[SPECULATION] The Mazda Miata replacement model

Isaac Chavira

Livery Designer
So, I hear (or read rather) the new MX-5 will have 180bhp ^ from a 160bhp motor. I was wondering what if they went with a 1.6L Turbo 4 cylinder? I think that would be a good move since turbos traditionally put down more torque than N/A motors.

I'd like to see that happen. Firstly get rid of the convertible mechanism all together. This would be in favor of a manual rag much like the very expensive 2011 Porsche Boxtser Spyder had. Bump the wheels up to 18" and lastly drop that 1.6L turbo in. I think in all we could save over 45-50lbs in un-sprung weight.

What say you all?

2019-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-1.jpg

So, I hear (or read rather) the new MX-5 will have 180bhp ^ from a 160bhp motor. I was wondering what if they went with a 1.6L Turbo 4 cylinder? I think that would be a good move since turbos traditionally put down more torque than N/A motors.

I'd like to see that happen. Firstly get rid of the convertible mechanism all together. This would be in favor of a manual rag much like the very expensive 2011 Porsche Boxtser Spyder had. Bump the wheels up to 18" and lastly drop that 1.6L turbo in. I think in all we could save over 45-50lbs in un-sprung weight.

One of my all time most favorite cars, from gen one to today. I think it's the MGB built correctly.

I'm so very glad that Mazda has resisted the urge to give it the "Elvis" treatment ... small, swift, strong and agile when it was young, fat, slow, bald and dead on a commode when it got old. American car builders do it ALL THE TIME!!!

In the old days the problem with turbo's was lag, especially seeing how little air the small motors flow. I DO remember all those little turbos put on Fiat X-1/9's and 124's. If there is gonna be a problem getting the car off the corners ... skip the turbo, I'd rather have the power and torque of the big motor.

I love the idea of losing weight ... and I'm fine with a manual top (crap ... just how many MGB's have I owned?). For my money you might as well rip out the carpets and the superfluous other chairs ... and the radio. And throw away the jack and spare tire as well.

But that's my money ... and I don't have to sell them for a living. Unfortunately there are other consumers that Mazda has to consider.

One of my all time most favorite cars, from gen one to today. I think it's the MGB built correctly.

As I think on it, I have a 1990 MB 500 SL and a 1970 MGB-GT in my garage ... and a 1968 M35a2 Deuce and a Half in the driveway.

I think I could be talked into trading off all of them ... including all my MGB spare parts ... for a VERY good Gen 4 ... or 5 MX-5

I wish they would do a Mazdaspeed version for this generation. I am actually half-way thinking of trading my Mustang in for one of these. I really like them. I like seeing them on the road. They look like so much fun to drive. In fact it was because of iRacing why I started to like this car.

If they keep the weight down ( junking electric systems would be a start ) then hell, use a 3 cyl turbo to make it even lighter if they have to. My first car was a Midget which is basically two seats and a Mini Cooper engine, stupid fun with probably less than half the power of a current MX-5.

Edit: quick research, the original MX-5 was 940kg, the current one is about 1060kg for the manual. Less bloat please. You don't need an electric roof, you don't need power steering in a car that size, I'm sure there's plenty more places to save some weight.

Last edited:
I'm sure the engine is dead emissions and economy wise, and the exhaust note can be a bit grating, but has Mazda even considered a Rotary? Scads of useful RPM and the little engine doesn't weigh a thing.

Simon's post reminded me of an older Spridget (generic Sprite/Midget) somebody had installed a Rotary into. Nice looking car and a nicely done install, the little bugger tore up the autocross scene in New Jersey for a couple years long ago. The RX-3 & RX-4 coupes and first gen RX-7 could give Porsche 911's fits back in the day.

If you still need MORE ... these little engines used to turbo quite nicely.

I'm curious how much power a MX-5 chassis can comforably take; I was watching some MX-5 racing & remembered the TVR Tuscan challenge, which were 450bhp FR roadsters weighing about 850kg with no ( well, minimal ) aero - so basically slightly lighter MX-5s with considerably more power. Tuscans were great fun to watch, just like the MX-5 challenge but with a bit more potential for lead-foot mistakes.

Is there a lightweight v6 turbo that'd fit in there? I guess the rotary idea has potential for compact power too. There's a kit to shove a Jag ( Ford/Mazda VVT ) v6 in but that's not really much more than you can get out of an I-4 turbo.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back