Start difficulties with R3E

Thanks to Martin Fialas troubleshooting, now I can at least get into R3E in VR mode, although I stil have to jump through some hoops to do it.
R3E in VR won't work if I start it as the first sim in Steam to start, respectively it starts, but the screen is waaaay down between my legs: to even see the screen at all I nearly have to look under my seat, so to speak.
In that position I obviously can't select anything, and the " center VR " button doesn't work either.
If however, I start PC2 or rF2 first, and then R3E, it works. Has anybody any ideas as to how I can change this? Is there anything I can change in the config. file, or somewhere else so that the screen is on center and usable when I start the program?
Could this even be a Steam VR app problem? I use an WMR Acer headset, and have to use the Steam app.

If you've mapped the 'centre VR' control already then it should work as soon as the menus appear. I'm not sure why it doesn't for you. :O_o:

I have a Rift rather than WMR so I'm not sure how similar they are in functionality. One thing to try is putting your headset on and sitting in your driving position before starting R3E. Also, if your WMR requires it's own software to be running in order to function, check to see if it has an option to centre VR itself (the Oculus software does) and do that while in your driving position and before starting R3E.

Doing either of these things should help R3E put the menus in the right place, instead of wherever your headset was before you put it on your head.

Thanks for replying, but everything you've mentioned I do already. I always start every VR application with the headset already on, I can't imagine why anyone would want to do it any other way ?
The center VR button is on my wheel, ( TS-PC Racer ), it's the same button for all my sims, and indeed works in R3E too, if I can manage to get to the start screen, and of course in the game itself.
The problem is, should I try to start it without starting rF2 or PC2 first, is that the screen is waaaay down between my legs, and doesn't react at all when I use the center VR button.
So then I have no alternative but to to kill it in the task manager, and then open another sim first, before I try again. Then it works ( mostly )
I have tried all the start options in Steam, none of them work. I have "-vr" ( without the speech marks ) entered in the start options, I have also tried all of the start options without the -vr.
No difference at all.
I have the feeling that the support and interest in the WMR headsets is, being diplomatic, less than stellar from R3Es and Steams side, they just don't seem to care. The Steam VR app is still in beta after, how long ? Two years ? Not sure, I only bought the headset last September, before that I only drove in pancake mode, and never had need to use any programs to do with VR.
In the time I've been using VR, as far as the support is concerned, I haven't noticed anything getting any better in any respect.
All I know is, all my other Steam games work with my Acer headset . Which leads me to believe that either R3E or Steam should get their act together at last, and do something about this well-known problem, instead of hoping it will go away.
Until somebody pulls their finger out, I'll just have to get used to starting rF2 before I start R3E. Or maybe I should just stay in rF2 anyway ? It works flawlessly, always.
Are you listening, Steam and R3E ? I'm not holding my breath.....

I have the feeling that the support and interest in the WMR headsets is, being diplomatic, less than stellar from R3Es and Steams side, they just don't seem to care. The Steam VR app is still in beta after, how long ? Two years ?
Well, VR in R3E in general isn't perfect because the sim is still DX9. DX9 is not officially supported by any of the major VR providers. S3 have had to implement a workaround to get it to work at all, which I think is to their credit... they didn't have to, especially since if they really are upgrading the engine, VR should be fully supported at that point.

That said, I think the problem is actually SteamVR, not R3E or your WMR headset. (PC2 doesn't need SteamVR with my Oculus, don't think rF2 does either.) I am forced to use SteamVR myself, since Oculus is not natively supported by R3E. You only have to visit the SteamVR forums to see the huuuuuuuuge number of issues this piece of crap software has, and why many people seek workarounds to bypass it entirely if possible. I mean, I have to manually downgrade my SteamVR to a version from October 2018 just to prevent crazy stuttering in R3E and other SVR-based games. How dumb is that? Yet Valve continue to deny there are any real compatibility issues, and that everything they do is for the greater good. Sure. :O_o:

Well, WMR headsets are a niche within a niche, and a fairly new one as well. And judged by what I see mentioned, they seem to have plenty of issues in various games.

BTW, you say it is a well-known problem, could you point us out to where it is discussed? So far, looking at the S3 forums, I've only really found your own thread about it.

Well, VR in R3E in general isn't perfect because the sim is still DX9. DX9 is not officially supported by any of the major VR providers. S3 have had to implement a workaround to get it to work at all, which I think is to their credit... they didn't have to, especially since if they really are upgrading the engine, VR should be fully supported at that point.

That said, I think the problem is actually SteamVR, not R3E or your WMR headset. (PC2 doesn't need SteamVR with my Oculus, don't think rF2 does either.) I am forced to use SteamVR myself, since Oculus is not natively supported by R3E. You only have to visit the SteamVR forums to see the huuuuuuuuge number of issues this piece of crap software has, and why many people seek workarounds to bypass it entirely if possible. I mean, I have to manually downgrade my SteamVR to a version from October 2018 just to prevent crazy stuttering in R3E and other SVR-based games. How dumb is that? Yet Valve continue to deny there are any real compatibility issues, and that everything they do is for the greater good. Sure. :O_o:
OK, if what you say about R3E is true, then they are off the hook as far as my problem is concerned. I didn't know they are still using DX9, that would explain a few things too.
As far as Steam is concerned, they were my first suspect from the start anyway: since I've been using VR, I have the feeling that there is a new beta version every 10 minutes, but I never see any difference, and it never seems to get any better in any respect.
I wouldn't know how to try out all my stuff in Steam without using their VR app. Apart from
completly de-installing it all from my computer that is. It is so intrusive that even if I want to start in pancake mode, it starts all the VR apps anyway :confused:
I've never thought sbout trying to be honest: rF2 and PC2 work flawlessly, and I've given up on ACC until such time as they make the VR UI usable. Their excuse is that they're having difficulties with UE :D Kunos, I love you...

Well, WMR headsets are a niche within a niche, and a fairly new one as well. And judged by what I see mentioned, they seem to have plenty of issues in various games.

BTW, you say it is a well-known problem, could you point us out to where it is discussed? So far, looking at the S3 forums, I've only really found your own thread about it.
Couldn't find anything in english so quickly, do you understand German?

Sorry for German:

Der Center Button funktioniert erst wenn Du im Hauptmenü bist, also wenn Du die Musik hörst.

Trotz DX9 funktioniert VR imho sehr gut und wischt mit meinem Liebling RF2 grafisch den Boden auf. Ich habe eine Pimax - also Extrem-Nische.

Sorry for German:

Der Center Button funktioniert erst wenn Du im Hauptmenü bist, also wenn Du die Musik hörst.

Trotz DX9 funktioniert VR imho sehr gut und wischt mit meinem Liebling RF2 grafisch den Boden auf. Ich habe eine Pimax - also Extrem-Nische.
Mein Problem ist, so weit kommen zu können, sodas der Center Button funktioniert. Das Display ist unerreichbar.

My problem is, to get to the point where the center button works. I can't reach the display.

Nein, und ich habe jetzt aufgegeben. Wenn ich erst rF2 starte, und denn R3E, denn fünzt das.
Das Leben geht weiter...
No, and I've given up now. When I start rF2 first, and then start R3E, it works...
Life goes on....

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 102 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 184 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 363 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing