Sound in Assetto Corsa

By now I think we have all seen and heard the latest videos with the Zonda R and the Lotus 49. The videos were captured off screen but can still tell that the interior sounds are very good so far, downshifts especially. External sounds were placeholders according to sound designer

I would like to know more about the sound and what we can expect. Will we see (hear) reverb, backfires, pops, gear wobbles, bangs, environmental effects and what not? So far the sound (judging from off screen video) is already very good, can not tell if reverb is in or not, but please discuss sounds in this thread as I think sounds are a VERY important aspect of any sim/game. This often gets overlooked.

Just my opinion but I could care less how any car in any game/sim sounds in replay. For me replays are only good for figuring out what happened in a wreck.

IMO people should be looking forward to AC because of the physics and anything else that is as good or better than the other titles that are either out or coming soon is just a bonus.

It just amazes me that with as bad as iracings physics are that the supposedly most hardcore simmers in the world get so excited about replay sounds, but this is probably not the right place to go off on that tangent.

yeah anyway, as a massive V8 Supercar fan I can only go by the sounds I get through the TV. The iRacing cars sound close but not exactly right IMO, but fair enough I've enver seen them in real life so they will undoubtedly sound different than what I'm used too.
If AC can match iRacing though I'd be happy, 5.1 positional surround sound as well so certain effects are coming from certain speakers is a MUST especially in this day & age of computer games.

Thats where RF2 fails badly, the sounds and lack of proper surround support are poor, they get that right then its a whole extra immersion feeling when racing.
I think the best sounds i´ve heard is GTR3 or maybe it was raceroom.

(exterior sounds) A hillclimb BMW running around sounded phenomenal.

What´s missing in iRacing and other games is reverberations and other stuff.

Just my opinion but I could care less how any car in any game/sim sounds in replay. For me replays are only good for figuring out what happened in a wreck.

IMO people should be looking forward to AC because of the physics and anything else that is as good or better than the other titles that are either out or coming soon is just a bonus.

It just amazes me that with as bad as iracings physics are that the supposedly most hardcore simmers in the world get so excited about replay sounds, but this is probably not the right place to go off on that tangent.

Actually I never really liked iRacing which is why I haven't renewed in a very long time. What we're talking about here is the sound they have achieved. While it is in a replay, I want that same level of quality in both in-car and replays but obviously more importantly in-car. We are just hoping AC can achieve a very good sound and from what I have heard from off screen videos, it's looking very promising.

RaceRoom Racing Experience has amazing sounds aswell but some cars sound better in-car while others sound better externally such as the Judd V8 hillclimb car. It sounds phenomenal from the outside, but not that great from the inside.

We are all patiently waiting for AC, in my opinion it will be the best of them all and I will most likely find myself playing AC the most because of its physics, graphics, and choice of cars like road cars instead of just racing machinery.

For me, sound is VERY important. It comes second after physics. I would prefer a sim to have amazing sound and physics but average graphics rather than amazing graphics over sound. It completely changes the whole experience of the sim/game. For example, I have not been enjoying playing GT5 because I hate the sound. It's very poor. Everybody always underestimates what sound actually does to the experience

a sound teaser would be nice... are we going to have a sound for engine starter? will there be a engine starter and ignition or the car will be launched in the pits with the engine started?
If its anything like nKP, we will be able to start/stop the engines ourself, as well as stall of course.

Does anybody know if AC will feature a "dynamic drivetrain"?
I think that recent update to Iracing takes the sound/immersion to a whole new level.

This video posted by Hampus above, just wouldn't be the same without the constant wobbleing of the screaming engine

Does anybody know if AC will feature a "dynamic drivetrain"?
I think that recent update to Iracing takes the sound/immersion to a whole new level.

This video posted by Hampus above, just wouldn't be the same without the constant wobbleing of the screaming engine
Right, and there's more to it than just free-play at work, you can actually get a sense that there is some torsional "Flex" in the drive-train.

I for one love watching replays after a good race. It was one reason I enjoyed GT5. After getting worked up and heated after a long fast race, I like watching what I did, and how it looks from the outside, and although GT5's physics and sounds weren't up to PC standards, the sound reverb definitely justified the view for me.

I hated GT5 car sounds but one thing they did right was make the sound CARRY across a distance. Something no PC sim I've ever seen has done yet (aside from the new iRacing updates I suppose, and the raceroom teaser)

I grow more and more tired of rfactor 1 & 2, SIMBIN (older games) and many others because of this. Sure, physics are the priority of it all, but it's very boring hearing a car drive by and 5 ft later, there is total silence. I often still get giddy watching a good mod on rfactor 1 simply because it really looks the part of reality.
No track in the real world aside from the largest would be like that. It's noisy, and awesome sounding overall.

In the year 2013, you'd think we'd move past the PS2 quality sounds taht we have today.
It seems in this era, physics already seem to be pretty current with the new sims coming out.
That's not to say the new Raceroom experience hasn't impressed me, nor the iRacing update (only seen the vids, I don't have an account)

it´s great because it´s not just sound but physics involved so you can actually feel it as well.
Great for immersion and realism i guess.

Well said, I think some people underestimate how much a good physics and sound combo can help immerse you. Good tyre sounds can actually make you faster around the track. For me mainly, I do want to forget I'm just driving a bunch of pixels and physics numbers around a virtual track, there should be more to it than that, and good sound design goes a long way toward that.

Personally the worse the sounds are in a game, the less I want to put in laps to be honest. I can safely say the opposite is also true.

Well said, I think some people underestimate how much a good physics and sound combo can help immerse you. Good tyre sounds can actually make you faster around the track. For me mainly, I do want to forget I'm just driving a bunch of pixels and physics numbers around a virtual track, there should be more to it than that, and good sound design goes a long way toward that.

Personally the worse the sounds are in a game, the less I want to put in laps to be honest. I can safely say the opposite is also true.

This sums up one of the downfalls of rf2, for me

I think/hope all the basic sounds like engine ..pops..gearwhining etc... are more or less like that... if you remember the old gamescon videos.. that already sounded quite close to that...
(ok you can't realy judge the sound by those videos... but you could hear some details you hear in this video too)

but the thing what makes this sound so amazing alive in the video is indeed all the reverbereation and such stuff... when you hear the shattered defuse delays from the trees... or blurring reverb from the guardrails.... how the "dry/wet" ratio turns when the car drive further away and so on...

but the thing what makes this sound so amazing alive in the video is indeed all the reverbereation and such stuff... when you hear the shattered defuse delays from the trees... or blurring reverb from the guardrails.... how the "dry/wet" ratio turns when the car drive further away and so on...

Exactly, and I've never seen anyone in the business pop-up and say if replicating these effects in-game is even possible, never mind do-able. I fully expect that recreating these kind of effects in Assetto Corsa is exactly what Luca Sodano aspires to do, but whether it's an impossible dream or not is the question I'd like answered firstly...

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 107 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 140 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 202 14.9%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 384 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 521 38.3%