RACE 07 Racing Club (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hya all

As a start lets kick some WTCC cars after the pause period. :)

Time: 19.00 GMT / 20.00 CET
Practise: 30 min
Qualy: 30 min
Race: 2*10 laps
Weather: Dry

Track: Istanbul
Cars: WTCC 06 and 07

Server name: RSC # RPMnet.org
Password: spa

Server 1 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #1
  1. Attila Domján - Chevy
  2. Gareth Hickling - Peugeot
  3. Pauliebhoy Harrigan - Seat Leon
  4. Gregory Degreef - BMW E90
  5. Mehmet Arikan - Seat
  6. Jerome Benard - Alfa Romeo
  7. Cristian Haba - BMW E90
  8. Christian Deparis - Seat 07
  9. Jens Hoeppner - BMW E90
  10. Patrick van Driel -Seat Leon
  11. James Yates - BMW E46
  12. Jari Vinnari - BMW E90
  13. Marcel Hulsbergen - Alfa 156
  14. Peter Böszörményi - Seat Leon
  15. Kent Karlén - Chevy 07
  16. darron miller - Peugeot
  17. Michael Herrmann - Alfa 156
  18. Nico Major - BMW E90
  19. Rami Kaukola - BMW E90
  20. Christopher Aponte - Seat LEon
  21. Simon Trendell - Peugeot
  22. big daddy Morpheus Lightning McQueen - car tbd
  23. Baron-Rouge[NO-B] - Seat Leon
  24. ingemar petersson Seat Leon
  25. Nevermind - Seat Leon
Server 2 - RSC @ RPMnet.org #2
  1. Driver
  2. Driver
  3. Driver
  4. Driver
  5. Driver
  6. Driver
  7. Driver
  8. Driver
  9. Driver
  10. Driver
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
  21. Driver
  22. Driver
  23. Driver
  24. Driver
  25. Driver

Yeah, I got little carried away with my post, apologize for that.
And it may have sounded like I was mad, but that's not the case what so ever.
RD has provided countless of hours of great racing to me. And for that I am grateful.
And I'm not saying that my points above, are the correct way to go either.
They are just suggestions after all. But with unlimited experience with modding my games, I know for a fact, that a game that is "officially" dead, is till living on, thanks to modding.

I can't confirm it at the moment, but I have heard that rFactor is still going strong.
I know GTR2 is still alive and kicking. So, in theory, it should apply to R07 as well.

But I agree, this "premium pay wall" sounds like something that was made for hardcore simracers only. As a new member, this is very off-putting. Now, RD may work on a "trial test period", so members can try out for free for a month (?) before they have to pay.
And some may be more than happy to pay, while others will run away.

I like to think that most casual club racers, race when they have the time and the energy for it. Meaning, they will likely never know, until the very last minute if they can race or not.
And if they race maybe once or twice (sometimes more and sometimes less), and having to pay for the privilege to race on/with Monza/WTCC, is going to think "nope, back to offline" or take the chance to race on public servers instead.

I like the idea of having "unofficial" race series. It will have some kind of a accomplishment feeling over it. Even if it's a false one. Meaning, you don't win loads of cash or something.

And I agree with John Grant above. It can't be fun to race on a server, where most people leave you in cloud of dust. I know the casual club is just for fun and to have a great time, but it's never fun to be that guy who never see or fight with another racer due to lack of skills and experience. There should be at least 2 servers. One for rookies, and one for Pros. But, I like to think that RD has enough experience and knows what works and what not.

Even thou, Björn has asked for our help, regarding the new race format. I still can't really say what I like to see in the future. If the list above is all we have to pick from, I feel it's choice between pest or cholera.

New mods, and new fresh ideas needs to be taken into considerations.

Good race again , my only real error was talking central heating with Dennis which led me to a rather wide corner allowing Dennis to catch up slightly :D . This , added to his 2 tyre shuffle in the pits :D , left me 12 secs behind with not enough time left to catch up . Overall , happy with my set up which seemed to be giving reasonable grip around the corners , but next time , combi's and tiling will be left to other forums I visit :p:D :thumbsup:

Damo :)

I love it,this OLD Race-Game !
Cheers, odder ach Prost.
race-07-6-icon.png

/mod-edit: Please avoid swearing, even in a positive context :)

Last edited:
First of all, I'm going to try to translate Michael's post so the rest of you can chime in on it, as well ;)

Hey SimRacers,
I like having the option of racing in the RD racing club - I'm enjoying the nice & clean races with you guys. I'd be happy if the events would start one hour early, thus rendering getting up early the next day a fair bit easier.
Also racing AC, I can easily find something to race at RD. I've also taken part in R07 leagues during the years I've been playing it - it's something that gets people motivated even more.
Apart from that, there are many addon tracks which could be included, both official and mod content which I'd be happy to see in order to get more variety out of the events. Some ideas for your inspiration:
  • WTCC Extreme
  • Formula RaceRoom
  • GT Pro,GT Sport,GT Club
  • WTCC´10
  • Mini One
  • Camaro Cup 2010 (Camaro Gen5)

