Spline; lateral divisions and compound banking

I've noticed the lateraly subdivided spline in the latest version of Racer.
Is it possible to let this spline follow a compound banked corner?
I'm thinking of a Nascar oval style corner wich start on the left with 6 degrees banking and ends with 18 degrees on the right side of the track.
I thought these bowl shape corners would be nice on a racetrack as it provides multiple racing lines.

So, is it possible?
Does anyone know how?

Lateral subdivision helps to smooths the normal banking corners, only.
A subdivision of 1 would "output" more stepping. For this reason we can raise the subdivision.
The current spline-tool offers 2 points (left + right), only, there's no option to use more vertexes, or change the shape itself. But if you have a highpoly track-mesh, you can disable collision in the spline.ini (if I remember right):
Code:
collision=0

But if you have a highpoly track-mesh

This is just the thing I try to avoid.
You'd need a lot of polys from left to right to make it feel smooth but only a few to make it look right.
I was hoping the new subdivided spline could solve this.
But thanks man.

Perhaps something for Ruud to work on??

A bit late to reply here but, you could try the LIDAR track mesh technique.

Simply create a lower poly visual mesh, and a much higher polygon surface mesh. Then use the RLD file format to tool to turn the high poly surface mesh from an ASE object into the RLD file.

I've not tried it yet but I'm assuming it works.

You'd still need splines as well for the AI or other features like that, but use 'use mesh hits' in the spline.ini file.

I assume in this case that use mesh hits will simply turn off splines but let the RLD surface be used instead. I'm not sure how you set the surface properties though (ie, flags for the visual mesh geometry so it can be hit/rolled over on etc, but the wheels use the actual RLD?)

Hmmm

Dave

Dave, the RLD file format and the generation of those is available to RacerPro customers only.

At this time, compound banking is not fully supported in the free version of Racer, sorry about that.

Last edited:
Ah well :(

I suppose in the end proper cross-sections may well come to splines.

If not we always have very high density visual meshes. With smart LOD'ing and management you could probably run on 20cm interval meshes with very good performance since you are moving more and more closely to a smooth line any way... especially after you consider that the bumpier surfaces we want to simulate probably use softer cars to start with which soften out the more jaggedy surfaces.

Dave

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back