Software situation around direct-drive wheels (drivers etc)

Theoretically I am ready to buy a direct-drive wheel.

Trouble is, I react very emotionally when I have to deal with screwed up software that I cannot change. That includes software that isn't updated after a certain point. I am very reluctant to buy hardware that needs drivers that are closed-source and where the required documentation to implement new drivers is not available. Closed source firmware is OK, it is not invalidated by operating system changes (which can invalidate drivers and make you dependent on the OEM giving you new drivers).

So I'm happy to buy expensive pedals, because they just work. But a force-feedback steering wheel is a different matter entirely.

Last I checked even OSW wheels did not have open-source drivers, but I would like to look into a bit more detail. I would like to invite random comments on these thoughts:
  • Is the software at least a bit modular, e.g. split up between the control and feedback part? It would help a lot if you could tackle steering and force-feedback separately.
  • I assume the state of affairs still is that open source software was once considered, but then dropped because of fear of cheaper hardware (copies) coming along re-using the same software. Is that still the case?
  • Is there a bit of choice about controllers? It would improve the situation if a driver SNAFU would force you to get a new controller box, but you could re-use all the mechanical and electrical components.

Thoughts?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back