• Norisring
  • AVUS
  • Hockenheim´99
  • Lausitzring
  • Barcelona GP/Nat.
  • Castle Combe
  • Donington GP/Nat.
  • etc.....
as I said, these are merely ideas - I got countless mod tracks (just checked - 238 tracks) that are all working online, I'd be happy to share those with RD.
In the big picture, I do appreciate what you're doing for/in the RD community - keep it up :thumbsup:

Greets:thumbsup:

Now, to address a few of your points & concerns:

• new weekly schedule/interesting cars: Please keep in mind that both the list of possible event formats and the "sample week" are just that - possible & a sample :) I've picked up the IFM as it is usually quite popular, sometimes not quite as much as GT events, sometimes way more. Actually, the GT classes crossed my mind as well as a possible candidate for a "fixed" day (see below)
  • mod tracks: As many of you'll know, we're already running quite a few mod tracks throughout the year - our members have become accustomed to installing these and it works out most of the time without any issues.
    However, there are issues with mod tracks, and as it was pointed out, it's the legibility. There are many tracks out there that are ripped out of other games. While many clubs & communities don't care too much about this (and I don't blame them, to each their own :)), those are no-go's at RD.
    Since Michael mentioned it, here's an example: I was looking into running Norisring when Dennis isn't available in March - however, the versions available seem to be based off of a Codemasters game (author explicitly thanks Codies in the readme), so it's out. The same thing applies to all too many tracks, e.g. Bathurst (converted from NFS:Shift), which would be a blast running.
  • mod cars: Of course, the same issue of legibility applies over here, as well - that aside, there's another problem, though: car mods are often a bit more difficult to install, and although this is not a huge factor, this one is: They break stuff. Some mods do conflict with each other and accumulating more and more mods over time inevitably leads to this exactly. Hence we've been staying away from those for the most parts - IIRC correctly, we ran the V8s in a special event and took the Toyota Corolla Cup around Nords once.
    However, the possible "member request" events would explicitly allow legal car mods (V8s, Formula Ford, Super Touring 98 might be great ideas). In addition to this, and don't tell anyone just yet, I might get another tool out there making mod installs and uninstalls easier ;)
  • community voice: Yeah, that's the whole point of this and the possible "member request" events - we want people to have as much fun as possible and as many events that suits their taste as possible :) I don't know if a weekly poll would be working out too well, but the request topics for the member events might double up as a general "suggestion for future weeks" topic :)
  • event starts: A point that has been brought up in the past, however a poll not too long ago had the current scheme winning over starting an hour earlier.
  • help & training / skill level variety: A very good point indeed - it's good to see users helping each other out, thanks for that! Personally, I recently haven't been able to join our servers as much as I'd like to. However, keep in mind that, among the other benefits, you are entitled to an "official" driving school lesson once you've gone premium - just contact us and we'll find time for that :) Also, if/when Dennis and myself (and many, many others) are on the servers, we're happy to help when asked :)
    On another more personal note - due to a personal incident, I haven't been able to join TS during Friday's race in order to get a TeamViewer session going with you, @John Grant - sorry about that! How does today or tomorrow at about what would normall be race time (20 GMT) sound like?
  • leagues & series: Great to see this is something you're interested in :) While the last try to start a "proper" league wasn't exactly successful, I think these unofficial mini series might be a really nice way to get people to keep on coming out. As I've hinted in the very first bullet of this post, GTs had crossed my mind for a new fixed day, possibly cycling through Club, Sport and Pro. However, they've also crossed my mind for this event format - if the format works out, I think even a multi-class GT mini series would be a great idea, especially as this would double-up as an opportunity to get multiple skill levels in.
So, I think that's it for now - as stated before, both the formats and the sample week are mere ideas and examples, we'd be thrilled to hear alternative ideas and requests from you guys! :)

@Björn

All your points are totally valid, and I get your point. I know from a experience that I don't care if a mod is legal or not, since I use it in offline mode. And I'm pretty sure there more members here does the same. So therefore, it's easy for me to sit here and say "moar mods naow" without actually knowing if they are legal or not, to be used for public. Even thou I personally think this whole legal thing it's crap. Maybe it's because I'm not really that well informed about it. But rules are rules, and they are meant to be broken.
Nah, just kidding. Rules shall be followed ofc.

When it comes to adding content to your game, I think some kind of mod manager could help out alot. Like the guys behind Pilsbierbude/Weissbierbude have. They have this installer/updater, and for every car/track they use on their servers, this car/track gets added to some kind database/archive and you just launch this installer/updater and press update. The software will look for new files, and if there are any, the software will download them and install them for you. So, a similar software could be a great tool for just this sort of things. I don't know how much work it would require to create this kind of thing thou....

