Static to Motion Moxley's Way 2Dof to 3Dof

Hey Guys, Finally a compilation of what i came from and where at right now. There's been many guys over the years who have helped with small thing's to Big thing's and want to thank them all the utmost. Without You the Rig wouldn't be what it is today.

I Started out life as a KB racer playing F1 2011 and soon Stepped up to a G27..Wow what a Difference. So worth the 270$ or w/e it cost But as time went on racing in a Desk chair Sucks as im sure All of you will attest to. I tried a few different unique ways to hold the chair in place form Towels to little blocks of wood cut to raise the wheels up of the carpet. While functional to a point there had to be a better way, So I asked a Tuner buddy who builds Crazy turbo Hondas if he had any old race seat's kicking around. 20 minutes later i had a Genuine Sparco Fighter for a whopping 25$....Now here's the catch, It was beat to Shi* and essentially needed a Bed sheet to cover it and forget all the battle Scars, tear's and Poor ass leather patch jobs the seats endured over the years. So build a Basic square box which was eventually modded into this. Legs were attached when the COG became too far back and the seat would fall over. Lol

At this stage i had already dismounted the Stock G27 wheel in favor of a Stripped down Steelseries SRW-S1 which was mounted with a simple CF plate with threads and 4 holes in the wheel base I also retain the stock Shifter's as the S1's are pretty poor and have a weak link in the spring they use, More pics on that can be found here if curious. here

Note, If you want your S1 to survive a decent amount of time under a FFB base, Do this.

Old Bed Sheet Seat with the AeroDesigns Arges which was bought when i realized the Fighter's padding wasn't up to snuff for the long races. yes i could have sourced some Foam or something to freshed it up, But i Always wanted a "wrap around" GT style seat like this and when i found one locally for a decent price it was Far too hard to pass it up. Sparco was sold off to a buddy who also build a static sim for playing GT6.

Next was the Stock Logi pedals, When searching and bring a noobie I saw all these Hydraulic and Load cell brakes and wanted to play with some Rc shock which i happen to have a Whack load of and eventually came up with this. Stock Logitech spring opened up a hair to clip onto the shock collars and 4 of 6 holes glued shut on the pistons on 45wt oil. I also added some AKA tire foam donut onto the shaft to have a real hard point at the end of the stroke while still maintaining Full travel.

While it somewhat worked i felt again there had to be a better way, So after searching a few For sale threads on a few forums, I found Jon aka Basherboards selling a B.N set of clubsport V2's which i promptly snatched up.

Now from having a Rc Racing backround, I knew the stock Fana shock was a POS the second i took it apart to inspect and fill with oil. promptly decided it was to be tossed in favor of something from my 1/8 racer's. The 1/8 Mugen 6 line use the same length shocks for buggy and truggy and I had a spare set of shocks i bought a while back and turns out the rear's almost Drop right on with a Slight bit of modding to the mounting point, which I have to admit I already modded for the stock Shock as the Top of the shock cap was slowly being worn away by the mount. CHECK your shocks I wouldn't doubt if they All have the same wear spot.
After a few days of testing i settled on the stock pistons with 35wt oil and a Kyosho Hard blue spring.

thread for the mounting details can be foundhttp://racedepartment.tv/forums/topic/12267-club-sport-pedals-v2-shock-replacement-suggestion/ or

http://racedepartment.tv/forums/topic/11365-clubsport-pedals-2014/

Ok so next dilemma was the fact that the Fana Load cell was overpowering my pedal box and basically making all sorts of creaks and cracks under load, The rear pedal box posts essentially butted up to the 2 corner angles of the back of the desk and would sometimes go a little crooked if you hammered on the brakes, I wasn't allowed to Drill through the carpet and into the Hardwood underneath so the next quest started, A new PC build, New 47" Samsung and New 5.1 Pioneer setup for my room downstairs which has room for an actual Rig. So the Rig build begins.

The Step Up, was to compensate for a Large Metal Shelving unit the TV sits on and to get the Rig as Close to the TV as possible.

Base and pedal box attached with new Raiser for the wheel base.
Base was left Long to allow a 8" powered sub to sit right behind the seat.

1000$ budget for the PC build and we got the Final bill to 999.95$ with a few extra manager discounts thrown in at the last minute, (Thanks MemoryExpress)

Tv also came from them, Samsung 47" 1080HD 120 for a whopping 450$ also after manager discounts due to being the Last one...>Score.

[/[URL=http://s150.photobucket.com/user/davidmoxley123/media/Sim%20Racing/preview_image_0_54407452x_zps0a569163.jpg.html]

I kept the PC upstairs and Ran a 24' HDMI and 2 10' USB extensions to my Room downstairs. Got a powered USB hub and have Just enough ports to do what im up to Currently, might need to add a 2nd Hub.

