RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course once he does I'm sure I'll be seeing a lot of his rear bumper if I'm even close enough to see it so I guess the money I paid to have a starting light bug planted in his computer has finally paid off:p.

Haha thanks Mike I needed that! Made me laugh out loud at work. Congrats again on the win. You earned that one Buddy.

Poor car choice and even poorer driver skills on my part. I am glad that this one is over. :poop:

Hopefully next race, I have the sense to pick a car I get along with.

That's too bad you feel that way. I was pleasantly surprised with how I did in the Camaro despite the maybe 5 scary moments. I've grown quite fond of it after this race actually.

That's too bad you feel that way. I was pleasantly surprised with how I did in the Camaro despite the maybe 5 scary moments. I've grown quite fond of it after this race actually.
Funny how that works isn't it? When I started doing club events it forced me to try combinations I never would have done on my own, thanks to @Ross Garland. Not prompting for anything, just observing how it has benefited me and hope it does for others. In a couple of weeks I plan on doing just that pushing that thing that goes REALLY??!!?? :ninja::cautious:, hope you will give it a go.

I sorta had fun. Apparently you can turn the start lights on and off? I don't see that option. Two weeks in a row I have no start lights.

Had a race long battle sort of with Powell. My bad Man, I watched the replay and I got a little anxious at the top of the mountain and nudged you from behind. In car it felt totally different.

So I'm eating my words about being consistent. Just goes to show that even with the fastest pace, it doesn't guarantee results. I guess I didn't do too bad for tumbling multiple times.... and spinning.... and boofing the start!

See you next week boys!
Not gonna blame you for my finish but...

Two weeks in a row I am behind you on the grid, get a good start and then end up either hitting you or the guy behind you!

All in all it was a fun race, again. I not only got caught up in Dan's issues (Dan, I will call out the start for you next week!), but got collected in a Turn one incident. Can't get mad about it as I know the driver was not trying to be an idiot, he just got caught out and there was enough of my own mistakes that negated time lost in turn one.

After starting 3rd I came out of T1 in last (I believe). I fought like hell to get to a respectable position all the while I ended up causing as much mayhem as what occurred in T1. Just ask Law, I know I screwed him and one other driver in the twisties up top (I entered at my usual speed without taking into account they would probably enter slower; I carry a lot of speed through there....). I was intimate with more than one wall and I think there is one wall up top that thinks we are now married.

Finished sixth after trying to rampage back. Not bad, not good, but still fun.

I am not taking anything more from these posts and comments on TS than perhaps disappointment in some of our own efforts. I do want to point out a few observations I had, as well as the comments from others to prevent drivers from being discouraged and quitting or not participating.

Let's remember that defending your position and blocking are two different things. If a faster car approaches you from no where and your are running by yourself, you should be prepared to get passed. I don't mean that you need to do much other than take your normal line and speed, but do not make a last ditch effort to close the door, or run down the middle of the track that wouldn't be considered a normal or proper line. In other words making your car 'wide'. It is the responsibility of the faster driver to get by, but also the less faster driver not to make it impossible.

In particular during practice, as I voiced my concerns last night out of a bit of surprise as to tactics taken to prevent drivers from passing.

First lap incidents, for the most part, can be avoided if we remember that during the course of the event mistakes will happen and positions lost with no contact, and opportunities will present themselves.

As Kung Fu was told 'Patience Grasshopper those that make less mistakes will finish ahead of those that do' or something like that.

Great fun, great race thank you for participating and hope to see you all this week at Road America

I made a mistake and posted the event to the wrong thread, it will be moved. In the meantime here is the link (as well as on the calendar)
https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...-america-tue-30-jul-2019.170578/#post-3002895

Funny how that works isn't it? When I started doing club events it forced me to try combinations I never would have done on my own, thanks to @Ross Garland. Not prompting for anything, just observing how it has benefited me and hope it does for others.
Yep, I'm certainly an advocate of people putting themselves outside their comfort zones and trying new things. In racing terms, it's what helps us develop and learn. It's what makes us become more rounded drivers that are able to adapt to a wide range of conditions. Sticking solely with what you're comfortable with limits not only your progress as a driver, but also your racing options.

