specs for triple screens too low?

Hi,

I have been racing AC for a few years with triples and the image and fps never were a problem.
Now I want to make the switch to ACC and, what a cold shower that was... :(
The image, although resolution scale is set at 100, is like a game from the 90's
and the fps are :cry::cry::cry: around 43fps, with almost every setting in the video options set to low
So it not only runs not fluently, but the screens are that pixelated and important trackdetails
are missing, so it will be very hard to become good at this game with these pcspecs I fear:
-CPU: I7-4790K @4.00 GHz
-16 GB Ram DDR3
-GPU: GTX 980
The screens are 3x 27 inch 1920-1080 60hz
The pc is almost 5 years old now but was back then 'top notch'.

-Is this game unreasonably heavy and unoptimised?
-Are my expectations unreasonably high and need to be optimised asap?
-Or am I missing some golden tweaks??

Really want to sink my teeth in this game but not like this... :cautious:

Any advice welcome.
Thnx in advance...

Tim

-Are my expectations unreasonably high and need to be optimised asap?
1) ACC doesn't do "proper" triple screens at this time and likely never will, so unless you have your monitors arranged as a single flat panel, it will be distorted on the side monitors.
2) ACC, because of the Unreal graphics engine, is sluggish compared to AC, so if you were borderline in AC (and you are with a 980 pushing triple screens), then you'll drop below a satisfactory experience in ACC.

And it's not only about Unreal engine being poor, but the general development of graphics engines. Your PC is five years old, but it's also easy to forget that it's actually five years since AC graphics engine was built and race sim graphics engines have developed and become heavier to run, just like every other game. It's a bit similar like comparing the performance of Battlefield 4 (released 2013) and noticing it's much worse than Battlefield 5 (released 2018). Well, it is, but it doesn't necessarily have to do anything with poor optimization.

So the lowering of FPS in newer titles is a normal development, I'm finding it surprising that people are surprised about it when back 10 years ago you had to buy new hardware every second year to play anything at all. A GTX 980 is about on par with a GTX 1060, which was a good mid-end card when it was released in 2017. For triples and modern sims, I'd argue GTX 1070 or RTX 2060 is a minimum starting point.

Last edited:
I'm running 3440x1440 with a gtx 1070 and medium settings. But I have resolution scale only set to 80%... If I put it to 100%, the fps go down.
Now 3440x1440 x 0.8 = 3.962.880

3x 1920x1080 x 1.0 = 6.220.800

So you're running about 1.6x my resolution with a weaker card (980 ti would be equivalent to mine).

Totally normal that it runs like crap, sadly.
In Witcher 3 for example I only have around 50 fps too with that resolution. High settings but that game is from 2015 and has about the same performance as acc on medium settings.

Or battlefield 5, which runs at 60 fps but only at very low settings. Assassin's creed Odyssey only runs at 45 fps on low settings with my monitor.

AC is not gpu hungry and kinda old now. ACC is meant to look the best of all sims and is a 2019 title. Compared to other 2018/19 titles it's not even that gpu hungry.

You're simply running a lot of pixels with a gpu from 2014 in a game from 2019 that aims to look the best :redface:

There are the 10xx series, 20xx series and 20xx super series now and next year the 30xx will probably come.
That's 2.5 generations (the super isn't a real gen..).

Don't go sli! For many people it works flawlessly but it can also be a real pain...
Better sell your 980 and buy something new!

For gpu: you should find out if your monitors can run freesync. If they do, you might want to consider buying one of the new amd fx5700 xt.

If they don't, then I would recommend an rtx 2070 (super depending on prices).
Gpu bang for the buck gets worse the higher end the card is so at some point you have to consider buying once or buying twice.

I prefer to get the '60s or' 70s in the nvidia range and buy every second gen. You can also get a 80 like you have now and stretch it to 3 gens.

A 80 ti is only useful when you need the maximum performance right now.

With the amount of pixels you're running you should look at the 4k benchmarks.
My 1070 is about 20% faster than your 980. So you can go from the 1070 in the benchmarks if there's no 980 anymore and add 20% :)

Don't go sli! For many people it works flawlessly but it can also be a real pain...

For gpu: you should find out if your monitors can run freesync. If they do, you might want to consider buying one of the new amd fx5700 xt.

Gpu bang for the buck gets worse the higher end the card is so at some point you have to consider buying once or buying twice.

I prefer to get the '60s or' 70s in the nvidia range and buy every second gen. You can also get a 80 like you have now and stretch it to 3 gens.

My 1070 is about 20% faster than your 980. So you can go from the 1070 in the benchmarks if there's no 980 anymore and add 20% :)
Thnx alot for your advice mate!

Today I bought an rtx 2070. So glad I did. I now get a respectable 60fps and nice enough trackdetail. I think I m really gonna enjoy acc now! :thumbsup:

sell your 3x screens use the money to buy a high refresh rate 1 ms super wide 49". replace your gtx 980 with an Rtx 2070 or 2080 video card ..problem solved. I'm getting a consistent 75-85 fps @3440x1440 with my RTX 2070 ultra, everything set to highest settings with my dell 34' wide monitor. the looks and gameplay are stunning.

sell your 3x screens use the money to buy a high refresh rate 1 ms super wide 49". replace your gtx 980 with an Rtx 2070 or 2080 video card ..problem solved. I'm getting a consistent 75-85 fps @3440x1440 with my RTX 2070 ultra, everything set to highest settings with my dell 34' wide monitor. the looks and gameplay are stunning.

for ACC this is the way to go until triples get full green light. Single panel, high refresh rate and lowest input lag (gtg 1ms or there about).

I run 3 x 1920 x 1080 screens in all sims on medium to high settings with a GTX 1080 at 75hz. But a 2080 would be a better option. I have a 377k overclocked to 4.4ghz if thats useful to you.

I don't like that setup. With triple screen you have a better angle, which you need in simracing ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.8%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 377 39.5%