Starting from scratch and it's getting confusing

I've been researching sim racing for awhile now and have finally decided on what I think would be a good setup. I've never tried it before but it's something that really interests me. With other hobbies I've always started small and had to keep upgrading and in the end it cost a fortune so this time around I'm going in the opposite direction. Does the equipment below sound like a solid start and what type of monitors would I need? I'd like 3-32" monitors if it's possible. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Trak Racer TR80 with GT seat
Clubsport V2.5 with Clubsport Forumla wheel
Clubsport pedals
Buttkicker
Gaming PC with Ryzen 5 5600X and 3070 graphics card (PC cost is $2150 before tax)

With that and shipping I'm probably at $5000 without any monitors or monitor stands.

Last edited:
Honestly it's hard to comment too much because I dont know your goals/budget etc.

Yes, you have certainly made a step up from the entry units but are also only looking at gear that many also progress from on to better stuff. If your goal is to not have to buy again and budget not an issue then probably there is other gear to look at.

If on the other hand, you have a budget and are trying to get the best you can for that budget even though you could get cheaper hardware and save some $$ then I could say you are on an OK path with that but there are people around better versed in fanatec and it's pricing.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response. I'm trying to stay in the 5-7k range for everything including monitors. Unfortunately I don't have a gaming PC so that's eating up a nick chunk of budget. I know how I am and if I go too cheap I'll regret it.

Upvote 0
Well phase 1 is complete. I ordered the Trak Racer TR80 cockpit and Corsair A7200 gaming PC. Next up is the Corbeau FX1 Pro seat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Based on what you said about budget, I think you are OK with the Clubsport v2.5. If you went direct drive you would probably spend an additional £580 for a DD1.

I have no experience of DD but a lot of people seem to think there is extra detail.

I went from a TX to a Clubsport 2.5 and I'm quite happy with the step-up in FFB and quality (I went for the Formula v2 wheel) although it was a fairly costly upgrade (£800) but I did manage to sell my TX for £220 on eBay.

The plus side is if you start with the Clubsport you should have no problem selling it later on if you upgrade to a DD1.

If you go for a DD1 now then you are looking at £1400 with a wheel. All depends how much budget you have spare.

There are other DD makes out there as well. Which DD is best I think is probably subjective. Perhaps other people on here can point you to alternatives?

Upvote 0
Personally I think at this time period the CSW is not a good value item, particularly when you pair it with a formula rim and you don't get a bundle discount. With that amount of money you are at a simagic m10 or accuforce budget, and these direct drive wheels have better ffb. If I were you (who wishes for a formula rim) I would get simagic m10 gt4 bundle.

I don't think a buttkicker is a necessity. I would put it relatively low on the priority list. Because I see you put formula rim and no shifter on the list - I assume you don't use the clutch a lot so if I were you I would put the budget for the buttkicker into a nicer set of 2-pedal setup, such as heusinkveld sprints.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the feedback. After thinking about it I agree the buttkicker is something I probably won't need. I'm more into F1 and I guess basic track racing. I've also looked at the Accuforce Pro V2 but the wheels they have available aren't really visually appealing to me.

Upvote 0
After thinking about it I agree the buttkicker is something I probably won't need.
Buttkicker is something that is nice to have, but (1) hard to tweak and (2) necessary. Just my 2 cents.
I've also looked at the Accuforce Pro V2 but the wheels they have available aren't really visually appealing to me.
That is also why I suggested Simagic M10 over the AFv2. I am currently using their duramold formula rim on my VRS DFP wheel base. It is not very comfortable either. While I don't have experience with the Simagic GT4 wheel rim yet (looking to maybe order one in near future), I am quite sure it will be more comfortable.

Upvote 0
Well I'm almost finished with cockpit. One box is still in transit so I should be able to finish it in a couple hours after it gets here. I'm having trouble finding a seat in stock. I wanted the Corbeau FX1 but I can't find it anywhere. Anyway, here's the progress.

Attachments

• IMG_5445.jpg
    IMG_5445.jpg
    621 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5446.jpg
    IMG_5446.jpg
    434.4 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0
Stick with the V2.5 , I have a DD1 and upgraded from the V2.5 and can say with certainty that the DD1 is not 2 x better performance than the V2.5 , the DD1 does have a little better feel and FFB compared to the V2.5 but if you don't have money to throw around then the V2.5 is by far the best non DD wheel out there.

Lucky you didn't get the TrakRacer seat as it's bloody horrible , it's the most uncomfortable , restrictive , crap seat I have sat in , I replaced it within a couple of months , I also have the TR80 with the inverted pedal mount for my HE Pro pedals and it's very good , solid with no flex.

Also I have the Fanatec McLaren GT3 wheel ( V1 and V2 ) and it's the best wheel I have ever used , it's dimensions and ergonomics are spot on , I use it for everything , even rallying (WRC 9) , by far the best value wheel out there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 157 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 299 27.8%