So, where to start?

Hi. I'm DrivingGui and I don't want a DUI. So, I thought I'd practice a bit on some hardware/software before venturing out into the real world. I don't have the possibility to practice driving with a real car yet.

However, since I will spend a lot of time on virtual driving besides studying driving theory, I'd prefer practicing only with the best stuff.

1: What is the best, most realistic simulator for city driving? (I guess it's City Car Driving).

2: What is the best, most realistic car simulator? The physics, driving itself etc (with clutches).

3: Do you think I should practice with the answer to question one or two?

4: What is the cheapest wheel/pedal setup that mimics the real stuff the best? How much does it cost?

5: Will there be a way to play with the clutch biting point for more realism? So it's not just on/off.

6: Will there be a way to play with stalling, so I learn from my mistakes?

Rate my English 1-10, please.

Thank you for answering these questions and rating my English :p

Last edited:
That are a lot of questions to answer :) Might be easier to split the questions into different topics for a better result.

Upvote 0
Hi. I'm DrivingGui and I don't want a DUI. So, I thought I'd practice a bit on some hardware/software before venturing out into the real world. I don't have the possibility to practice driving with a real car yet.

4: What is the cheapest wheel/pedal setup that mimics the real stuff the best? How much does it cost?

5: Will there be a way to play with the clutch biting point for more realism? So it's not just on/off.

6: Will there be a way to play with stalling, so I learn from my mistakes?

I'm afraid it is cheaper to get a second hand car to train than to buy a pedal set that properly simulates the feeling of "bite".

Upvote 0
I'm afraid it is cheaper to get a second hand car to train than to buy a pedal set that properly simulates the feeling of "bite".

So I've read.. hmm.. The problem is that I have no way of getting a real car at the moment. The only thing I can do is practice at home. Would I do myself a disservice by practicing at home? Will it make it harder to learn the real stuff after I get good at the games? Or would it ease the learning curve?

Upvote 0
So I've read.. hmm.. The problem is that I have no way of getting a real car at the moment. The only thing I can do is practice at home. Would I do myself a disservice by practicing at home? Will it make it harder to learn the real stuff after I get good at the games? Or would it ease the learning curve?
I think it will help with real driving. It's not just about using clutches, it's visual awareness and judgement of distance and judgement of the size of the car and space around it, when to brake and how much etc.

Upvote 0
As long as you get a reasonable wheel + pedals, you'll be able to get used to using the controls, so when you need to stop you use the right pedal reflexively and such.

Driving a real car is a lot easier than a virtual one though - more of your sensory cues work (g-forces, rotation, depth perception, field of view and so on), so it's easier to tell what you're doing. Head mounted displays like the Oculus Rift are gonna help with the last two points once there's a consumer version supported by decent games.

netkarpro is pretty good about simulating "all the steps of driving a car" in the way flight simulators do - you have to turn it on, start the engine, etc. the downside is it doesn't really have road-going cars, it's mostly open-wheel racers.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 92 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 125 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 336 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing