Sound card(s) for SimVibe

I came across something last week when I was struggling with getting my mic working in teamspeak and getting some help over at the R3E club thread.

I have realized that I do not require the use of a second sound card for SimVibe in Extension Mode anymore. Now I'm simply using my headphones as a second sound card for audio and my onboard sound card for SimVibe; and my mic is working again.
2017-05-20 11_04_28-Sound.png 2017-05-20 11_06_02-Sim Control Center.png

I was using a cheap usb sound card for audio (3.5mm jack from my headphones) and my onboard sound card for SimVibe before.
2017-05-20 11_09_14-Sound.png
With the addition of the usb sound card, I had to remove the usb cable for my headphones from my pc because I had no more available usb ports. I ended up plugging it into a old phone charger for a quick solution. This setup disabled my mic and other functions on the mini amp for my headphones. I just recently got into SimVibe a couple month's ago and was too excited to setup the sound card(s) situation correctly.
I did ask and look around, if I need a second sound card for SimVibe but "what if" my headphones already has its own usb and 3.5mm jack. All answers pointed to another sound card. But that's not the case here because my headphones is the second sound card via usb and 3.5mm jack. The little mini amp has some kool features and works independently when connected to my pc. I've maxed out all volume in Windows and control audio and voice volume with the headphones mini amp and my base shakers with their amp and both are in arms reach.

Man I I should have tested this out when I was first setting up SimVibe! I should have left my headphones the way they were; connect and setup SimVibe and see what happens! I probably would I have return the usb sound card adapter. Well, you live and you learn, I've learned most certainly!

My headphones
20170519_162722-1-1.jpg 20170519_162657-1-1.jpg connected to pc via usb and 3.5mm jack

The usb adapter I was using and don't need anymore.
20170519_162731-1.jpg 2017-05-20 11_09_14-Sound.png the usb adapter as default audio

This was funny! Also what made me yank out the usb sound card. I first connected my headphones to the usb sound card thinking I still needed a second sound card for SimVibe to work. Found myself looking at three sound card/devices???
2017-05-20 11_09_58-Sound.png

So if you are knew to SimVibe and you are like me with a 3.5mm jack w/usb cable headphones, then I don't think you need a second sound card. By all means test it for yourself though if you can.

Last edited:
What might have confused you in the beginning is that you probably hadn't realized or said to people that you asked , that your headset has a sound card on it's own. Any sound card usb or not is a sound card.Period. So , if you want to only use headphones you are ok with your headphone's sound card for your audio.

Upvote 0
Yea I should have known that my headphones are already equipped with a sound card. This just happended to be an area where I was a knob at. For SimVibe it's recommended to install another pci/pci-e sound card or buy a cheap usb sound card for audio. Don't think usb headphones like mine were also recommended. This is where I got confused into thinking I need another sound card for SimVibe, and thought my headphones wouldn't work.

Upvote 0
Your headphobes usb card might not have been recommended as a Simvibe used sound card, but sound is another thing, completely irrelevant.
I have found all cards that I have tested at times to work perfectly, usb, new, old, pci, pci-e, everything.

Upvote 0
I know, I was just a bit confused about the sound card setup. I've acknowledge that and have learned from it.
I was just thinking if SimVibe should also recommend headphones with a usb sound card. Even in ISR TV's setup video review of SimVibe, they only recommend a cheapo usb sound card if you are too nervous to open your pc to install another sound card. Nothing mentioned about using headphones instead. But I can still make use of the usb sound card I have for the rare occasion I want to use my external speakers.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back