The downside is, that most stock content will be broken, for online (public) use, since they have been altered. Either improved or changed in one way or another. It will work fine if server/client files is 100% match, but say you wanna race on a public server. That wont work at all. But on the other hand, some sort of profile system could be implemented. So, if you wanna use altered cars/tracks, you simply pick that, and if you wanna use a clean, none-altered version, you just pick that.

For the new race ideas, I have been thinking alot, without actually come up with something good. Mostly it's due to what I have mentioned earlier, I'm tired of the content. But, some kind of multi-class series sounds like a great idea. That way, guys who choose to pick something slower, won't feel bad, if another faster class is winning. Since you compete against people who use the same class as you only.

The downside could be, what if nine people pick a fast class, and one poor guy pick a slower class? Then we have same problem again as I mentioned earlier. I don't think this will happen, thou, just putting it out there anyway. Might be worth to keep in mind.

I know for a fact. that I will likely only race when Tourers and GT classes are in use. So, give suggestions how you should find a good balance for the rest is difficult right now.

And I agree with John Grant above. It can't be fun to race on a server, where most people leave you in cloud of dust. I know the casual club is just for fun and to have a great time, but it's never fun to be that guy who never see or fight with another racer due to lack of skills and experience. There should be at least 2 servers. One for rookies, and one for Pros. But, I like to think that RD has enough experience and knows what works and what not.

Yes, to me the races on Racedepartment all suit the faster more experienced sim racer.

Hence my :speechless: (insert head banging against a wall smiley) plea for the allowed use of low or medium driving aids for casual and noob racers who just like to have some casual race fun.
Yes I know all the fast boys don't like the use of aids as it is not part of sim racing and that only arcade racers use them :rolleyes:, but some us do. It allows us to at least stay on track and occasionally compete a little with the fast guys who spend all their breathing time practising and then leaving us in a cloud of dust for another lonely race.

I would enter fare more Race 07** club races if I were allowed to use low aids and that is a fact. Perhaps more new guys and the lesser skilled would also enter knowing that at least they could have a race. ;):whistling::whistling:

** insert any of the Club race sims here, not just Race 07.

Regarding the choice of Race 07 cars to use, well me personally I don't like driving the Mini's and I'm not to fussed on open wheelers as I prefer GT classes or American cars but again some of the powerful ones don't get my attention in club races purely because without low aids I spin everywhere and cannot hope to compete at all.

Just my two penneth. I suppose I will say this. If both Race 07 and GSCE/FT allowed low driving aids like low stab, low TC and low ABS, I would enter far more races in all formats with confidence.

Last edited:
I know I can't make this event but was curious about the track, because I never heard of it before. I also liked to give a FWD car a go, when I had some free time today. I see that Reggie often drives FWD touring cars and seems to be very quick, so I wonder how close my lap time would come to his... So here's a vid from my best lap (unfortunately lost a bit in the last corner) and my setup if you're curious.

Attachments

• R-Leon-STCC2-ab.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 237
I'm loosing interest in R07 because of same content all the time, but in other hand, I have no time for downloading and installing new content in case of my last minute signups. But I want to race and RD is great and friendly community, so I'm thinking about building new PC and newer Sim.
I'm searching for new challenges and more competitors, which is lacking in R07 RD servers. If we must pay for something, we have to get something and that something is competition, bigger competition come from bigger grid. Who want to drive all week long with 4-6 drivers on the grid, it's boring even if you winning or loosing. I think it is way better to have one race per week (even with default game content), but with full grid, and then everybody can find competitor on the side. But then it comes, why I have to pay for one race per week.. Looks like never ending circle..
Just my thoughts..

Hmm, premium - that's intriguing matter. I would buy this, but like many of you, doubts are involved in this case. I love racing here because of fair play and high level of drivers. But, first of all - I don't feel any kind of rivalry here. It's racing! Rivalry is a base of racing! Even when "friendly" (popular word here). Meanwhile, I can't even discuss laptimes here. And a few times I was said "don't fight so much" or "I would rather give away my position than strongly defend it". This is not racing and it's making me not going to buy premium. My dream is to be a part of league based on WTCC or STCC. Touring cars are very popular here, and points classification would probably increase activity of drivers - then they have reason to do their best and to try to show up more often in order to get their points to season classification. This is my view ;)

I'd guess he's getting the "incompatible game mode" error when he tries to join the server, as he has for the past WTCC races, as well.

@John Grant - as stated in the "march and beyond" topic, I'd be willing to help if you're free this (or some other) evening, just tell me in advance :)
On another more personal note - due to a personal incident, I haven't been able to join TS during Friday's race in order to get a TeamViewer session going with you, @John Grant - sorry about that! How does today or tomorrow at about what would normall be race time (20 GMT) sound like?

Also, in for this one!

If you want to see how other RD members have designed their cars, feel free to download & install the RaceDepartment Race07 skinpack (v201508):

For more information on the pack and how to get your car added, see this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 342 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 230 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 174 7.9%