RaceRoom Racing Experience Racing Club event
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks David. Thanks everyone. More fun than I expected as I couldn't seem to find consistency in any practice I did. I tried 5-6 GTR3s and 3 P2s before sticking with the DMD. Sometimes luck plays out.

If anyone wants to try them or can use them elsewhere;

Attachments

• DMD P21 QUAL V4.0.svm
    6.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DMD P21 RACE V4.0.svm
    6.5 KB · Views: 62
Grrrr! I qualified where I thought I would but I felt my set-up was very stable and I would be able to run consistent laps. It was and I did.

I lost a lot of places on the start but being a 90 minute race I did not mind. I knew as long as I was consistent I could make up places.

I got up to third after passing the car ahead of me and within a lap Coak and I met in a most unruly fashion. I was passed but gathered back up and chased down P3 again.

While I was doing that I saw that Solomon and Bock were losing a lot of time to me. At one point Bock was +30 seconds ahead and Solomon +20 seconds. By the time Bock ducked into the pits he was 20 seconds ahead and Solomon was only +8, I could see him at the end of the front straight, Kemmel, Pouhon, Campus, Blainchemont and the Bus Stop.

I knew if I remaind consistent I had a very good chance at P2 and possible hunt down Bock as his tires seemed to be going away much faster than mine were later in the first stint. I pitted four laps after Bock to give me four more laps on good tires in which I could return to the hunt.

Then the damn pit stop. It refused to highlight what I needed. I spent 30 seconds in the pits before I knew I was not going to get a stop in, came back out and ran another lap and went back in. No joy...

I had fun but it was frustrating that I was running my race, very few track limit violations, and one unfortunate incident with Coak (that really had very little effect overall), but could not close the deal.

The pits stops can be all the difference to be sure. Setting up a practice session and do nothing but a lap and pit stop, a lap and pit stop until I got the muscle memory down. Now I rarely make a mistake..that is until last night. I overshot my pit by a few feet, cut off the engine for fuel and then realized I was too far to get service. Restart the car, back up and repeat.:O_o: Yikes, any chance of gaining a few seconds by not taking tires went right out the window.
BTW @Mike Wyatt what was your pit strategy?
@emarchena nice battle early on, your pace is much improved of late. Well Done:thumbsup:

Although I think Spa is a more physical track than say Road America, I noticed we had a few more no shows and DNF's. I would like for your feedback as to the *Special* Multiclass 90 minute races as to understand what, if anything, I can do to ensure we can get larger, more diversified grids.
I realize last minute real life comes in, and I am not busting anyone's stones. Just want to bring the best variety. Thanks.

90 minutes too long?
Three classes too many?
Cars, Track or combo just wasn't my thing?

Greg, I was watching your times, and I knew I didn’t have much room for mistake. My tires did go quick, and ended up in the wall before the back straight. Luckily I didn’t get stuck in the sand too bad. Other than that no incidents thankfully. Solomon was keeping pace for the most part. I was driving very cautious tho, and would pore on the coals when times were going backwards. I just wish more of you guys didn’t experience problems, and or weren’t able to join the race.

Although I think Spa is a more physical track than say Road America, I noticed we had a few more no shows and DNF's. I would like for your feedback as to the *Special* Multiclass 90 minute races as to understand what, if anything, I can do to ensure we can get larger, more diversified grids.
I realize last minute real life comes in, and I am not busting anyone's stones. Just want to bring the best variety. Thanks.

90 minutes too long?
Three classes too many?
Cars, Track or combo just wasn't my thing?
I feel like it was all circumstantial. Could be wrong though. I personally love the 90 min races!

The pits stops can be all the difference to be sure. Setting up a practice session and do nothing but a lap and pit stop, a lap and pit stop until I got the muscle memory down. Now I rarely make a mistake..that is until last night. I overshot my pit by a few feet, cut off the engine for fuel and then realized I was too far to get service. Restart the car, back up and repeat.:O_o: Yikes, any chance of gaining a few seconds by not taking tires went right out the window.
BTW @Mike Wyatt what was your pit strategy?
@emarchena nice battle early on, your pace is much improved of late. Well Done:thumbsup:
After several practice runs with and without pit stops I made the decision to just add a splash of fuel and front tires only. It was a logical decision based on the fact that in these practice runs my fronts were at about 60% at the 45 minute point and the rears were still in the low 80% range but it was a BIG mistake. The balance of the car was way off and I had major problems trying to control it in all but the easiest corners and it caused a few spins and some close calls throughout the second half of the race. I had to drop my speed by 1 to 2 seconds per lap just to try to keep it on the track so the 17 seconds I saved by not changing the rears, cost me probably twice that in lap times plus the additional time spent doing 360s and slamming into walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 331 28.1%