Sounds From YouTube Videos

I slaughtered a clutch making some Jag sounds once. Since the engine sounded different under load than it did in free-revving, I held the car still on the brakes, and loaded the engine using the clutch, at about 6 different RPMs. There was a lot of smoke and not much clutch plate left by the end.

I can make my sounds samples eaily enough from my own recordings, but taking them from YouTube requires some knowledge about using a computer, which I have very little of.

One thing I can add is you should use Audacity to time the sound files accurately so you can get the exact rpm. 60 seconds divided by the length of the file gives you the multiplier, then you just have to guess how many revolutions are in the file (my samples tend to be around 4 to 6 revolutions, you can visually count the peaks and assume those to be cylinder firings which happen 2-6 times per revolution depending on the engine). This speeds up adding the sounds a lot.

Wrestling SUPER into giving you usable audio files is tricky, other than that it's pretty simple. Most Youtube videos using non-free formats (MS/Apple) which Audacity legally can't open, so SUPER needs to be set to transcode into a .wav.

A good way to get sounds generally would be to use a dyno, but these days you can find a hub dyno (rather than roller dyno)

These also have retarders so you can hold specific rpm's (with no slip ratio from tyres, so very accurate), and hold at varying engine loads too!

I'm not sure if they can actually drive the wheels themselves to give overrun noises, but these are likely quite similar to free-revving samples (ie, very small throttle openings)

Of course, the issue will still be other noises present, say the fans in the dyno booth etc, but if you get a sample of the ambient noises in there with the car not running, then that should give you a good base for tidying the sound later (say noise reduction from reference sample in SoundBooth for example)

I will *try* do this with my Z4 at some stage, as they have a dyno like this 5 miles from where I work, and on my way to work, so it's handy. Just £50 for a few dyno runs, so I'd need to probably pay maybe £70 to do 1000rpm full/light load intervals to 6500rpm.
Should give the best results for Racer though... inside and outside specific samples :D

Dave

• Tiberius

IMHO, the audio on Youtube vids is usually so compressed and usually recorded with low quality internal camera/phone mics, it's near impossible to get 'good' sounds from it.

The best two sources I've found for engine samples are engine music and the free sounds project, some really nice recordings just to listen to on both of those but very little that you can actually get usable samples from.

I did do a speed run with a mic a few months back, quiet stretch of dual carriageway at 2am, a couple of full throttle runs from rolling start up to 80mph or so, one try with the mic in the passenger footwell which didn't get the sound I wanted, another run with the mic hooked under the bonnet. That was fine at low revs but above 3000rpm the sound levels were too high for the mic and it was just wind howl and a mix of crackling and distortion. I did get an idle sound from it but that's not much good for the rest of the rev range..

The biggest enemies are road and wind noise, reverb is a bugger too if you try recording in an enclosed space such as a garage or indoor parking lot. Also I really need a better mic...something which can handle 120dB of heavy machine noise and live to tell the tale :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 299 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 207 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 200 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 150 7.7%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 265 13.6%