rF2 SPECIAL EVENT: 90 Minutes of Paul Ricard - Fri 31Aug18

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
.Very frustrating race, or it would have been if I didn't enjoy driving these cars around enough in general to make up for it.

My Silverstone setup had been so good that I just modified it for tonight. Big mistake. Something about it was causing it to be veeeeeeery draggy, even on the low drag setting and low downforce to the point I was giving away 10mph in qualifying to the top 4 and a little less in the race. Could have been a much more interesting race if I wasn't LMP3 ENGINE, LMP3 ENGINE AARRGGHHH, although I would have ballsed up the strategy compared to Luka and Shawn anyway as I wasn't even attempting to fuel save, thinking it was impossible to one stop.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I flat spotted a tyre in the first stint and it refused to go away. A few bolts on my rig will need tightening tomorrow morning, that is once I've picked all my teeth up off the floor.

The first half of my race was great, some tight wheel to wheel action, I was running mediums and a full tank and managed to hold up a nice Simon train behind me, No major mistakes but Sanchez was in my pit box which meant I just had to sit there for 15 seconds or so. I had all the post processing on and the track and lighting looked stunning, but my PC had a brain fart for about 2 seconds which caused me to spin.

The first half of my race was great, some tight wheel to wheel action, I was running mediums and a full tank and managed to hold up a nice Simon train behind me, No major mistakes but Sanchez was in my pit box which meant I just had to sit there for 15 seconds or so. I had all the post processing on and the track and lighting looked stunning, but my PC had a brain fart for about 2 seconds which caused me to spin.
Could have been worse, I had to sit behind someone taking up my pitbox for TWENTY MINUTES in a VLMS race :confused:

Another really enjoyable event! I just love these multi class endurance events, putting in lap after lap while the prototypes is zooming around my head. Looking forward to the next special event already :)

@jego - Massive apologies for running into the back of you. I'm so sorry I spoilt your race. The only thing I can say is the difference in speed thru that section completely caught me out. Bad error on my part. I intended to follow and overtake on the straight. I started to slow to wait for you around the corner but then thought it was pointless as I'd just overtake you again straight away - and maybe it was safer not to be in the GTE pack. In hindsight the wrong decision as the right thing would've been to wait and let you pass. So my bad x2. Using VR I has no idea who I hit - I just checked the replay. I'm glad you were able to recover and have a good race after that. Apologies again :redface:.

@alexSchmurtz sorry, I'm watcing back the race on replay and I don't even understand why was I so slow at that particular corner... Maybe I slightly locked the front and missed the apex and surprised you with my excessive slowness.

Then I have to say that I am and we had fun, I apologize in this race for the two incidents .. the first as happened at the last race at Sebring, all disappeared and then reappear causing an accident with Sanchez, I still do not understand why the first two laps must happen this thing, and the second with Harris, but I think it's his fault, but anyway I think a race incident ... Bella the beautiful track the MOD ... overall a nice event. .Unfortunately I also wanted to do next Friday but I will not be there ... NEXT
Post the videos, thanks

In case anybody's interested in a more of a backmarker race, here's the VOD of my stream:

Race starts at around 33:50 mark.

I did enjoy the race a lot for sure, except maybe I would've preferred to finish with more than 0.06 litres of fuel, that was quite tense. I did go for a two stop strategy from the beginning, but apparently could've added a bit of surplus fuel into my calculations ;) No idea how people were doing one stop with the LMP2's, though - even with the leanest fuel mixture, I was about 10 or so litres short for 90 minutes in my calculations.

I apologize for any issues I might've caused in traffic - I was somewhat more aggressive with the overtaking than I usually am at the start, though I was still trying to not do anything too dumb (if it didn't work out exactly as planned, know it absolutely wasn't intentional), and after some of the GTE drivers kept complaining about the P2's being too aggressive, I tried to dial it back as well (though I'm not sure if it was even aimed at me), but that honestly didn't seem to work all that well either, since even if I was patiently waiting for the next straight, some of the GTE's were obviously quite nervous about having a P2 follow them closely (which I completely understand) and probably felt pressured into making mistakes and/or getting off their line, which didn't always work all that well. It was obviously also somewhat frustrating to patiently wait for a safe opportunity to lap a GTE, only for a LMP2 to go and overtake us both. But that's part of multiclass racing, I guess.

But I tried my best, and again, apologies if it at times didn't work out all that well. Still, no serious incident I believe, just some hairy situations here and there.

I also remember someone in an LMP2 car bumping me from behind at one point and apologizing, though I don't know who that was. I just want to say that I'm sorry for that as well, I had traffic in front of me and I wasn't even aware there was a car behind me :confused:

Thanks for the race!

The Stop-Go penalty at the start really messed my race up. I heard Daiman say we had until the end of race to serve it - but Crew Chief told me I had to serve within 3 laps. I decided to be safe than sorry and served it on lap 3 - which meant i re-joined behind the GTE cars. Ran into the back of John and was overly-cautious after that. Lost so much time overtaking the GTE pack cleanly as we were on the same lap. Near the end, I lapped a GTE car and put it into neutral by mistake which spun the car and I cut part of the last corner - Stop-Go penalty! I finished the race before serving so got penalised 2 positions. I'm not having much luck in the LMP2 :(.

Anyhow, regardless of my (mis)adventures - big thanks @Daiman Patel for organising the event and congrats to @Luka Berk, @Shawn Jacobs, @Pauli Ahonen - and to everyone who took part :thumbsup:. Looking forward to the next one.

Very good event again, thanks guys. Generally most P2s were cool and had a few good chases.
See you all at the next one.

Sorry for the contact in lap 26 (seen here). I had some sort of lag. I had that P2 car appear in front of me suddenly. It threw me of real bad and I think I locked up because of that, it all happened fast and there was some sort of delay or lag on my end. It's always scary and confusing for the brain when these things happen in VR.

Anyways, regarding my top speed... yea I was running Wing 1 I think... I figured I'd give it a try... must have been very annoying for some people who could not get past me. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I also remember someone in an LMP2 car bumping me from behind at one point and apologizing, though I don't know who that was. I just want to say that I'm sorry for that as well, I had traffic in front of me and I wasn't even aware there was a car behind me :confused:
That was me. I bumped the back of you twice during the race and fell back. You braked much earlier than I expected. NP tho', all good.

I like Paul Ricard but it turned out there are too many corners in where the fastest line leads to losing multiple positions. I need to regain my racing skills somehow.

My Silverstone setup had been so good that I just modified it for tonight. Big mistake. Something about it was causing it to be veeeeeeery draggy, even on the low drag setting and low downforce to the point I was giving away 10mph in qualifying to the top 4 and a little less in the race.
Must be the toe settings?

bad toe settings
sad_toe_by_le_bitch.jpg

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 243 10.7%
  • < 4 years