Some AI don't pull away from the grid at start of race

As title says, I cant seem to find an answer on Google for this.
I have content manager & sol.
nearly all races i get around 5 AI cars that just don't pull away when the lights go out, causing all the other AI to just stop behind in a long train.
sometimes, the stationary cars retire, sometimes they sit on there grid for the entire race, causing a yellow flag every lap.
seems to happen with Kunos (brands hatch for example) & mod tracks, and makes no difference what car pack I am racing, any ideas??
Thanks in advance

This does not work tried it and cars are still not moving when race starts
I realise this is a bit of an old thread now, but recently began playing AC again and wanted to do some offline races / championships just for fun.

Has anyone found a fix to tthis yet? I had same problem as others have had with full race weekend where all cars successfully complete practice session, but then some fail to set quali lap either due to crashing or they don't seem to leave the pits.

These cars then all crash at start of the race - almost looks like they are trying to drive through pit wall into the pits.

Had it happen with the Kunons TT cup @ Donnington as well as with T78 TCR @ Kunos Brands Hatch.

I have quali & practice sessions both set @ 30 mins & have turned the new AI behaviour off on CSP

I realise this is a bit of an old thread now, but recently began playing AC again and wanted to do some offline races / championships just for fun.

Has anyone found a fix to tthis yet? I had same problem as others have had with full race weekend where all cars successfully complete practice session, but then some fail to set quali lap either due to crashing or they don't seem to leave the pits.

These cars then all crash at start of the race - almost looks like they are trying to drive through pit wall into the pits.

Had it happen with the Kunons TT cup @ Donnington as well as with T78 TCR @ Kunos Brands Hatch.

I have quali & practice sessions both set @ 30 mins & have turned the new AI behaviour off on CSP
What version of CSP do you have? There have been a lot of updates and turning off AI behaviour as far as I know won't fix this. I've been racing constantly, doing full weekends and had zero issues. Try it with the ai behaviour switched on. Also, have you edited the ai for the tracks? Because if it's at the start of a race that the cars are swerving hard into the barrier, to my knowledge, the only time I've encountered that is if I've done a bad job of recording ai lines with them ai editor. I could be wrong, but that's the only time.

What version of CSP do you have? There have been a lot of updates and turning off AI behaviour as far as I know won't fix this. I've been racing constantly, doing full weekends and had zero issues. Try it with the ai behaviour switched on. Also, have you edited the ai for the tracks? Because if it's at the start of a race that the cars are swerving hard into the barrier, to my knowledge, the only time I've encountered that is if I've done a bad job of recording ai lines with them ai editor. I could be wrong, but that's the only time.
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have 0.179 CSP & I wondered if it had something to do with AI lines, but nobody else seems to have problem with the excellent https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/donington-park.3031/ track and I have not made any amendments to the AI files that came with the track.

I have no clue if this "problem" has always been there & somehow I've not noticed or if something has started causing it.

Last "test" I did the 8 cars that did not start properly all failed to record a quali lap, but I think they all did practice laps.

I will do some more testing shortly to try other car & track combos and might try a downgrade of CSP to earlier version to see if that fixes it.

What version of CSP are you using and what car & track combos have you completed full race weekend vs AI with so I can perhaps try that?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Just to add to the conversation, here are some of my anecdotes over the 1 year that I’ve been playing AC. It still occurs for me, unfortunately:

Base info –
CSP: 0.1.79
New AI Behaviour: Active
Car(s): mainly RSS Formula Hybrid 2022, and other RSS single seater cars
Track(s): various
Mode (in CM): Weekend or Championship – no Practice, 12-15 mins of Qualifying, 5-7 laps of Racing

