Some wip projects

AndreasFSC

Too much going on...
battle1989.jpg

Yesterday I finish my new "Lighting Patch 1.9".

So if you can make the small amount of your shaders, that aren´t working, to work on GTR2 and do some minor adjustment/idea (if proper) I am, to start, willing to give you my patch and permission to add it to all your work.

I might do a thread with screenshots about the work and let you know so you can see if you are interested there also.
But before, I want to redone some corrupted normals (Out of memory! 3dsim issue) but here a preview:
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Not much new to show, trying to improve the worst looking details to get a more even look.
Also trying to 'blend' my interior meshes and the dashboards made by qwerty24 (mainly cars available 1997 - 1999) better. For a long time I have only used one or two dashboard versions because I had to add many updates when my models got updates, but I think I'll try to add more year specific interiors where available. Not sure they will be used in this update, probably in next.

17.jpg

Hello!
It´s nice to see you keep up your work. Those cockpit are looking really nice.
In my GT3 (sascha´s mod from AC) the darkness in cockpit seems to come from the cubemaps (you know, the one image of the 6 in the cube that is black) and having the specular to lighten things with a "bigger than 1" Power= value (wich actually results in less overall power) and its proper intensity color (of course).
So this way you can use (for cockpit) your 1st textures a bit more darkened that will shine at the "right" moments.
But is just a thought.
Now on your sshots.. are you using a special shader for it? I see darkness is doing something like and old idea I have about a shader. Was more like a last resource idea.

BTW. Yesterday I plug in your Specialfx.TEC from blinding sun (V1.5), I redid the lens flare but a bit surprise came that I was geting like a better overall look.
So I noticed that yours is very complete and different from original. Have those changes improve the look?
Or maybe it was my "morning" perception of my lighting redone on the night before. IDK. (won´t post any screens as this is your post, but it looks better)

Anyway.. at some point Im gonna move to RaceRemaster. It seems the proper thing to do. But most important, I didn´t know that you have a way for "time advancing" and a lot more. Althoug I facepalm myself when I see it was only for steam. But anyway.

Saludos Andreas.

Hello!
It´s nice to see you keep up your work. Those cockpit are looking really nice.
In my GT3 (sascha´s mod from AC) the darkness in cockpit seems to come from the cubemaps (you know, the one image of the 6 in the cube that is black) and having the specular to lighten things with a "bigger than 1" Power= value (wich actually results in less overall power) and its proper intensity color (of course).
So this way you can use (for cockpit) your 1st textures a bit more darkened that will shine at the "right" moments.
But is just a thought.
Now on your sshots.. are you using a special shader for it? I see darkness is doing something like and old idea I have about a shader. Was more like a last resource idea.

BTW. Yesterday I plug in your Specialfx.TEC from blinding sun (V1.5), I redid the lens flare but a bit surprise came that I was geting like a better overall look.
So I noticed that yours is very complete and different from original. Have those changes improve the look?
Or maybe it was my "morning" perception of my lighting redone on the night before. IDK. (won´t post any screens as this is your post, but it looks better)

Anyway.. at some point Im gonna move to RaceRemaster. It seems the proper thing to do. But most important, I didn´t know that you have a way for "time advancing" and a lot more. Althoug I facepalm myself when I see it was only for steam. But anyway.

Saludos Andreas.
Screenshots are pure ingame, no extra filters or postprocess injection.
I had a gemfx preset that I liked before, it made the dark areas a little bit darker, so I tried to tweak the shaders to look like that without any gemfx/reshade etc.

Interesting point about the look of the specialfx file. My changes there are not so big, maybe Simbin made some little but improving changes between gtr2 and Race07? Or as you say it can be your settings, as light settings can make a big difference.

For me Race 07 has one big advantage over Gtr2, it is easier to make mods. I find Gtr2 very moody with many exra rules and much more picky with material names :D
It was like doing the usual things with one hand tied behind my back.

Just a heads up, I was running a Super Touring race on Brands Hatch Indy and the leaderboard that displays after each lap was bugged in this one. I then tried another track and it worked fine.

Last edited:
no extra filters or postprocess injection
I like that.
it made the dark areas a little bit darker
Only for the cockpit? Or affects everything?
It was like doing the usual things with one hand tied behind my back
wow.. sounds no good.

