Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

And, something else, does anyone know why GTR2 seems to be more popular these days than Race 07?
Do people prefer GT racing? For me it is a mystery, so please explain :O_o: :roflmao:
I play both, P&G mod for GTR2 plus now only vanilla cars and 2005 mod.
I like the fact that you can save mid race since I can no longer race for long spells.
Race 07 is my goto for STCC and super tourers, thanks to your good self.
Judging by the racing game servers yes GT cars are what most people seem to want at present, and of course GTR2 has achieved almost mythic status in the community.
If I had to choose between them I'd have to plump for Race 07. I have all the modern sims but I still really enjoy firing it up.

Last edited:
And, something else, does anyone know why GTR2 seems to be more popular these days than Race 07?
Do people prefer GT racing? For me it is a mystery, so please explain :O_o: :roflmao:
Well, GTR2 has some features that other games do not have and that still make it very enjoyable:
  • solid and pretty robust base (the "rFactor" engine, or for those familiar it's the GMotor2 or sometimes ISImotor engine)
  • those that modded for rFactor actually had a pretty easy live when they switched to GTR2
  • day-night transition (critical for 24h racing, and GTR2 did a very good job back in the day)
  • weather simulation
  • animated pit-crew (simple, but still gives the last kick of realism)
  • safety-car simulation (well, at least it works somehow)
  • advanced vehicle setup options
  • saving a racing whenever you want
  • multi-class racing
  • pretty well acting AI
  • good clean UI (and modable if you like)
Race07 has the same engine, but Simbin focussed very much on the touring car racing aspect. Which wasn't the complete wrong decision, if you ask me. But still, that makes both completely different games and each of them has their advantages. For me it's a must to have both installed, even after so many years :D

Anyway, I think Mr. @Paul Jeffrey 's video is the best to get what makes GTR2 so special. You can watch it here.

EDIT: I should have added that the biggest negative part of Race07 was and still is its UI.

Last edited:
What is it that you don't like about it? The looks, or how it works?

I agree pitstops are better in Gtr2 obviously. Day/night would also be cool, but I don't race these long races myself, so it is not important for me personaly.

But I do prefer Race07 graphics, handling and cars. Always prefered touring cars, probably because it was possible to watch BTCC and STCC here in the late 90's when I was growing up. GT racing has never been a big thing here, and not available on the regular tv. Have tried to watch some GT racing lately, but the races are often too long for me:sleep:
Always find myself start doing something else after a while.

I kind of got used to the UI but even with the UI Mods it is still a lot of clicks to do what you want to do.

Reason #1 I prefer Gtr2 are the lack of time or rather the ability to set what time you want to drive from the menu.
Feels such a stupid omission not having headlights too when track lights works.
Apart from that I enjoy race 07 very much.

Status update:

* Test track from Toca2. I need to add the track to GTR2 to make the .hat file.
Made some texture mapping lately. A nice project to work on now and then.

* STCC 2003. Couldn't resist to put together the cars and drivers in game. This is a long time project, but I have already made most of the cars for other mods. I will have to model the Audi A4 exterior and I will probably reuse the interior from STCC (1).
And because I like before/after pictures: here is the "before" picture with default liveries and some missing cubemaps.

pict1.jpg

* Fiesta cup 1998 (Toca 2). Exterior is about 90% done. No interior or physics yet, might to have to install Toca2 to check for car specs and setup.

* GT3 Huracan - some exterior details left, then it is time for interior(s) and physics.
Might be next thing to work with (after a break).

* STCC2 tinytweak. Already made, just have to pack it and see that everything is there.

Yes GTR2 seems far more popular. My thought:
Most people (Germany) want to drive BMW , Audi etc RWDs. Not Seat Leon or Ford Mondeo.
Day / Night circle
Save during race.
I assume that are one of the main reasons.

Beside: After watching here once in a while those Toca Videos, I decided to give Toca 3 a try (I missed those period in sim racing) and I have to say , Oh man what a blast from the past. So much fun....

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 75 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 111 10.6%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 151 14.4%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 288 27.5%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 417 39.9%