• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

US *Special* Multi Class @ Spa - Tue 27 Aug 2019

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by David DeGreef, Jul 17, 2019.

Added to Calendar: 27-08-19
  1. David DeGreef

David DeGreef
    R3E Racing Club Host US Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +644
    What I usually do is run practice with a near race fuel level to see fuel consumption and tire wear. At qualification I reduce the fuel to last the 10-15 minutes I want to run. I am generally a second quicker. I am asking @Alex Hodgkinson if the weight and behavior of the car is related to amount of fuel on board?
    If the answer is no...I truly am imagining things.:cautious:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Keith_G

Keith_G
    Premium

Ratings:
    +451
    Thanks, it will be good to know for sure:thumbsup:

3. ko41

ko41
    Premium

Ratings:
    +32
    I hear you there, that's why I went with the P2 class.

I lost a position on the start but got it back on lap 2 I think. Later after BP was off playing in the sand or something I had a 6 second lead over him that was shrinking each lap, then with a 3 second gap on BP I caught a GTR3 car heading into Eau Rouge and had to slow down until we hit Kemmel. After I cleared the GTR3 and moved left heading for Les Combe, BP startled the heck out of me as I forced him off the edge of the track as he blasted by me.
    The last 20 minutes of the race I was starting to lose the edge and started making more mistakes, spinning in Les Combes after over cooking it passing a slower car, almost spinning in La Source several times and braking too late and almost running off Chicane. Ended the race in 4th a minute and 10 seconds behind 3rd, and I think I only made one pass on track from my 7th starting position.
    My neck and shoulders were a little sore after the 90 minutes.

KO

• Beer Beer x 1
  4. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    As long as the class fits the track, it's all good. Not to long ago I saw an FR2 race at Laguna Sega posted and I was like, "no F'in way". That's a terrible combo.

The multiclass thing is rough though. Too many blue flag situations that could cause some guys to get upset at slower class cars.

5. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    Out of curiosity, what would make FR2 at Laguna Seca a poor combo choice? They race everything from minis to IndyCar there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. FeltHat

FeltHat
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,067
    it was bloody amazing to be honest (fr2 at laguna)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. sc4dr

sc4dr
    Premium

Ratings:
    +59
    I can say that running a light fuel load during quali never got me a faster lap than on any leaderboard. But On some cars more fuel makes it more stable. That’s what I have noticed

• Beer Beer x 1
  8. sc4dr

sc4dr
    Premium

Ratings:
    +59
    Sorry Steve O but I would love fr2 at Laguna. I’d settle for Indy tho!

• Haha Haha x 1
  9. 2112

Premium

Ratings:
    +117
    No worries at all. Really. We were racing and you did not try to do something stupid, you got on the grass and lost control. Hell, I know I bumped someone coming out of Le Source and going into Eau-Rouge on the first lap and if not outright put them into the wall made them scrape the wall. I also know I hit P3 from behind while we were both going into the Bus Stop.

Both times I did something stupid: The first time I did not even see the car beside me and squeezed him into the wall as I drifted right to get an angle on Eau-Rouge. The second time I was gaining on P3 and had the inside line, but not the position. I failed to account for loss of aero and slid right into him.

What you did was excusable. What I did was, as I stated before, stupid.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
    • Beer Beer x 1
  10. 2112

Premium

Ratings:
    +117
    In the league I currently race in our races are usually 90 minutes with the longer races (Le Mans, Spa and Daytona) being 2.4 hours long. We did Sebring last season and set it at 2 hours. 90 minutes is a sprint race to me.

• Beer Beer x 1
  11. 2112

Premium

Ratings:
    +117
    It was me that made that claim. Both last night and at RA I tried turning laps with 5 gallons instead of a full tank and was no faster, no matter how hard I tried. For me just pounding laps in practice, finding the quicker line and the best marks, worked best for me.

Oh, one other thing: I was able to gain a few tenths by watching Bock practice. He was using a lot more of the kerbs than I was in practice so I started following his line, especially the line out of Paul Frere. He was putting two tires on the green at the approach and was able to carry more speed through the apex. I tried it and took 2/10ths off my time. Used the same line through the race.

• Beer Beer x 1
  12. brc19

brc19
    Premium

Ratings:
    +26
    One driver for 2.4 hours? Wow, I'd have to wear a "piddle pack". :roflmao:

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    Try it. It's a constant gear shifting mess.

14. sc4dr

sc4dr
    Premium

Ratings:
    +59
    Hmm. Sounds like you know a lil somefin bout it

15. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    you would.

• Haha Haha x 1
  16. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    yeah i did some practice laps and said, "mmmm, don't think so".

17. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    I cut my teeth riding a Honda CR125 back long long ago and shifting constantly doesn't bother me. Then again I do no clutch and paddle shifts so I can see if your bangin a gear box and clutching would be a aerobic workout.

18. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    even with the paddles that's a workout.

19. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    <suggestion box> GTR4 @ Salzburgring </suggestion box>

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. sc4dr

sc4dr
    Premium

Ratings:
    +59
    Ooh that’s a good one. Maybe 2 20 min races?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.