As my guitar tutor says, "Don't practice what you're good at, practice what you're rubbish at. Otherwise you're not really learning very much."

:)

Sorry for hurting your race chances Greg. I thought you would be as equally frustrated as I was! I will do some public lobby racing this week to sort out why I’m not getting a start countdown.

On another note, like David said. I would appreciate anyone slower than myself not to go out of your way to keep me from passing. If someone comes up on me who’s faster I typically let them by when it’s safe, and then fall in. I’ve found it actually is faster that way. Otherwise the pack ends up catching us due to slower lines due to blocking. Just something to think about.

On another note, like David said. I would appreciate anyone slower than myself not to go out of your way to keep me from passing. If someone comes up on me who’s faster I typically let them by when it’s safe, and then fall in. I’ve found it actually is faster that way. Otherwise the pack ends up catching us due to slower lines due to blocking. Just something to think about.
At one point you were catching me down the back straight and I was moving side to side until you yelled out "pick a line". Didn't mean to scare you there, I was just messing around breaking the draft, I was definitely going to stick to one side once you got close enough.

I would appreciate anyone slower than myself not to go out of your way to keep me from passing. If someone comes up on me who’s faster I typically let them by when it’s safe, and then fall in. I’ve found it actually is faster that way. Otherwise the pack ends up catching us due to slower lines due to blocking. Just something to think about.

@sc4dr, I'm sorry mate, but I totally disagree with this. If you want to let faster drivers by then that's your personal choice, but nobody else is obligated to do so and you have no right to ask or expect them to.

Being "faster" does not grant anyone more right to the track than anybody else. Everybody is well within their rights to defend their position and try to prevent a faster driver from passing, as long as they stay within normal racing rules. It doesn't matter if they're holding you up or causing the pack to catch you. That's part of racing, and if you're unable to make the pass on someone fairly then that's just tough, I'm afraid.

The one and only exception to this is when the car ahead is a back marker. Even then it's still the responsibility of the passing driver to do so safely, without expecting them to dive off the track the instant they come up behind them.

@sc4dr, I'm sorry mate, but I totally disagree with this. If you want to let faster drivers by then that's your personal choice, but nobody else is obligated to do so and you have no right to ask or expect them to.

Being "faster" does not grant anyone more right to the track than anybody else. Everybody is well within their rights to defend their position and try to prevent a faster driver from passing, as long as they stay within normal racing rules. It doesn't matter if they're holding you up or causing the pack to catch you. That's part of racing, and if you're unable to make the pass on someone fairly then that's just tough, I'm afraid.

The one and only exception to this is when the car ahead is a back marker. Even then it's still the responsibility of the passing driver to do so safely, without expecting them to dive off the track the instant they come up behind them.
I think he was going for the idea that strategically it can be better to let someone go by rather than fighting and losing ground to the others. I totally agree with him there.

As my guitar tutor says, "Don't practice what you're good at, practice what you're rubbish at. Otherwise you're not really learning very much."

:)

I play and have taught. Guitar playing, like racing, is 'Muscle Memory'. You reproduce what you practice. Practice playing guitar fast while making mistakes over and over and you will do just that. Practice 1-3 hot laps then go off road or wreck and guess what?

Eh, I think you have me wrong. I’m talking about blocking. It’s frowned upon in all motor sports. If I have a line, and can pass safe without the other driver slowing down, that’s a safe legit pass. If you are the guy who blocks everyone you will get yourself kicked from most servers, and iracing where I do most of my multiplayer, you will have people reporting you constantly( not like that won’t happen anyway cause it does with cry baby’s).

But yea, I’m not asking for the driver to say”oh here comes Bock, I better move over”. Just don’t be a jerk and intentionally jam me up. It’s not sportsmanlike. Right???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%