Sochi nears completion

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
Found some photos of the Sochi circuit released today. Looking good.
sochi-autodrom-1.jpg

sochi-autodrom-2.jpg

sochi-autodrom-3.jpg

sochi-autodrom-4.jpg

sochi-autodrom-5.jpg

sochi-autodrom-6.jpg

sochi-autodrom-7.jpg

sochi-autodrom-8.jpg

sochi-autodrom-9.jpg

Plus a sneak peek at the finished version of Sochi for F1 2014!
:p

Awesome pictures Jimlaad! Looks like a great venue, a lot better than I had anticipated :inlove:!

Only two things I would change is have a straight connecting 11-14 Making for quick sweeping turns leading the last two coming out of 8 :cool:! Then push that infield structure by the start line somewhere along with the pits on the outside of the 14-15 straight so the view from the grand stand would encompass the last set of turns like an arena! That will most likely never happen, but we can dream, right?

sochi-circuit-map.jpeg

Awesome pictures Jimlaad! Looks like a great venue, a lot better than I had anticipated :inlove:!

Only two things I would change is have a straight connecting 11-14 Making for quick sweeping turns leading the last two coming out of 8 :cool:! Then push that infield structure by the start line somewhere along with the pits on the outside of the 14-15 straight so the view from the grand stand would encompass the last set of turns like an arena! That will most likely never happen, but we can dream, right?

sochi-circuit-map.jpeg
The original proposal looks like a much better circuit than the one we have.
map-1-inline.jpg

Turn 2 looks a bit better, and after turn 4 looks like a medium-fast corner. OK, the triple hairpins are crap, but at least the arena section isn't so mickey mouse eh? Plus a quadruple-apex final corner, faster than the silly double 90 degree'er we have now.

The original proposal looks like a much better circuit than the one we have.
map-1-inline.jpg

Turn 2 looks a bit better, and after turn 4 looks like a medium-fast corner. OK, the triple hairpins are crap, but at least the arena section isn't so mickey mouse eh? Plus a quadruple-apex final corner, faster than the silly double 90 degree'er we have now.

Damn, now that is a nice circuit! Triple hairpin thing is weird, but other than that it appears to be a brilliant circuit. By the way so there is no confusion, when I was talking about how this was better than anticipated, I was referencing the facility and structures. The current circuit is pretty much crap :thumbsdown:

Damn, now that is a nice circuit! Triple hairpin thing is weird, but other than that it appears to be a brilliant circuit. By the way so there is no confusion, when I was talking about how this was better than anticipated, I was referencing the facility and structures. The current circuit is pretty much crap :thumbsdown:
We can't judge it until we see it. Valencia looked pretty cool, until we saw racing happen there. Sochi is uninspiring, but it may produce one of the best races ever! We just don't know until we get there really.

I wouldnt say it looks too good, but i see many corners where you can overtake.
One thing i dont like, is how they make such runoffareas for a ´´city track´´
Such track should have corner exits with concrete after the white line immediatly, especially in slower corners where there is no danger anyway. Ok in faster corners leave some safety zone where you can slide after an impact, but i swear the boundries of every single track are the same: white line, curbs that go shaky after a 30cm, astroturf and asphalt. Besides the track shape and background, there is no character in the track boundries. That is why monaco remains special, because there the walls are the actual limit.
For example, look at 1:25 of Vettel video, the corner entry is nice, you have to be as close to the wall as you can, but instead of using all of the narrowing barriers for the limit, there is 90 degree corner and useless runoffarea where some drivers (!) will start going 4 wheels off.

Why Vettel gets to drive the track?

Seriously, now Vettel has an extra lap of experience comapred to any other F1 driver. At least the circuit looks decent, hopefully F1 2014 machines can provide some nice racing over here

Well, as far as I know there is nothing in regulations to stop any driver testing at any circuit, as long as it is not in a current Formula 1 car.

All the drivers will have done loads of laps in a simulator. Vettel doing one lap in a road car will not help him at all.

The track has too many 90 degree corners, there aren't any fast corners really apart form turns 1 and 3. All the rest are either tight, acceleration zones or annoying kinks on straights. Hopefully it will produce a good race though.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 123 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 170 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 329 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 460 39.2%