Scenarios –
  1. Qualifying finishes; AI is in the pitlane but has not reached its pit box before the screen fades out:
    1. The affected AI will start the race by veering towards the pitlane and crash
      1. Theory A: They’re stuck following the pitlane AI line, instead of reverting to the race AI line, indicating they may be in a ‘i-need-to-pit’ state since they couldn’t reach their pitbox, or
      2. Theory B: The AI lanes are old or messed up
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. What worked: Nothing that I tried :( For Theory B, you would have to seek out a new recorded AI line by others to replace it, or you'd have to make your own. You can use the AI developer app in-race to see if the lines are messed up
      2. What didn’t work: Restarting the race multiple times
  2. During qualifying, AI crashed out or retired and may not have successfully set a time:
    1. The affected AI will not move off from the grid
      1. Theory: They still think they are retired i.e. the AI is in a state where it thinks it has retired even though its now the race start
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. What worked: Restarting the race multiple times, sometimes ensuring that all the remaining cars have crossed the starting line before restarting
      2. What didn’t work: Sometimes restarting doesn’t work :(
  3. You are now racing and decided to restart; but AI crashed out during your first race and now doesn't move off after restart:
    1. See above; same theory and possible solution
  4. Qualifying finishes; AI successfully sets a time, but AI car spins and becomes a Beyblade at race start:
    1. Theories:
      1. Theory A: Too high revs for the car when it sets off the grid, or
      2. Theory B: I’ve seen this affect RSS Formula Hybrid cars. This happened when I unpacked data for the cars and changed the version in car.ini to extended-2 or something similar. This was because of the old requirement for the RARE app.
      3. Theory C: If the cars use DRS when setting off the starting grid, this might cause instability and cause them to crash.
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. Theory A: Might be a mod issue; not the person for this but far more knowledgeable people can advise on the values to change after unpacking the car data
      2. Theory B: When I changed back the version in car.ini back to 1 (which was the original value), the cars were able to leave the grid without spinning.
      3. Theory C: Use RARE to restrict DRS from being used on the first lap, but do note that if the track does not have any DRS zones, this function will not work (as of today).
I hope at the very least this helps with scenarios 2, 3 and 4, even if the theories are off.
For scenario 1, if anyone else has experienced the same and resolved it, hope you can share your wisdom. Otherwise, do share if your scenarios align with mine. Cheers. :)

Hey guys,

Just to add to the conversation, here are some of my anecdotes over the 1 year that I’ve been playing AC. It still occurs for me, unfortunately:

Base info –
CSP: 0.1.79
New AI Behaviour: Active
Car(s): mainly RSS Formula Hybrid 2022, and other RSS single seater cars
Track(s): various
Mode (in CM): Weekend or Championship – no Practice, 12-15 mins of Qualifying, 5-7 laps of Racing

Scenarios –
  1. Qualifying finishes; AI is in the pitlane but has not reached its pit box before the screen fades out:
    1. The affected AI will start the race by veering towards the pitlane and crash
      1. Theory A: They’re stuck following the pitlane AI line, instead of reverting to the race AI line, indicating they may be in a ‘i-need-to-pit’ state since they couldn’t reach their pitbox, or
      2. Theory B: The AI lanes are old or messed up
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. What worked: Nothing that I tried :( For Theory B, you would have to seek out a new recorded AI line by others to replace it, or you'd have to make your own. You can use the AI developer app in-race to see if the lines are messed up
      2. What didn’t work: Restarting the race multiple times
  2. During qualifying, AI crashed out or retired and may not have successfully set a time:
    1. The affected AI will not move off from the grid
      1. Theory: They still think they are retired i.e. the AI is in a state where it thinks it has retired even though its now the race start
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. What worked: Restarting the race multiple times, sometimes ensuring that all the remaining cars have crossed the starting line before restarting
      2. What didn’t work: Sometimes restarting doesn’t work :(
  3. You are now racing and decided to restart; but AI crashed out during your first race and now doesn't move off after restart:
    1. See above; same theory and possible solution
  4. Qualifying finishes; AI successfully sets a time, but AI car spins and becomes a Beyblade at race start:
    1. Theories:
      1. Theory A: Too high revs for the car when it sets off the grid, or
      2. Theory B: I’ve seen this affect RSS Formula Hybrid cars. This happened when I unpacked data for the cars and changed the version in car.ini to extended-2 or something similar. This was because of the old requirement for the RARE app.
      3. Theory C: If the cars use DRS when setting off the starting grid, this might cause instability and cause them to crash.
    2. Possible solutions:
      1. Theory A: Might be a mod issue; not the person for this but far more knowledgeable people can advise on the values to change after unpacking the car data
      2. Theory B: When I changed back the version in car.ini back to 1 (which was the original value), the cars were able to leave the grid without spinning.
      3. Theory C: Use RARE to restrict DRS from being used on the first lap, but do note that if the track does not have any DRS zones, this function will not work (as of today).
I hope at the very least this helps with scenarios 2, 3 and 4, even if the theories are off.
For scenario 1, if anyone else has experienced the same and resolved it, hope you can share your wisdom. Otherwise, do share if your scenarios align with mine. Cheers. :)
Very in depth response, thank you. Currently away from home, so not able to test & report back, but I will.

Just wondering, have you tried doing an AI weekend in vanilla AC launcher, ie without CSP / content manager to see if problem exists there? I will look to do that I think (if you haven't already) when I am able to.

Hopefully one of the very talented people on here will already have a fix, or be working on whereby as much detail of where problem occurs will assist

Just out of curiosity, there is a setting: SETTINGS > CSP > NEW AI BEHAVIOUR > GET BACK TO RACE AFTER GOING TO PITS.

