Some help for a noob just starting...

Hi all!

I'm playing right now almost every sim out there, i was off of sim racing for like 7 years... I never was a great racer, nor I used to play online, I'm just a casual racer, but arcade games are not my thing...

I really like the experience of driving challenging cars but there is something that is killing me... When driving a rear traction car in rfactor2 (almost all of them) and when in a curve, the car is like start sliding, but is imposible to get it back, like, it starts at let say 60 km/h and is imposible to stop that slide, like it is on ice... I know this is my problem, but I don't know how to start solving it...

The other problem, that I'm trying to solve is the brakes... Some times the same happens when pressing the brakes, even barely pushing them...

Another question, how do I get to race in clubs or leagues? I don't have much time to be competitive, but i really enjoy a clean race, and but clean I'm not saying 0 touches, I'm saying not running over the others on purpose...

Anyway, thanks a lot for the help!

I use T500 pedals, and for some reason, after a reboot of my computer, I always have to fully depress the pedals once before they turn "normal". If I don't do that, I get what you describe, crazy sensitive brakes that lock up at the slightest touch.

As for the "on ice" problem, most beginners in rF2 make the mistake of pushing flat out on the out lap, on a green track with cold tires. That'll get you ice skating in no time. ;)

Tire temps need to be built up gradually and carefully, and it's highly recommended to select a Real Road preset before you go on track.

If you continue to get those unrecoverable slides you describe, my next thought would be that you're overheating the rear tires. Be careful to not accelerate too hard out of slow corners, otherwise the rears will turn to mush.

Which cars have you been driving so far, if I may ask? :)

I use T500 pedals, and for some reason, after a reboot of my computer, I always have to fully depress the pedals once before they turn "normal". If I don't do that, I get what you describe, crazy sensitive brakes that lock up at the slightest touch.

As for the "on ice" problem, most beginners in rF2 make the mistake of pushing flat out on the out lap, on a green track with cold tires. That'll get you ice skating in no time. ;)

Tire temps need to be built up gradually and carefully, and it's highly recommended to select a Real Road preset before you go on track.

If you continue to get those unrecoverable slides you describe, my next thought would be that you're overheating the rear tires. Be careful to not accelerate too hard out of slow corners, otherwise the rears will turn to mush.

Which cars have you been driving so far, if I may ask? :)
Hi! Thanks for the advice!

I've been driving the corvette C7R and the flat6 Porsche mostly, the first problems where with the formula renault, but i could start to go better in the track.
With the flat6 has been different, there is almost no setup options, and i feel the suspension is not correct, like at the slightest of bumps and the car automatically lose traction and is impossible to control, I know of course, that I'm not good at this, but some times it gets really frustrating...

What mod should I try first? I could drive a little better the skip barber, maybe thats the route...

I couldn't find any Miata to play, I liked (a bit, not much) the mazda in iRacing...

I've been thinking in get a new wheel for my G27, it's hard to catch slides with that small wheel... Don't know...

Hmm yeah, personally I think the Flat6 mod still needs some work, at least regarding its tires. For a first release version it's pretty damn good though. People are however reporting an excessive amount of sliding in that car, and I somewhat agree that it does get a bit too sideways at times.

Skip Barber, well yeah for sure, that's a very good route to go. It's a dedicated "school car", it's built and set up to teach you all the fundamentals of proper driving techniques. Be sure to check out "Going Faster" on YouTube if you haven't already. Watch it and try out the techniques yourself in rF2 afterwards. The accuracy in rF2 is second to none, what you see in the video will also apply in rF2.

Miata can be downloaded here (along with the supercharged version).
Such a fun little car.

I started out with a G27 as well, and used it for about a year and a half. The lack of detail in the FFB along with the very noisy grinding of the internal gears is what caused me to switch to the T500, a switch I do not regret one bit. Running rF2 with the new wheel, it was like rediscovering the sim all over again, so much more detail and power, great stuff.

That said I did have an awesome time learning to sim race with my old wheel.

Hmm yeah, personally I think the Flat6 mod still needs some work, at least regarding its tires. For a first release version it's pretty damn good though. People are however reporting an excessive amount of sliding in that car, and I somewhat agree that it does get a bit too sideways at times.

Skip Barber, well yeah for sure, that's a very good route to go. It's a dedicated "school car", it's built and set up to teach you all the fundamentals of proper driving techniques. Be sure to check out "Going Faster" on YouTube if you haven't already. Watch it and try out the techniques yourself in rF2 afterwards. The accuracy in rF2 is second to none, what you see in the video will also apply in rF2.

Miata can be downloaded here (along with the supercharged version).
Such a fun little car.

I started out with a G27 as well, and used it for about a year and a half. The lack of detail in the FFB along with the very noisy grinding of the internal gears is what caused me to switch to the T500, a switch I do not regret one bit. Running rF2 with the new wheel, it was like rediscovering the sim all over again, so much more detail and power, great stuff.

That said I did have an awesome time learning to sim race with my old wheel.
Thanks a lot!

I know the G27 is not great, but there is no chance to change it for a long time, maybe never haha :(

I have a problem with the G27, and is that the wheel feels stiff, and is really hard to save a slide, like it is really hard to counter steer, I search the internet and i couldn't find anything useful for PC gaming and for rFactor 2 in special...

Do you have any tip that I can use? It is really clumsy and I don't know why...

i don't think theres a need for mods in rf., the stock content especially the cpm lot, are the best in all the cars available and also on the pc globally. Get used to them first then explore the mod content. 9 times out of ten theres issues with mods.

For me Rf2 is like my total realism sim, with a handful of superb feeling cars n tracks....but less of the bells n whistles. I have Raceroom/AC for the fancy licenses and graphics.

With Reizas new sim coming soon, i wonder where that will fit in. Suppose a little nearer to rf2. With a good mix of realism, licences ,audio and visual!

Last edited:
Thanks a lot!

I know the G27 is not great, but there is no chance to change it for a long time, maybe never haha :(

I have a problem with the G27, and is that the wheel feels stiff, and is really hard to save a slide, like it is really hard to counter steer, I search the internet and i couldn't find anything useful for PC gaming and for rFactor 2 in special...

Do you have any tip that I can use? It is really clumsy and I don't know why...

There's a number of things you should try with your G27, I don't recall exactly what the details are off the top of my head, since I've been using another wheel for about a year now. Try checking out this comprehensive FFB guide. It has helped out a lot of folks in the past, and it helped me too in getting my G27 wheel to feel x1000 better than it did with default settings.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 375 16.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 256 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 304 13.1%