• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

US *Special* Multi Class @ Road America - Tue 30 Jul 2019

Discussion in 'R3E Racing Club & Leagues' started by David DeGreef, Jul 6, 2019.

Added to Calendar: 30-07-19
  1. John Addison

John Addison
    Premium

Ratings:
    +145
    Yeh guys I'm aware of that from last time. And it was green ?? I'll go back and check but I know it was.

2. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    That was totally my fault. I went for the late break and lost my back end. If you tapped me, I didn't notice it. You deserve that win dude.

3. Mike Wyatt

Mike Wyatt
    Premium

Ratings:
    +772
    Well, that was more enjoyable than I thought it was going to be. I crashed so many times in practice during the week that I was considering withdrawing but decided to stick with it and I'm glad I did. I still went off-track several times in the race but I guess most people did so it all evened out.

Finished P2, about 11 seconds behind Joey (@TR_S) which was a big surprise because I not only had another drive-thru for speeding in the pits (more on that later) but my keyboard slid off my sideboard and fell down onto my legs and got in the way of my pedals. I fought while trying to drive and extract the keyboard, only to have it fall back down again later in the race:mad:.

With regards to the pit speeding, I didn't have time to process and post my video but I reviewed it quickly at 4 this morning and it clearly shows that I had it on as I entered pit lane but about halfway to my pit box it inexplicably shut off and thus the penalty. Don't know if I hit it a second time accidentally or what but that makes 2 out of the last 3 races that something has been amiss with my pit speed limiter. Don't know if it's biological (Alzheimers, senility, stupidity, etc.) or technological but I've either gotta get it fixed or avoid any race that has a pit stop.

Anyway, congrats to the 3 winners for well-earned victories. Won't be in next week's race as I avoid all open wheel cars so have fun, guys!

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  4. David DeGreef

David DeGreef
    R3E Racing Club Host US Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +644
    Didn't think you, @Mike Wyatt were going to enjoy this race, but you did. Just saying.;)

What button key are you binding to your rev limiter? I do mine so that It is no where near my normal hand driving position (a button near the center of the wheel) I put the lesser used buttons like lights, DRS etc near my thumbs so that if I do hit it it doesn't mess me up too bad.

5. stevem

stevem
    GearGrinder Premium

Ratings:
    +64
    We had a good duel going.:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mike Wyatt

Mike Wyatt
    Premium

Ratings:
    +772
    Yeah, Steve. I think we spent a good 50% or more of the race looking at each other's bumper. Good times, good racing:thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mike Wyatt

Mike Wyatt
    Premium

Ratings:
    +772
    After the first debacle two weeks ago I moved it to the other side of my wheel, away from my other pit-related buttons but it's still on the outside, right next to my left thumb. I've always needed it close to my paddles because as you know, you may have to downshift rapidly as you approach the pit entry but I may have to reconsider the placement. As you know, there's a lot going on as you decelerate and attempt to hit the entry point at just the right speed, but in this case, I know it was engaged so I got the first part done. Just don't know if I hit it again or what.

Watching Dave's video, I noticed that several others had pit speeding penalties too so I wonder if any had issues like me where it turned off while in the pits. I remember hearing several months back that there was an issue with pit penalties on certain tracks but I doubt that this is related. I'll post the pit portion of the video when I get home today just for $hits and giggles.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jivesauce

Jivesauce
    Premium

Ratings:
    +90
    I watched the streams of both this race and the one before as they were happening (thanks Dave!) and it looked like a lot of fun. The last lap at Bathurst last week was wildly entertaining as a spectator, if a bit of a disaster for several competitors :D

I thought I might enter this race but didn't have time to practice so I opted against it, but I did put in some practice with the P1 at Road America last night after watching the race. I'm really struggling for pace in R3E compared to Assetto Corsa and AMS and I don't know why, but it's frustrating me. Oh well, when I look at the leaderboard and see the people around me have 12+ days of play time and thousands of laps run compared to my 6 hours and 57 laps, half of which were spent trying to dial in the FFB, it tells me I'm being ridiculous and impatient and need to get a grip. I'm not sure I can join this coming week, but I'll get my confidence up to get in on one of these races in the next few weeks. Just don't tell the AC club I'm cheating on it; although I see a couple of you guys in here already :ninja::roflmao:

