starting rig up to 2000$

Hi,

I'm completely new with simracing. I've never played using a wheel. The last car game I've played was Need for Speed Most Wanted (from 2006) and I really love it! I would like to try some serious racing. I think I will more like games like Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally or open world like The Crew. I also really like the Spintires series. I'm not interested in racetracks and Formula 1 but I could try it either.

I was thinking about two setups:

a) Thrustmaster TS-GT + TH8A + T3PA PRO + Sparco R383 Mod

b) Fanatec ClubSport V2.5 + ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 + ClubSport Pedals V3 + Brake Performance Kit + Pedals V3 Damper Kit + Wheel (I don't know which one)

QUESTIONS:

1.) Unfortunately I can not buy the full cockpit and racing chair (not enough space). I can not play on the sofa either. So the only thing I have is a regular gaming chair on wheels. I know that it is a huge problem so that's what I'm asking about. How to solve it? The rubber tops instead of the wheels won't work - I'm working on this chair for the full day. And I don't want to change the wheels and rubber tops every day. What can I do to improve ergonomic? I have a huge, wooden table so probably I will attach the shifter and the wheel to it. If I will go with Thrustmaster I was thinking about buying the WheelStand Pro Deluxe V2. Will it work with a regular gaming chair? In terms of hardware I know that the Fanatec setup is much better. But is there any sense buying it if I do not have a cockpit? Can it be ergonomic and comfortable?

2.) I do not know which will to choose. I will play on a PC but I would like to have a compatibility with the consoles (not necessary but will be very appreciated). The Fanatec has so many wheels. The Porsche 911 GT3 with so many buttons, Porsche 918 RSR or the R300. Or maybe rounded version (R330) will be better? Which do I should to choose? The "flatten" version will be better or the round one?

3.) What is the difference in the feel with alcantara and suede? Which will be better if my hand do not sweat at all?

The total budget I have is 2000$. But I have a huge doubts if it is possible to play on a regular gaming chair. Will be very glad for any advice.

Cheers, Michael

If I will go with Thrustmaster I was thinking about buying the WheelStand Pro Deluxe V2.

Spend a little more and get a GT Omega Apex Wheel Stand: https://www.gtomega.com/products/apex-steering-wheel-stand. Solid enough to mount any of the wheels you're looking at (you could probably even mount a DD wheel if you really wanted to) and with a really stiff steel pedal plate with virtually no flex. It comes complete with a shifter mount and is pre-drilled for most wheels and pedals. It can even fold away when not in use. I posted a mini review here:

and there's a video review from Sim Racing Garage here:

Well worth the money and definitely the best of the sub-$200 stands by a big margin.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank You for the link. It's really a good idea. So I should not affraid of playing on a gaming chair? Just the good option will be buying the wheel casters with brakes? And what about the wheel? If I will go with Fanatec - which will be the best option for the newbie simracer like I am?

Upvote 0
I agree with the wheel stand. I live in a small apartment in NYC and I use a playseat challenge and I would of preferred the wheel stand. The challenge wobbles in the wheeldeck and the chair isn’t all that comfy. I also had to put a small steel bar under the pedals and screw it under the bottom to properly mount load cell pedals, but this was a minor mod. I’ve heard of people doing stuff like putting the wheels of your gaming chair in a pair of shoes that have rubber soles, makes it really hard to move. You can try it at home, put some in your chair wheels and try to push against a wall with your foot like you were braking hard.

I went with the fanatec csl elite ps4 wheel which I hear isn’t much different than the csw. Boosted media on YouTube did a review on both wheels. I also went with the csl elite load cell pedals, but I wish I got the v3s. The clutch and gas pedals aren’t so great on the elite, and the load cell break has a bad design that makes you inconsistent unless you hit the brakes in the same spot every time. So I would do either csl elite ps4 base or csw base, and the v3 pedals. I was also a newbie too and like I said I would atleast go for v3 pedals over the csl elite.

Upvote 0
So I should not affraid of playing on a gaming chair? Just the good option will be buying the wheel casters with brakes?

Brakes/locks on the casters didn't work for me - mine lock when there's weight on the chair. If you get pedals with a load cell brake (definitely recommended - don't get the T3PA Pros for that reason) you'll probably still push your chair back even with the caster brakes/locks on. There's a whole thread here about stabilising a chair with casters:

I bought a couple of adjustable cargo straps from Amazon and looped them around the wheel stand top bar and the arm rest supports of my chair. Works perfectly for me but probably depends on the arm rest design and strength.

As to wheels and pedals, as good as Fanatec are, they don't have the best reputation for quality control. It's worth reading this thread before you buy:

Upvote 0
My 2 bobs coming from someone who played on a normal desk chair with wheels removed and the fanatec V3 load cell pedals the step up to a full rig is enormous. That being said the setup I had was fully functional but not comfortable at all (killed my back and glutes).

If you happen to have space to at least store a rig next to your desk you could look at the next level GT track. It comes with wheels so you could roll this in and out when working or racing (that is if you have the room to store it). It also isn't crazy expensive and solidly built and somewhat compact.

Wheel and pedal combo wise the Thrustmaster t300 is a perfectly good wheel to start out on and doesn't cost as much as the fanatec stuff. Or the ts-pc if you have the budget will also be great. I would find the cheapest deal on this, and then look to upgrade pedals to the fanatec v3's if it fits in your budget (or get them straight away, don't bother with the Thrustmaster pedals). Also don't bother with both the damper and brake performance kit, pick one or the other. If you are just on a normal chair and not a full rig don't bother with brake performance kit as the force you will need to press the brake will be too much for any chair I reckon.

The th8 shifter isn't great, but handy as it does sequential and h pattern. I have one, but don't love it and rarely use h pattern, so probably should have just bought a heusinkveld sequential instead. You need to decide if you will use h pattern much or not first. If not go with a better sequential shifter as mentioned. I hear the fanatec shifter is decent but yet to try so can't comment.

Upvote 0
How about everything attached to your seat? Imagine it without the motion v3, the pedals on the floor. If look for deals, it could be cheap as mine.

Amazon warehouse
NLE motion v3 $1680.
Playseat flight seat $150
NLR Playseat adapter $50

Amazon new
T300 GT with pedals $200
HOTAS $130
20200308_014418.jpg
20200308_014535.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News