Standing start: how to?

NickB

Premium
Hi guys,

Thanks to your help and a bit of training, I'm starting to manage to keep those WTCC mostly on the track now. And even routinely win races against the AI (well... at 90% that is :) ). So it will soon be time to join the Racing Club :)

Before that, another question about a particular technique: the standing start!
I find it very hard to nail down, being always passed by 2 or 3 cars in the second race. Do you guys have any advice? (what sort of rpm to use... how to sequence throttle and cluch......)
I drive the Leon 07, and use a G25 with everything manual and all aids off.

Thanks!

Nick

FWD cars are a pain to get cleanly off the line, but try about 50% throttle in first with the clutch down, then let the clutch up smoothly when the lights change

RWD are 'easier' to get a clean start with, maybe upto 75% throttle instead of 50, just be careful with the power otherwise u will be facing the other way :bad:

• Nathan Cullen

I use auto clutch (haven't got a clutch on my Thrustmaster Ferrari F430 FFB), and can never make a quick getaway.

Any ideas???

I'm like Bram, throttle up just before the limiter and release clutch smoothly.

The best thing to do is just pratice it. It's a case of balancing the throttle and letting the clutch of smoothly. If you feel the wheels starting to loose traction then ease the throttle back a bit.

Play with the clutch setting in Options-Control Settings-Advanced-Clutch Sensitivity, and play with the numbers. If you have the clutch on a button, tapping it after release can help but usually throttle modulation is best, as has been noted.

I don't use the clutch at all when starting. All I do is start in Neutral, rev up until the engine's just bouncing off the limiter, then when the lights go out I shift into 1st and away I go. I usually ease on the throttle and keep the revs constant to make sure that I get as little wheelspin as possible. Nearly every race I've done using this has seen me grab a few positions off the line. :)

• Nathan Cullen

I don't use the clutch at all when starting. All I do is start in Neutral, rev up until the engine's just bouncing off the limiter, then when the lights go out I shift into 1st and away I go. I usually ease on the throttle and keep the revs constant to make sure that I get as little wheelspin as possible. Nearly every race I've done using this has seen me grab a few positions off the line. :)

Can I ask if you're using 'auto clutch'? Also, what clutch sensitivity setting are you on?

Thanks

Thanks a lot, seems I just need a bit of practice then, time to schedule a 'standing start' session on a deserted track somewhere!

Good point Neil about the FWD vs. RWD issue, I tried an Aston Martin GT yesterday and starting was much much easier than in my usual Leon.

Oh and Rhys, please don't try this at home ;-)

I used to 'auto-clutch' before, now I am in manual clutch mode, but the start is one f the few moments I use the clutch.

Before starting was bad, with the change to manual I improved significantly (my impression).

• Nathan Cullen

Can I ask how I'd use manual clutch when I don't have a clutch pedal in my setup? (paddles only and only 2 pedals)

I have clutch under a button also. Don't need it except in the start or when i spin. Which is often...

Starts in neutral, rev's to the limit and when the lights change pop in first and try not have a lot of wheelspin after the initial "kick". Usually i pick up two-three places in the start by that.

I'm a bit above average at standing starts relative to my peers that I race with. I can usually get a good start relative to the other 25 guys on the grid that i race with. Here's how I do it.

Rev to just over red line and watch the light. As soon as it goes green, I shift to first and even depress the throttle a little more.... then it's all about sensory input.... listen for the traction and the engine telling you to shift to 2nd. You may have to come off the throttle just a bit as your tires begin too much spin. You want optimal grip through this process but it still requires a lot of throttle.

Try this and see what you get.... i don't use clutch at all.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 101 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 183 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 358 27.9%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 500 39.0%