Static issue

Wipe your seat with a laundry dryer sheet. Works in real cars too.

Thanks will give that try. A couple of wheels ago i blew up my BU0836a of my Acura GT3 rim due to static electricity.

I touched the wheel, got an electric shock which was followed by the USB disconnect sound. :(

I had to replace the USB interface + breakout board.

Upvote 0
Thanks will give that try. A couple of wheels ago i blew up my BU0836a of my Acura GT3 rim due to static electricity.

I touched the wheel, got an electric shock which was followed by the USB disconnect sound. :(

I had to replace the USB interface + breakout board.

Really....thats surprising it gave up the ghost...., Im rather statically charged person in general add in cold dry winter weather and i shock my wheels quite often, Every once in a while i might hear a disconnection sound, but get nothing that actually disconnects after checking......Bad luck on your bu086 would be my guess. I would assume the board has some protection in regards to that stuff. :O_o:

Upvote 0
Put some lotion on your hands and if you drive with socks on...remove them.
Dry skin can turn you into a massive capacitor.
I was more nervous than a cat in a room full of rocking chairs before I found this solution. It works great...especially for people with dry skin.

Upvote 0
Really....thats surprising it gave up the ghost...., Im rather statically charged person in general add in cold dry winter weather and i shock my wheels quite often, Every once in a while i might hear a disconnection sound, but get nothing that actually disconnects after checking......Bad luck on your bu086 would be my guess. I would assume the board has some protection in regards to that stuff. :O_o:

I would assumed the same.

So i kept trying even on other PC's, just couldn't believe it. What may have made it worse is that i touched a metal knob from one of the CTS encoders. This probably gave a much more direct electrical connection to the PCB than when you touch the rim on a different place.

Upvote 0
think the issue is more with static on me, i have used the laundry dryer sheet over my clothes and racing seat and also put a metal plate on the floor between the seat and pedal tray. so when i am standing up, i dont know the technical side of static transfer tbh, but will try these things first. last option is a ground rod out side with wire coming from simrig going through a hole in the wall then connected to grounding rod. see how it goes..

Upvote 0
Theoretically you can ground using the earth wire in any 3 pin socket. The easy / safe / no brainer way to do it is search for a power strip that has an external ground lug. That ground lug is exposing the earth / ground circuit of your house for easy connection, so you would run wires from your chassis to that lug. If you had e.g. a metal shifter then wiring that up to the lug should be good as you're constantly touching that and not letting static build up while you drive. Getting in the habit of grounding yourself before touching electronics can be a necessity based on carpet type, and other factors.. it's just the way it is. I worked in an office where opening doors was a constant zap because of the carpet, and we went through monitors like crazy.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 344 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 231 10.5%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years