear cut. Cam had bobbled from the previous curb touch, so it was quite ok for you to try to take advantage. However Cam had recovered control before you had drawn up to him and he was still on the correct driving line, so it was reasonable to expect him to continue that line. The contact is side by side, so it is not an easy one, but I'll give my "personal" viewpoint.
    It was worth a go to attempt the pass, but the onus was still on you to pull it off cleanly. In the end it wasn't clean. Personally, I would have backed off at the last minute when I realised Cam was back under control, or if I had continued, I would have stopped and waited after the contact (I had a very similar one in GTL this week with Stuart Thompson, and I waited). In fairness, you wouldn't have had much time to make the "wait" decision, the finish line was about 5 secongs away.

Just my humble opinion, but I'm always more conservative and maybe over-careful at times.
    Certainly not a Race Director ruling, maybe others would view it differently.

Again, apology accepted, I was only trying to help everyone by warning of risks with On-line racing and hopefully getting everyone to think twice before making overly ambitious late dives inside turns that usually turn sour for both drivers. These are still too common in our racing IMO, especially in the opening lap where lots of other cars can pile into the aftermath of the contact. :)

18. William Yunck

William Yunck

Ratings:
    +28
    Corey,
    I kind of have a different opinion of the Cam incident, He had left the track, and although he got back into the race line, he was travelling at a much slower speed. I think that your pass was justified, and it looks to me that Cam actually cut in a little and hit you. I view this as a racing incident and not your fault. I think when you leave the track and return to it, you should pay particular attention to your speed and if you are about to get overtaken. I have been in Cam's position many times and also in your's, It was justified that Cam try to save his position, and for you to try the pass, so a racing incident. I probably would have gone for the pass too.

Oh, and what program do you use to record the video for youtube?

19. Cam Wedgwood

Cam Wedgwood

Ratings:
    +0
    But what a save it was!! Lol!

Corey, at the time I was a bit cranky and asked myself, "I wonder what would have happened if there was no contact?" A couple of days on I think, "No biggie, I slid and he got under me, I took my line and we had contact, I lost out."

I had a blast driving this track and found some great racing (Yves and Hansi to name the two standouts). Thanks guys for this one, a fun knife fight!

20. Corey Theman

Corey Theman

Ratings:
    +0
    Haha, yes it was a very impressive save Cam. I was worried you were going to lose it and come cutting across the track to be honest, well played. I honestly didn't even know you got bounced off the track at the time, it seemed like a door-to-door impact and I figured you were still right there next to me.

William - I just used Fraps to record the video and then I have a freeware utility that I used to convert to xvid (shrink file size 100x). I don't remember the name of the utility, I'll check when I get home from work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.