SRPL shaders

Hi. I have converted a mod from rFactor for my own use. The cars use SRPL shaders. The cars look good in the showroom but I get a CTD when trying to load a track. When I disable the shaders the mod works like a charm and I like the way the cars drive but they all (except for one) look bad - all shiny.
Any thoughts?

I assume you're overriding the shaders via the series file? If so you'd most likely have to replace the coreshaders as well.

I'd argue against this as a permanent "solution" though; apart from representing a downgrade it will almost certainly lead to other undesirable effects on the stock content at one point or another.

Instead of forcing the external shaders you could try and simply add and paint the skin's alpha channels in order to reduce its shininess as desired.

Thank you GTSpeedster. Yes, I disabled the shaders in the Series file. I played with the coreshaders but it made no difference ( I'm using a secondary install so no stock content.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start to paint skins. I greatly admire, and am grateful, to those who do. I think I'll just leave things alone.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you GTSpeedster. Yes, I disabled the shaders in the Series file. I played with the coreshaders but it made no difference ( I'm using a secondary install so no stock content.

Unfortunately I wouldn't know where to start to paint skins. I greatly admire, and am grateful, to those who do. I think I'll just leave things alone.

Thanks again.
About the skins it's not very hard, I'm sure you can do it. All you'll need is an image editing software like Photoshop, GIMP or others (you may need to add a plugin to some of those too in order to read DDS files but it's no biggie). Once you've managed to open the DDS textures for a certain skin you just have to either add or edit the existent alpha channel and paint it with an white-to-dark-gray color, usually ranging from 323232 to 676767 depending on the brightness of the main skin colors. You may just use the bucket tool to paint all the alpha with 373737 as it will generally already give you a good base for most skins.

Last edited:
GTSpeedster, I'm afraid you overestimate my abilities. I managed to load a dds file into GIMP. I played around, saved the result and was able to produce a, somewhat, lovely shade of red. But the paint job covered everything - including the logos.
Are you aware of a simple turorial that might get me started?

GTSpeedster, I'm afraid you overestimate my abilities. I managed to load a dds file into GIMP. I played around, saved the result and was able to produce a, somewhat, lovely shade of red. But the paint job covered everything - including the logos.
Are you aware of a simple turorial that might get me started?
I've been there myself and if I could do it so will you. :D

I'm attaching a few tutorials for you (shorturl.at/axNUX). For now try focusing on figuring out how to add and paint the alpha channel. I don't use GIMP but from my understanding (page 22 of the RD tutorial) you have to right click on the Layer and just select "Add Alpha Channel". It is this area that you must then paint with the gray scale and if done correctly it won't cover the main skin layer.

Let me know how it goes!

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 90 7.6%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 335 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing