Starting Techniques

Warren Dawes

Premium
G'Day guys,
I'm back from holidays and ready to hop back on to the RACE learning curve again. Looks like you have had some top racing lately. I downloaded the replays from the last couple of MINI tourneys and one thing that impressed me was how well everybody skipped off the line at the start. I'm pretty hopeless and seem to bog down with too much wheelspin. My technique is to use auto clutch mode, but still depress the clutch whilst in 1st gear, hold about 3000 - 4000 rpm, and drop the clutch at flagfall, often in a cloud of smoke.
I was hoping some of you "experts" might like to share any starting tips for us newbies?

Warren

I dont use clutch for starting, however i have, and maybe with practise it could be a better way...

For now i rev the engine in neutral, with accelerator at around 80% pressed, then drop to 1st gear when red light goes out, and try to play with the accelerator after, to have max. speed off the line between wheelspin and engine goes dead situation... lol

• Henrik Stoldt

I do use clutch :). Before the lights turn out I'm at about 3000 revs. When they're turning out, I'm giving full thottle for an instant, to get a little wheelspin, and lift my foot about 40%, until the engine drops back to 5000 revs and my tyres get grip again. Now it should be possible to press the pedal down, without causing wheelspin.

I like to give my fans (*bows*) something good to look at - I stick 'er in 1st gear with full clutch and full revs, concentrating on releasing the clutch as quickly as possible after the red lights go out.
Seems to work well - I normally start quicker than most people, and a bit o' wheelspin never hurt anyone. warms up the tires nicely for the first few corners!
After some practice you learn to judge the length of time it takes for the lights to go out - and quicken your reaction time.

• Richard Johansson

rpmlimit then i just put first gear in.. very often i accelerate som 8th to 2nd to first corner.. maybe because i got a RWD but not sure :) haha

This is my "fabulous" technic:

Rev up to the max in neutral! When the red light dies i shift in to 1st gear, causing huge wheelspin and dito smoke!
Then try to avoid that your slow vehicle gets hit by others who started faster (all)
Hope it works for you :)

TheStig[RPM said:
]
Then try to avoid that your slow vehicle gets hit by others who started faster (all)
Hope it works for you :)

that is at the core of my starting technique as well. i just sit idle because i don't believe in revving your engine, waste of fuel hehe.
besides i am much too nervous for jimbobs fancy technique. when the red lights fade i am way too excited to do anything but step on the pedal trying to avoid total spin but also trying to have some, because i have never found grip without at least a little spin.
as it goes, i usually drop four places at the start, so do not follow my advice. :-#

Actually I'm now several steps closer.
I spent some time today getting experience on the RPM public server today, and what an experience it was. Learned all about the crash em up derby's, got much more familiar with the sand traps than normal, but it was all good for me (at the moment). One hilarious event at Istanbul where one knucklehead took out most of the field at turn 1, drove me into the wall as I was overtaking him heading to the finish line (he actually passed through the wall as he herded me over), and initiated (unsuccessfully) a vote to kick out the winner of race 1 because he was (quote) "too fast". He also smart mouthed me after driving me into the wall. At least you guys had warned me about this stuff, so no big deal.
Finally found a race with the quick guys at Valencia and had my butt kicked (literally into the sand in both races) but by the end I was getting a little more comfortable. All good for the learning curve and a lot of fun. My starting has improved!!
I'm still not sure how to communicate (chat) with others so they may have found me a bit quiet. More to learn yet before I can feel comfortable in your tournaments.
Is there particular times when you guys have "friendly" races on the public or closed servers ? I might have to rearrange my sleeping times to fit in occasionally.

• Kubica

I use clutch, i only have a button for clutch so it is or 100% or 0% bud nothing in between, So before the start i shift 1st and hold clutch. I keep the revs on 6 to 7000 RPM when the red light is off i let go the clutch button and try to have as less wheelspin as possible.

• Kubica

If you use the clutch button you don't have the (verry)small relay the gearbox need to set the 1st gear. You also have the advance the power goes smoother on the front wheels causing less wheelspin. Give it a try you will see what i mean.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 350 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 484 39.0%