On the RF1DecalShader that 3dsim author suggest, there is a "vs20_blinncmapspec" with only one line different (or 2). Is that better? or the Race07 one that you provide in your V1.81 shaders?

Last edited:
For me Race 07 has one big advantage over Gtr2, it is easier to make mods. I find Gtr2 very moody with many exra rules and much more picky with material names :D
It was like doing the usual things with one hand tied behind my back.
I find the gauges hard to get to work in Race 07.
I might not do it right but then again have never seen a good easy to follow guide/ instruction for that. Mojo66 got one but only have like 50% success rate with that so that got old fast.

I find the gauges hard to get to work in Race 07.
I might not do it right but then again have never seen a good easy to follow guide/ instruction for that. Mojo66 got one but only have like 50% success rate with that so that got old fast.
Is it the analog gauges that doesn't work?
I have had some troubles too, but so far they have always worked in the end.

I have some gauges working in the saab 900 and volvo 740 cars.
Should also try to make the wipers work using the new wiper editor by @mucho when I have finished a lot of other things in the pipeline :D

Yes analog gauges in Race 07 drives me nuts. I can see plenty of other people gets them to work.
But then again there are so much content in Race 07 that I have even after all those years still not really used much. With much I mean there are several cars/ series I have never finished a race in.

I like that.

Only for the cockpit? Or affects everything?

wow.. sounds no good.

On the RF1DecalShader that 3dsim author suggest, there is a "vs20_blinncmapspec" with only one line different (or 2). Is that better? or the Race07 one that you provide in your V1.81 shaders?

The shader "style" is in everything, but most noticeable in the shaders used for cars.
They use a bit less standard ambient light and a little bit bigger normals range (in how they effect light reflection) + some more ambient light from above only (as in cubemaps, that are brighter from above as they simulate sky). This and a lot of tweaks makes the visual style. I think it simulates a sunny day quite well.

I admit I haven't found the best interior materials yet, in Race 07 "cube map specular map fresnel t1" is used for most things related to cars.
Maybe I should try to make a special version of it for interiors?
I think what is needed is basically fresnel effect and specular light, diffuse texture and specular map textures, and try to tweak it to look right. Or maybe just try new settings on existing shaders..

This is all wonderful work and is transformative of what was already a great game. It might just be my install, but I am finding a tall, thin, young man suspended in mid-air in the middle of the Snetterton track just before the start-line, in a rolling start and he's there in every subsequent lap, both with standing and rolling starts.

This is all wonderful work and is transformative of what was already a great game. It might just be my install, but I am finding a tall, thin, young man suspended in mid-air in the middle of the Snetterton track just before the start-line, in a rolling start and he's there in every subsequent lap, both with standing and rolling starts.
Strange (but I have not tested every track a lot this time), can you post a screenshot? :O_o:

I mean it looks pretty good and still have not mess with your special ones. So still intrigued by that.

Cockpit from sascha´s GT3 mod (the one I use):

Cage/accesories/buttons: cube map spec map t1 (pow=15 col=ffffff)
Dash/inerior/console: cube map spec map add grayscale relfect (pow=15 col=ffffff)
Motec: specular t1 (pow=15 col=4b4b4b)
1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

Well, a special shader only if necesary. I have seen that tweaking shader values in 3dsim and photoshop adjustments make a big difference.
Other thing to consider is not to much specular intensity because it tends to "go through things" (maybe only when they are not "double faced"). "Double sided" is only for the texture to not become invisible from the other side.
And increase the Power=value (to 15?), as it decrases the angle of specular reflection (it helps dark interiors still get lighten up by sun).

Other big improvement to me has come from exporting everything from 3dsimed with your shaders included in the HARDWARESHADERS folder. Things will be open and saved with them (as author explain).
And I have seen big corruption problems been solved by just open the track this way. Now.. you better use those exact shaders in your game also, otherwise will crash.

Other is to use the geolocation that I send you (at least for dev./calibration of shaders) otherwise you wont get proper light alignment, I can tell you that.

Now.. my idea have always been to make ambient light have surface bottom darker (fresnel ambient?) as it is an effect seen in real life even outdoors:
ambient darker trick.JPG
what do you think?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back