Springs or Anti Roll Bars

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
When trying to rid your car of that dreaded understeer, most of us go for altering the springs before altering the ARB but is this the way. Or do you differ from the norm and alter the ARB before touching the springs.

Decisions decisions !!! opinions please,

• vmagics

I'm far from 'clued up' in the tuning area. But I treat them as [almost] separate aspects. - Springs for accelerating and decelarating at corners. ARBs for coasting/holding speed at corners. Therefore I honestly don't find any advantage either way...Well, that wasn't much use was it? Sorry.
While on the subject of understeer, if I may I'd like to ask what your (or anybodys)approach to understeer is. The thing that concerns me is the way some cars kind of shudder when understeering. I have found this to be most evident in the GTpro class, especially the Aston Martin DBR9. Is this avoidable or does the shuddering actually help the braking process in some way?

• Chad711

For understeer I usually adjust the toe-in for front and a little in the back. To get some traction out of the turn reduce the lock helps.

I'm no pro at tuning but this is what I am learning and doing lately. It helps

ARB Jarrod, as explained before by others too. My usual way of making an initial setup: set all springs to minimum, then adjust the ARB for car balance, if it is for some magic reason still not possible to set, then make adjsutment of slow bump and rebound, if still not enough, then touch the springs (1% of the cases, depends also on the car).

• Marcin Wójcik

Thanks Attila for advice:) I've never set all springs to minimum in the beginning. First I set ARB then caster and wings. Springs and bumpers only sometimes when car is still understeer. I must try your way.

Attila.
I do exactly the same as you always starting with minimum spring settings I also have brake bias set so that the car will come round under braking and then adjust the bb so that the turn in is good. Once I have the feel of the car how I like I fine tune with the arb's and wings.

Trevor

Well as a noob to set ups and after doing quite well with default, I am at the point were from default setup I adjust ARB, then Camber, then Lock/Coast/Preload to try to get it as smooth as I can.

I still have lots to learn.

I follow an old set up guide for GTR2 that suggests decreasing the Front ARB for more grip in curves. Still no idea what I'm doing but it works. I just test, sort gears, then do ARB's and check tyre temps after that sort the camber.

I generally take the default settings and soften the end of the car that needs the grip to make the car predictable to me. If it understeers, I soften the front. Oversteer, soften the back. I generally do both ARB and springs at the same time.

Predictability generally means I have more confidence in knowing what the car's going to do next, and allows me to push harder. Confidence is more important to me than outright speed.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 93 12.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 68 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 73 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 45 6.2%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 101 13.8%