• Like Like x 2
  9. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    It'll be our secret, but pace shouldn't keep you from participating if you are looking to have a good time. We have had a nice mix of experience and I see good progress in those that initially lacked seat time in R3E, we have a great group and welcome you when you can @Jivesauce

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  10. Jivesauce

Jivesauce
    Premium

Ratings:
    +90
    Thanks David, I know everyone would welcome me no matter what, it just frustrates me that I can't produce the same results in this sim compared to the others. I'm sure it will come with practice and, if it doesn't, well it's not as if my career depends on it, right? :laugh:

• Beer Beer x 2
  11. Kenny Paton

Kenny Paton
    Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +5,522
    Nice stream as usual davew045
    Good racing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. sc4dr

sc4dr
    Premium

Ratings:
    +59
    Hey Mike, I had this issue in race 1. I had the limiter on and still got a drive thru. This was near the end of pit lane, so it wasn't from carrying speed into pits. I also have my limiter on a knob which would be virtually impossible to hit by mistake. I think my problem was the transmission "oscillation" model being pretty violent in some cars when on a limiter. Just enough to pop a mph over. That's my theory at least. So now I'm really light on the throttle when using limiter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike Wyatt

Mike Wyatt
    Premium

Ratings:
    +772
    Yeah, I've heard of that happening and I guess it may have been what happened here b/c it was definitely not from carrying too much speed. In your case did it cancel your limiter too b/c mine did??

Anyway, I'm going to have my welder make a bracket that will stand out several inches from the wheel where I'll mount a small keypad that will be only for the limiter and that will assure that I'm not accidentally bumping it.
    Here's my video:

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  14. David DeGreef

David DeGreef

Ratings:
    +644
    The last couple of weeks we have had winners of the FReD graciously ask to regift to anyone as they have all content. This just goes to the character of our group and the RD community, you guys are awesome. I would suggest that if you like to regift why not select someone you had a good battle with and include them in the conversation.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    I knew you might make a move and was trying to leave a lane. As you know, it's all happening quick. I don't know that you slid or when we touched that it triggered your slide. It was barely and then oddly, it looked almost slow motion as I watched you slide. It actually took until the next straight after turn 3 to fully process and realize that you were lead car and I was back in P1. I had to double check. :) I had played a strategy and it was happening. I don't play RRE as much as rF2. I'm usually a mid pack driver. I don't see too many wins. It certainly was a high. As most of us, I've experienced many lows in sim racing as well. It certainly covers all aspects of simulation sometimes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    Darth Vader in my backseat. LOL!

How do you make the video with all the overlays? The other video posted here also has overlay like a broadcast. I'm curious about that too.

17. TR_S

TR_S
    Premium

Ratings:
    +28
    It all didn't seem to affect you. You and Steve had some great dicing. You had a good race with all of that. Good thing for everyone maybe. :)

I ran a 30 lap, full tank strategy. I took on enough fuel to finish which was light, and with fresh tires I could push. I ran as hard as possible prior to pitting and built up a gap hoping to be able to pit and maybe make it out. I ran some 2:06s in practice but couldn't seem to find that in the race. That may have helped if I could have. Didn't quite happen so by the time I was just exiting the pit lane Steve went by. When I came around turn 1, I couldn't quite believe it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mike Wyatt

Mike Wyatt
    Premium

Ratings:
    +772
    I'm not sure exactly what you're referring to b/c I don't add any overlays to my videos. All the data you see displayed on the screen is what I see in the race and all of that is provided by Raceroom. My Nvidia graphics card has a record feature and I have a key bound to it and just hit that to record it.

Specifically, the engine display in the lower right hand corner is the standard display for the car of course and on the left side is a track map which is activated in the "options" section. Everything else is part of the heads-up feature that was released by Raceroom back in April I believe. Here's a video showing how to download and edit it all.

19. davew045

davew045
    Premium

Ratings:
    +451
  20. theColeHardTruth

theColeHardTruth
    Premium

Ratings:
    +6
    That was a great race! I really enjoy the multiclass format, and I hope we can find a way to do some more of it (maybe even with GT4? )

Any case, I got the whole thing recorded, but it's pretty boring (I was on my own for a large portion of the race, oh well). I put together a few clips where actual stuff happened though, and they can be found here!

• Like Like x 4
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.