Do you have that ticked by any chance? I do NOT have it ticked and have never experianced what you guys are getting, even though I DO have New AI behaviour enabled. Just a thought. I am using CSP 0.1.78. Maybe that is it? Maybe not, just something for you to look at.

Just out of curiosity, there is a setting: SETTINGS > CSP > NEW AI BEHAVIOUR > GET BACK TO RACE AFTER GOING TO PITS.

Do you have that ticked by any chance? I do NOT have it ticked and have never experianced what you guys are getting, even though I DO have New AI behaviour enabled. Just a thought. I am using CSP 0.1.78. Maybe that is it? Maybe not, just something for you to look at.
Thanks for the inputs! :)

GET BACK TO RACE AFTER GOING TO PITS is disabled for me when I experienced these issues. I've not tried CSP 0.1.78.

Very in depth response, thank you. Currently away from home, so not able to test & report back, but I will.

Just wondering, have you tried doing an AI weekend in vanilla AC launcher, ie without CSP / content manager to see if problem exists there? I will look to do that I think (if you haven't already) when I am able to.

Hopefully one of the very talented people on here will already have a fix, or be working on whereby as much detail of where problem occurs will assist

No, I've not. :o
I'm aware though that some people are playing from Practice to Quali to Race. Is my understanding correct that if an AI crashes in Practice, then it doesn't go out for Quali?

It seems to me that this is a 'state' issue. I wonder if CSP can implement a feature to reset the AI's state after each session so they will all get going.

Recently though, when there are 2 or 3 cars left after the checkered flag in Qualifying, I'll just skip the session. I try to avoid the moment where an AI car is entering its pitbox just as the screen fades. Then all the cars should set off at race start. :)

I hope this case of Ai not driving off during race start is sorted nw. If not, try unpacking the car data folder and edit the Ai.ini file. i am not sure about other cars but he's what i did for bonny's nissan gtr 2018:
Stock
[GEARS]
UP=6600
DOWN=4500
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.190

Edited:
[GEARS]
UP=6400
DOWN=5200
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.190

HOPE THIS HELPS

I hope this case of Ai not driving off during race start is sorted nw. If not, try unpacking the car data folder and edit the Ai.ini file. i am not sure about other cars but he's what i did for bonny's nissan gtr 2018:
Stock
[GEARS]
UP=6600
DOWN=4500
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.190

Edited:
[GEARS]
UP=6400
DOWN=5200
SLIP_THRESHOLD=0.95
GAS_CUTOFF_TIME=0.190

HOPE THIS HELPS
I concur that reducing the UP values can help if a car doesn't pull away; it's a specific scenario. You can see telltale signs if you click on the AI name, be it in the Race Menu or if you use an app like Substanding (Extended) or Gran Turismo UI. You'll switch to the AI POV. You'll see / hear the AI revving but not upshifting. You'll also notice that all AIs using the affected mod will have this issue. Hence, you can try reducing the UP values in decrements of 50 or 100 until the AI can upshift. :) You may adjust DOWN if you find the AI getting stuck in a higher gear and not being able to downshift.

I concur that reducing the UP values can help if a car doesn't pull away; it's a specific scenario. You can see telltale signs if you click on the AI name, be it in the Race Menu or if you use an app like Substanding (Extended) or Gran Turismo UI. You'll switch to the AI POV. You'll see / hear the AI revving but not upshifting. You'll also notice that all AIs using the affected mod will have this issue. Hence, you can try reducing the UP values in decrements of 50 or 100 until the AI can upshift. :) You may adjust DOWN if you find the AI getting stuck in a higher gear and not being able to downshift.

There's no need to do guess work as to what the UP value should be.
Look for the engine rev limiter value in engine.ini file. As long as the UP value in your ai.ini file is lower than that, you're good to go

@mk-sg

I really dont know what you are doing do in order to get these problems with the ai. Are those issues occuring always? So whenever a car crashes in quali does it always not start properly? Or does it only happen sometimes?

@mk-sg

I really dont know what you are doing do in order to get these problems with the ai. Are those issues occuring always? So whenever a car crashes in quali does it always not start properly? Or does it only happen sometimes?
lol you make it sound like i'm deliberately causing it, its incidental
also it's not an issue that I'm constantly trying to solve, its my observations when i've played the game across 2 years when these things happen, and i relay that for people who might have experienced the same issues in order to help them. just to clarify. :)

i've listed the patterns that I've noticed back then but now that CSP has been updated quite a lot, I've personally not experienced these issues as much. there's a quicker fade-out from end of qualifying to race start, which might be helping the issue. but otherwise, the main thing i still notice is when an AI car is driving back to its lot in the pitlane and the screen fades out, it does still make the AI want to steer into the pitlane when the race starts. restarting doesn't help. cheers. :)

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 204 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.6%
  • < 5 years