Static or moving monitors for motion...

I'm going to be placing my order for the P1-X soon, and I'm planning on adding motion within a year or so. I need to decide whether I want to order the integrated triple monitor mount or the free-standing triple monitor mount. The integrated mount would mean my monitors would move, the free-standing would keep them stationary.

I'm planning on triple 27", and I may end up with the PROSIMU P5MP.

What's the consensus on this? Do you want your monitors moving, or have them static?

I do not have a motion cockpit myself, but here are my two cents anyways:

I would say it would make sense to have the screens stationary if the sim is set to show the horizon stationary, aso you are making the car movements an thus the shift in point of view with your cockpit. If the screens are moving with your cockpit, the ingame setting should correspond by moving the horizon. In the end I assume it will also depend on the travel you are gonna have...

Upvote 0
Static for several reasons.
1. Less mass for the actuators to move.
2. No stress on the mounts
3. Lower risk of a tip-over - particularly when/if you crash. Monitors attached and up high will affect the center of gravity. Violent motion can tip the rig.
4. Larger monitors possible with freestanding. The attached triple is limited to 27”.

EDIT: re: the tip-over potential...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keen to hear opinions on this as well. I was planning on a PT Actuator 5DOF with P1-x and integrated triple. But It seems to make more sense to have the static stand for reasons stated above. Barry seems to always run his motion rigs w/ static screens as well

Upvote 0
A downside of a static, free-standing monitor stand for a chassis motion platform is clearance from the wheel's motor to the monitor stand, so the motor doesn't smash into the centre monitor.

This can be exacerbated as some chassis motion platform physically move when in use. It may only be a few millimetres, but some owners note theirs can move centimetres, particularly on wooden floors. So you may want added monitor clearance if you plan to mount it behind the wheel's motor.

This can push your centre monitor further away if you mount it behind the motor. It can be compensated through larger monitors; however that increases cost.

I also found mounting the monitor stand high enough to provide clearance above the wheel's motor, raised them too high to be comfortable.

Below is a video of 1.5" actuators. For this size of actuator, you can see the chassis move only a little bit, so in theory only a relatively small amount of wheel motor to centre screen clearance is required.

However added clearance is provided in case the sim rig "walks" across the floor.

very cool, thank you. Do you mind sharing some more details about your set up? Did you ever consider mounting your monitors to your rig?

Upvote 0
I have my ultra-ultra-wide mounted to my motion platform, which is the only way to get it close enough for good FoV without having it collide against the steering wheel due to clearance issues already mentioned.

Honestly, it’s a bit nauseating. I used to have a static projector screen, which was much more comfortable to look at under motion, but had less effective FoV.

My actuators have a good amount of travel (150mm + yaw, the P5MP). It’s counterintuitive, but having the monitor move with the platform feels worse than having it static... your eyes have trouble focusing and tracking the moving screen.

I’m fine with this, because it takes up less space and has newer technology than my projector. It’s a backup for games without VR support, so I’m not as worried as if it were my primary display. Otherwise, I’d be looking into big static triples or searching for a non-existent high-framerate projector...

Upvote 0
I have my ultra-ultra-wide mounted to my motion platform, which is the only way to get it close enough for good FoV without having it collide against the steering wheel due to clearance issues already mentioned.

Honestly, it’s a bit nauseating. I used to have a static projector screen, which was much more comfortable to look at under motion, but had less effective FoV.

My actuators have a good amount of travel (150mm + yaw, the P5MP). It’s counterintuitive, but having the monitor move with the platform feels worse than having it static... your eyes have trouble focusing and tracking the moving screen.

I’m fine with this, because it takes up less space and has newer technology than my projector. It’s a backup for games without VR support, so I’m not as worried as if it were my primary display. Otherwise, I’d be looking into big static triples or searching for a non-existent high-framerate projector...

I should clarify - the monitor is comfortable to use, but I have to tone down the motion to about 60% of what my rig can do. At 100%, it’s uncomfortable to look at. VR feels best at 100%. A rig with less travel (100mm or less) would probably be fine at 100%.

Upvote 0
thank you! this thread has been very helpful in my decision.

i have now mounted my monitor to my rig 49in ulta wide. specifically for non VR things and im doing circuit racing 99% of the time so its not at max on the motion.

Cheers!

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 96 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 71 9.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 75 9.9%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 48 6.3%