Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

Yes I know, but I'm not an ordinary 3d-modeler (if there are any), so I really like the simple raw workflow of zmodeller2 and sketchup :D I also use notpad for html/javascript/css at work. The simple programs seems to give me the best inspiration somehow.

Have tried blender a few times, but we don't go along very well. I might try it again in the future.:thumbsup:

Yes I know, but I'm not an ordinary 3d-modeler (if there are any), so I really like the simple raw workflow of zmodeller2 and sketchup :D I also use notpad for html/javascript/css at work. The simple programs seems to give me the best inspiration somehow.

Have tried blender a few times, but we don't go along very well. I might try it again in the future.:thumbsup:
Sure, you should always take the route that works for you the best. Just sounded a bit over-complicated with all these switching between programs. Even Zmod and Sketchup have very different ways of working.

Anyhow. If you need something or have any questions regarding Blender, just let me know!

I have a question if you don't mind, I've only just started using Blender to make wire frames and shade layers for templates which has worked out ok but I wondered if you can use the program to remap parts, for example a rear wing from one car added to the body template of another car.

The track is in the game :D
I had to make a program for manually making aiw files, which took a day or two, and some gtr2 problems, but now it works. The aiw file is horrible, garage spots are misplaced, there are holes in the ground and there are many graphical glitches and sorting problems, but the most difficult things are fixed, so now it only takes a lot of work. This will be fun

Still very much work in progress. It works and looks better, but there are some material challenges to overcome.
I have never done this much track work before, so a lot of things are new. Also have to invent new ways to do things with the programs I use. I don't know yet what graphics detail level I am aiming for. Will probably add some detail to the barriers where it is most needed.

alpine_screen17.jpg

The ai cars drive much better and a little bit faster, but the .aiw file still need some tweaks

alpine_screen16.jpg

Added some flowers to the track side. Would like to add a lot, but it is challenging to make them look good but not decrease performance.

alpine_screen15.jpg

The far away environment blends quite nice with the track side

alpine_screen14.jpg

The 'famous' Alpine Castle/mansion/university(?) is there

alpine_screen13.jpg

And so is the bridge. A fence has been built for safety, and to keep unwanted people of the track

alpine_screen12.jpg

Renault and Vauxhall have spent a lot of money to get the best advertising spaces

alpine_screen11.jpg

The barriers are close to the track, so an ambulance is a must.

alpine_screen10.jpg

Work going well, solved many persistent track problems yesterday.
I don't think there are a lot of things left to add, but there are still some texture polishing to do.
Possibly adding some more people and maybe pitcrews if there is enough space for them.

One other thing: I wonder which layout was the best/most fun?

track1.png

Last edited:
Just had my first 'real' race at the track against a full field of ai cars at 110%. It worked better than expected.
It looks good, has good framerate and the ai is also quite good.
It is hard to overtake and there are a lot of bumpy and slow 1st gear corners, so a good qualifying lap is crucial.
There is almost no time to relax because you need to place the car in the right position for the next corner.
The hairpin after the long sweeping "straight" is very tricky to get right because of the downhill braking.
I have to tweak the pitstop locations and try to smooth out the bumps at the sharp corners, as they cause much understeer at exit.
But overall very happy with the track so far :D

Last edited:
Status update:

* Alpine climb track is almost finished now. I might let it rest for some days to refresh my eyes before the final polishing. I hope the first version will be released in a week or two.

* Test track from Toca2 - adding some trees and updating/rework meshes. A just for fun project, I don't know what the result will be.
track2.png

* Volvo vs SAAB is a long time project with a lot of work left. Sadly the kind of project that is hard to finish. There is always something more interesting to work on :O_o: I might try to get something done when the first track is finished.

* DTM Volvo C70 - nothing new

* GT3 Huracan - nothing new. The model is quite nice and it works well in the game so far, but this project has lost its speed, sort of. Often the first part of car making is the most interesting for me, but making the small details and painting liveries and adding logos are not as interesting.
gt3_4.jpg

* Graphics updates to a famous track and the usual 'tinytweak' to a mod or two made by others. - No reply from the authors sadly, I might not be able to release anything here. The cars are WTCC from the s2000 with turbo era.

Last edited:
Status update (again):

* Alpine climb is released obviously

* Test track from Toca2 - it is time for a lot of texture mapping now. A just-for-fun project for the moment.

* Volvo vs SAAB is a long time project with a lot of work left. Sadly the kind of project that is hard to finish. There is always something
more interesting to work on.

* DTM Volvo C70 - nothing new

* GT3 Huracan - nothing new. The model is quite nice and it works well in the game so far, but this project has lost its speed, sort of. Often the first part of car making is the most interesting for me, but making the small details and painting liveries and adding logos are not as interesting.

* I saw some videos at youtube showing Toca Touring cars in HD. Have always had problems with the mipmapping making the cars look awful, but found some hacks to makes it look better than ever. In some ways I think Toca1 looks better than Toca2. The skies often looks better, and the Toca1 version of Donington is nice. If the drawing distance could be increased and the tracks were smoother this could be a very nice retro game

1591296944179.png

1591304331508.png

Of course I had to try to mod the car models. Found some tools I used a very long time ago. After much research they finally worked. I can extract the models, but sadly it is not possible to import models with more polygons :cry:
Less polygons should be ok, but why would someone like to do that?

1591296610175.png

... anyway, I think I will continue with Race 07

Last edited:
Some info about this "Battle of Sweden" class

Engine power, weight, gear ratios, suspension, springs, weight distribution and other parts are replicated as close as possible to resemble the real cars. I have also tried to replicate the original factory colors from 1989. Setup is limited to tyre pressure, camber, toe in, brake pressure, brake bias and anti-roll bars.

* The Volvo 740 Turbo cars has got some real upgrades like harder springs and limited slip differential brake.
Colors so far:

Silvergrön - Silver green
Mellanröd - Middlered
Beige
Vit
- White
Mörkgrå - Dark gray
Gul - Yellow
Ljusblå - Light blue

Might also be included:
Benvit - Off white
Kungsblå - Royal blue

* The SAAB 900 Turbo cars has got 90kg BOP compensation weight, but it is still the lighter car.

Colors so far:

Magenta
T8 grå
- Gray
Cherryröd - Cerry red
Svart - Black
Malakitgrön - malachite green

Possibly:
Ambassadblå - "Embassy blue"

SAAB 900 Turbo "Cherryröd" with Aero rim (without the caps)

battleofsweden13.jpg

Volvo 740 Turbo "Gul" with the Turbo rear part thing (what is it called?) between the rear lights.
With "Addon" bodykit, "Polaris" rims, rear wing, sport chassis. Also non factory roll cage and racing seat.
Rear wing, bodykit, roll cage/standard interior and the red "thing" can be changed with genstring.

battleofsweden12.jpg

Volvo 740 Turbo "Silvergrön" with the same things except the tail light thing.

battleofsweden11.jpg

Exteriors are almost complete now

Physics are also almost complete I think

Sounds are there but needs some more tweaks. They have to be a compromise obviously

Interiors need more work

Windscreen wipers will not work (at least not for now), because the shapes of the windscreens are so different to everything else. There might be no driver hands and legs in cockpit view, because the steering wheels are too big for the animations it seems.

battleofsweden14.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back