Split Brakes

Discussion in 'TT Isle of Man - The Game' started by ChickenBoy18, May 26, 2018.

1. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    Hi guys I’m riding with aids completely off, except for brakes, which I have set to combined rather than split. I’ve tried and tried to use split brakes but can’t use them as effectively and get the bike stopped. I struggle on the big stops like Ballacraine, the Creg, Sulby Bridge etc particularly badly. I lock up a lot and end up crashing or outbraking myself as my braking distance is longer than with combined.

What technique do you guys use? With combine brakes I lean back, slam on the brakes and downshift smoothly for engine braking. What should I do with split brakes?

2. Lidoptics

Lidoptics

Ratings:
    +2
    Same thing with split brakes, just be careful using the front. Split brakes are useful since you only want to use your rear brake in fast sections.

But, the physics are wonky, so....

[​IMG]

3. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks I’ll try that.

4. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +279
    70% or thereabouts of real braking is done with the fronts so why does split make that much of a difference? Also digital action of a rear brake isn't that useful is it? Does it still engage the clutch when the rear brake is on?

5. DucFreak

DucFreak

Ratings:
    +196
    I think I'm a different case compared to others, in that I'm not after laptimes or game results/recognition. I'm only interested in the best immersion, because I ride in real life and look for something that can relate to the real life experience (with a PC game), while being limited to a gamepad (but with analog controls for brake and throttle).
    So, please consider this for the rest of the post. ;)

IMHO, in this game the combined brakes are not really what you encounter in real life.
    IRL, the front brake does about 70% to 90% of the job, and the rear brake is mostly used as a "brake compensator" or balancer. (which is what it mostly is on a real life sportsbike/racebike)
    The rear brake in this game works like a clutch, and not like a rear brake.
    Meaning, using combined brakes in this game is comparable to an action where the clutch and brake levers are pressed, all at same time - it's unrealistic and somewhat counter-intuitive.

Therefore, I find using split brakes is the only possible way to go. (to me anyway, YMMV)

I use only the front brake to brake, and I try to be fairly cautious and gentle with it, like one would be IRL. After setting a very low sensitivity (on analog trigger) it works "OK" in terms of effectiveness and immersion. (braking behaviour here is a different mattter, more related w/ physics issues)
    ATM, I do use Anti-stoppie at 'Low' as riding assistance, to counter the lack of feeling (which, TBH, I think one could only get with a real life brake lever).

I then only use the rear brake ocasionally and, funny enough, I treat it exactly as a clutch.
    I use it mostly to "spike/instigate" revs (like you would IRL on a 2-stroke), or pop-up a wheelie. Sometimes also for "blipping" the throttle when downshifting. (for the non-bikers, think of it as the motorcycle equivalent of the "heel n' toe" technique) :) So, used mostly for fun and appreciated for that!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  6. Lidoptics

Lidoptics

Ratings:
    +2
    I have to pump the rear brake. On and off, while holding the front brake. It's the only way I get consistent braking.

I also don't care about lap times, just the most authentic experience. I hope they fix things.

7. Tim Cannon

Tim Cannon

Ratings:
    +51
    Hey I was reading on the steam forums in the 1.05 patch thread that right stick down is actually rear brake. I didn't know that. When I first started using split brakes, I used rear brake with a button, and i tried using it in different ways with the front brake. I never found a comfortable way to use it, and I just gave up on it. I still use split brakes, but I only use front brakes. When I was experimenting with the rear brake, there were times my stopping distance did decrease, but I couldn't be consistent. That's why I stopped using it. I'm way more consistent using just the front brake.

I would like to know if the rear brake on the right stick is actually analog. Does anybody know? If it is, I definitely want to use it, but it will be tough to relearn my controls.

8. ChickenBoy18

ChickenBoy18

Ratings:
    +49
    I’ve been using them quite successfully since I made this thread. My technique is a bit unusual though as I downshift on the A button rather than a bumper, so I do this strange “toe heel” type technique with my thumb so I can apply the rear brake and downshift smoothly at the same time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.