So here's the finished product basically what i had envisioned and it allowed me to get my eyes to within 26"(i think) of the TV for a decent FOV.

[/URL]

Last edited:
After a little while i felt i wanted to get rid of the basically unused shelving unit the Tv sits on and get a Articulating TV mount. So I found a Mount locally that Extends a whopping 27" and was only 99$ So I disassembled the Shelf and went ahead to mount the Tv, Used part of the old shelf for the Amp/PVR rack on the right. The Speaker mounts were made from some thin plexi glass i bent with a heat gun and bolted to the TV mount.

At this point you can see Fanatec gear in the background. After building the new rig and all this work into the overall project I decided it was finally time to Invest in a wheel, The G27 did me proud and will hang on to it for maybe a future project. So after many weeks of waiting for the black friday sale which never really took place, I made my order the day After black friday, Couple weeks later my CSW base and rims showed up, Shifter was to arrive about a month later.

Over the holidays I also Bought a Buttkicker Gamer 2 kit which has been an Awesome addition to the Rig, I plan to go with a Simulation Starter kit in the near future after the current project has wrapped up.

Next up was the Keyboard and Mouse Tray, I had an old swivel mount tray thingy before that with the addition of the CSS wouldn't work anymore so i Fabricated my own articulating mounts.

CSS mount

About a year after buying the pedals from Jon, I popped the load cell and decided to DIY it. Load cells are available on Ebay for dirt cheap also the connector's you need.

This being some of the most recent addition's, SRW S1 as a button box, while retaining the Gas paddle as a E brake (pending the game)
Also a Acer Tablet for an extra button box if needed or a HUD showing whatever.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Static to motion you say..... well where's the motion you ask. Its coming....>REAL soon.

These pics should give a Good indication as to what im up to.

47A 575w Server Power supplies from Ebay for a whopping 12.50$ Along with a pair of Pololu JRK 12v12's

10mm Rod ends again from Ebay for 11$ free shipping with Lever's and Holes drilled for direct mount 360deg hall effect pots.

Motor's are 12/24V 200w, 20Nm

And Finally the Joint and the seat. CV has been angle mounted to match the 10 deg angle of the stock seating position.

Currently as of today I'm in the middle of rebuilding the Base to ensure it's as sturdy and solid as possible, Gluing and Screwing everything. Paint job is 1/2 done on the base and all the little bits and parts are being painted as well, Tomorrow I might just have the Seat Mounted on the frame and then on the base. Very excited to say the least.

Paint in Progress

Seat Mounted and final measuring for rear arms.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the second i mounted the motor's to the mounts and mounted them to the rig, I knew the stock Angle iron wasn't up to snuff, So after getting thing's up and running this morning (and a bit of fun time) I tore it all apart and made these. IF these still flex, Ill have to go back to the drawing board on how to mount things. lol

Stock Vs Upgrade.

New Motor mounts are Super Sturdy, Had a few test session's with a buddy who's 220lbs vs my 150lbs and managed to get the chip up to 180 before getting scared and calling it quits. Stupid heat sinks I ordered have yet to arrive but I called a Computer geek buddy who happen to have a bag FULL of assorted sizes and shapes, So I Now have the small squares installed for a testing session and will be modding the larger one's to fit if the one's I ordered don't show up any time soon.

Small heatsinks brought temps down to 110 which is more than acceptable for the mean time.

Next up was the shifter mount, I couldn't stand having my CSS sitting there staring me in the face not being used, So i went to work using the old motor mount angle iron. Here's what i came up with. Drilled and tapped the Seat riser using 4mm cap heads from my RC stuff and managed to get it Exactly where i had it before. Its also Uber sturdy like it was before.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

update,

Latest Addition is proving to be difficult, After speaking with Tech support they think something's up with the amp and thats the reason these new LFE's feel like duds. I can Barely feel them mounted Directly to the Seat Frame.

Should get some more shake now

So On Saturday i had my first official test session with 2 "lfe's" on the seat bolts and my Gamer 2 on the seat frame. HOLY CRACKERS!!!!! Thats what i was looking for/expecting from the LFE's. Vibration's that will make your eye balls shake to the point of not being able to read text. One thing i noticed was the LFE's on the seat bolt are in a completely different Fq range than the Gamer 2 on the Seat frame. Kinda cool to be able to cover a larger spectrum of the Low end Stuff.

I also re did my motor locks, the Bent flat bar i had before would prevent the arms from Dropping down, but wouldn't prevent the arms from Going UP when i sat forward in the chair to reach something. SO i came up with these.

