Spa-Francorchamps to iRacing

SPA is on the way to iRacing.
spa.jpg
When

SOON

Thread in iracing forum http://members.iracing.com/iforum/thread.jspa?threadID=91725&tstart=0

Spa *and* Zolder? Holy crap! They REALLY weren't lying when they said they're focusing on getting the Euro tracks.

I swear, if they get Nordschleife, Monaco and Monza, it's a WRAP for SimBin and ISI. May as well close shop.

Not sure about Monza, but Nordschleife being long I guess it would be a nightmare to laser scan and model (I guess they could do 2 other tracks at least in the same time, which most probably would be better for the cash flow, and I am saying this without any criticism).
Monaco is only a temporary track, I think it would be a challange to do the scanning while it is open for public traffic and even more when it is a race week end.

Not sure about Monza, but Nordschleife being long I guess it would be a nightmare to laser scan and model (I guess they could do 2 other tracks at least in the same time, which most probably would be better for the cash flow, and I am saying this without any criticism).
Monaco is only a temporary track, I think it would be a challange to do the scanning while it is open for public traffic and even more when it is a race week end.

The Ring is 4 times as long as Spa. They could do it, but it would take quite a while. Even if they get past the licensing, it might cannibalize some of the daily revenue they get to shut down the track. Since, it might require 3 weeks of "no rain" open track time, it would be a logistics struggle. They could shut down parts of the track only, but again, that's more logistics problems.

So, the issues are...

1. Licensing.
2. 3 weeks of "no rain" days to scan.
3. Lost revenue added to cost for shutting down the track.

Not sure if the Ring charges every day, or only certain days etc, but likely some of the scan days would cost them lost revenue at $20 a car or so. If they allow a car every 10 seconds, that's 6 cars a minute or 360 cars an hour at $20... That might be $6,600 per hour of $50,000 every 8 hours. Over 3 weeks, that would be a lot of lost revenue added to the cost even if they only charged on weekends.

It could be done, but working around the "pay to drive" days, local traffic, rain days etc and it's a logistics nightmare compared to many other tracks.

Spa will take at least a week to scan. The Ring is 3 times as long... It's not like they don't want to scan it.

1. Licensing.

Only thing I can say: So? :) That it cost a bit they can make up with extra revenues as many people will try the game. Would be deeply dissappointed if the ring would not make it into the sim.

So, the issues are...

1. Licensing.

There is actually reply to the request from some iRacing folks on their forums. It is down to the effort required for it. For the moment the prefer to put their forces into other tracks, this project would bind their resources to long.

Only thing I can say: So? :) That it cost a bit they can make up with extra revenues as many people will try the game. Would be deeply dissappointed if the ring would not make it into the sim.

iRacing might agree with you, but it's not always that simple. Licensing, timing, logistics. All of these items are factors and rarely are we privy to the behind the scenes negotiations.

Jack B I am not a member of Facebook. Care to spill the beans here please.

iRacing has trully impressed me in the past few days having re joined back for atleast another 3 months. I could see myself using iRacing and nothing else. Previously I was shocked at the thought of pay monthly sub for racing games. I am honestly contemplating the 2 year sub offer and some cars n tracks [insert shock sign here].

So far I havent spent any kaching on tracks or cars. Skip barber is on my wishlist. Now with Spa coming to iRacing I am completely and utterly sold.

Jack B I am not a member of Facebook. Care to spill the beans here please.

iRacing has trully impressed me in the past few days having re joined back for atleast another 3 months. I could see myself using iRacing and nothing else. Previously I was shocked at the thought of pay monthly sub for racing games. I am honestly contemplating the 2 year sub offer and some cars n tracks. So far I havent spent any kaching on tracks or cars. Skip barber is on my wishlist. Now with Spa coming to iRacing I am completely and utterly sold.

Abdul, I forgot some aren't Facebook members. The iRacing Facebook page is very active. Lot's of interesting posts. You could join Facebook just for that one page.

The track is Zolder. It's very close to Spa, so they coordinated the trip for the scanning team to hit both tracks back to back. :)

You resubscribed just in time for next week's update. Should be a good one. Lot's of new stuff including the new transmission model and new aero model, spectator mode etc.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 78 7.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 122 10.9%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 163 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 308 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 443 39.6%