Open

Upvote 0
Got me some New Rod ends in, Wow MUCHOS Better quality VS the Ebay units i first tried. And The best part is they were just as cheap and the exact same threading, So Very little modifying needed. All that needed doing was to shorten the Threaded bolt to allow my motor locks to lock into place.
These ends also have quite a few more degrees of freedom Vs the Other style Rod ends. So that will be a benefit to not have to use washer's or shims to prevent the ends from binding.

here what I got.

http://www.aliexpres...1559309095.html

and here's them Installed.

Little update on buddy John's rig. The build is all done just need to play with the PID setting's on these new motor's. Ill have more complete pics next time i swing by.

ive Also gotten my Seat belts all sorted out with some spring tension. Im rather happy with it so far.

Have 3 spring's installed Per Belt now, and much stiffer spring's than whats in this picture

Upvote 0
Time for some AC.

Thought i was going to go this route with the funnel's but decided differently

Ice Cream pail is where its at, lol

1 1/2" drain pipe

2 main Runs come up the side and feed 2 vents which cover my chest, One run on the floor of the pedal box which will cover my legs.

the 4th line goes right to the back side of the pedals to keep my Feet cool,

and here's the Bucket air box in its glory. I wanted to tuck it Under the pedal plate but the "suction" from the fan rendered the "leg" vent moot, Just sucked back all the air it was trying to blow.

Upvote 0
New Project in the works

What needs to pivot at the front and roll on Caster's at the back............YAW baby, Aka Traction loss.

Motor spacer out of 3/4" hardboard and 12" lazy susan

Base all screwed together

Lever is pointing towards from of rig.

Traction loss is ALIVE!!!!!!!!!

Peeking through the 1 1/8" gap I was working with between the 2 frames.

Adding the 3rd JRK to the current Cool Box,

Wasnt happy with the Overly sized factory box for these, So i made my own.

Ok So finally got a day to play with the Traction Loss, Holy POOP!!!!!!! This is IMO More of a WOW experience than going from Static to a 2Dof seat mover. I built it to have 4" movement either side, At Full Stroke the motor Seriously snaps the neck if the cars Whipping back and forth, So much that In Crashes I found myself letting go of the wheel. Holding the Belts at my chest and "Bracing" for the impact.

The Overall Feeling of Not so much the Actual Rear end stepping Out, As there's Not a Game on this planet that actually outputs a "Traction loss" axis. Therefor the Software is left to its code thats been written to do what it does and IMO Simtools hit the nail on the Head. The feeling of Weight transfer, the feeling of the Tires squirming over, the VIOLENT snap when it kicks you is all there and i couldn't ask for much more. Looking at "other" softwares Traction loss setup's sometimes Dont looks at All to be Correct But then again that does all Boil down to the particular profile. Overall Im Super Duper impressed with the mod and If you have a seat mover i cant suggest this enough.

here's What she currently looks like.

The Rats Nest, As clean as its getting.

Upvote 0
So i wanted a 2nd monitor to adjust Simtools and Have a LARGE App diplay for telemetry and other stuff so After realizing i didn't want to run a 2nd 20'+ HDMI downstairs and effect my Overall Screen setup (mirror of my Desktop) I found this little guy on Ebay, http://www.ebay.com/...=item233d480f3a

Hooked it up and Whamo, Extended monitor. Didn't effect my Normal Mirrored screen and even allows me to use landscape or portrait mode and make a few more adjustments.

Next issue came as to where/how to mount the screen. I Looked at my Articulating TV mount on my big screen and thought, Pssh I can build that.

So here it is my own Custom Mount, Not Super pretty, but 99.9% of the time you dont see it at all.

and what the final product looks like,

Upvote 0
Awesome build, so much DIY, I'm impressed!

Edit: Mind telling me / showing some images on how you fixated the iPhone on the back of the CSW base?

Thanks Kjell, Why buy when you can BUILD!!!!!!

Iphone mount.

Looks great.. only it looks like the screen is positioned a bit to high.

Ya unfortunately i also use the TV for well, Watching tv and with the screen any lower the wheel base and sides of the seat really get in the way, I only have Soo much room to play with.

middle of the Monitor is 51" and i sit with my eyes at 48" +/- an Inch or 2 for the seat mover. So not As bad as some of the "goofy" screen setup's we've all seen out there. :laugh:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Update,

Well here she is, Completely Overkill on the project but hey, what the point of a project if your just going to hack it together and make it look like crap.

Baffles were Dadoed into place but were unfortunately a little loose, So Good ol Wood glue to the rescue.

Figuring out the corner's with the foam.

base foam

80x80 fans will be mounted to either end plate and One will Suck and One will Blow....Ill be finishing That up today when i return the 200mm Fan I attempted to use(Way too low of CFM)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 84 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 166 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 319 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing