So What / How Do You Practice?

I studied classical guitar for a number of years , gaining a number of diplomas and playing in an Eisteddfod (which I sucked at but at least came 3rd out of 16 contestants). The parallels i find with both practicing classical guitar and sim racing is repetition. Start slowly until the "speed" comes automatically. This take time and effort and can be boring (to some). I find it to be great fun.

I must admit I was surprised to find the topic in a race sim. But yes it can/does bear some relevance.

When I practice, I do that for lets say 1 hour or may be 2, when I see that I'm not improving my times, I stop for that day to avoid fatigue and frustration, but I'll still be thinking for solutions for my next sessions, if I practice for a combo for 1 week for example, I try to bring solutions day after day, and usually I get my ideas when I'm not practicing, when I'm relaxed far from my rig.

Been playing/practicing guitar for about 7 years now and played piano for 10 years before that, and one similarity for me between practicing an instrument and sim racing, is that improvement often happens in short bursts rather than being gradual and continuous. Meaning, you can go practicing for days and days without getting any better, until one day something "clicks" and you finally see an improvement, even if small.

In music this might mean that the scale you've been practicing for weeks without understanding what to do with it sudenly starts to make "musical sense" in your head. After days of "threading water" something clicked and you now realized how to apply the shapes and intervals of that scale into your playing and improvisation.

In simracing this might mean that after weeks of practicing without any noticeable improvements, one day something clicks and you notice that all this time your braking technique was wrong, and suddenly you see your times improving.

Keep in mind that these "bursts" of improvement wouln't have been possible without all those previous days of going trough the motions.

But the key is to enjoy what you do and have fun. The moment you start taking things way too serious, either by comparing yourself to others who are better than you or by setting unreasonably high goals for yourself, is when things start becoming frustrating rather than fun, and you most probably will not improve much if you're not having any fun or enjoyment out of it.

It's quite common that simracers play or played guitar(I do too). I guess the learning experience makes it interesting in the same way.

Last edited:
I started playing guitar in the 70's, still have my first guitar, a 75 Gibson SG. I come from the days of analog, where the only way to learn was pretty much by ear. Listening to LP's, reel to reel, 8-tracks and cassettes is how I learned. You could buy chord books of your favorite artist at the music store, but they never had detailed tabs like today.

Once you master the chord basics and dexterity, it's sooo easy to learn these days. Backing tracks, millions of YouTube vids, tons of websites with tabs freely available. Everything is laid out, you just have to make an effort. But in the long run, you're just copying the copier and learning technique.

I'm old school and prefer players that can express more with one note than a thousand notes. Playing with heart and soul is something you can't learn from YouTube videos. It just comes from living.

I listen to it all, but never really impressed with a lot of guitar players these days. Not saying there's not some great players out there, just not a lot that stand out...IMO.

Edit: In comparison, I guess you could say the same about old school drivers compared to today's drivers. Look at all the tools and technology the drivers have today compared to the drivers of the past.
Who stands out in your opinion?

My favourites are Frusciante and Gilmour if it comes to expression.

Not really practising per se at all. Using qualifying or official "Training sessions" to get to know car and track.
Having very limited spare time and other hobbies and a girlfriend as well, when i can spare time i just race (club race or SRS). This leaves me in the midfield in races, but the fun is there and that's what it's all about for me

I started learning guitar late last year, every time i start feeling demotivated, i go and watch a Phil X video, he such a crazy guy. That's one thing sim racing lacks, someone very entertaining to get you excited to race.

Have a go with Gamer Muscle to watch for SIM racing. If you know football, and The Men in Blazers Show??? It's kinda like that for Sim racers. For car/track and watching racing lines Ferrariman601 is a good start. He's a very knowledgeable guy with his car reviews. For equipment overview, under-view and everything in between try Sim racing garage. There is plenty out there for vids and reviews of others, Chris Hayes is good one and Ole Jimmy Broadbent. Hope this helps you a bit to start with. Happy You Tubing!!

Racing is exactly like playing Jazz.

You have to know what scale to play over what chord just like you have to know what gear to have on each corner. Same goes with braking points etc etc.

At the same time you have to improvise because your opponents (band mates) are interacting with you.

It's all about lines and rhythm just like life itself.

As a matter of fact, Sex, Music and Racing has one thing in common and that is you're totally focusing on what you're doing and being in the moment.

Last edited:
Nothing nada niks rien überhaupt nix. Playing or practicing music is far away from sim racing .
Playing music might be far away from sim racing... but practicing is practicing, no matter what. It's all about the brain.

There are tecniques behind effective praticing (google them if you want) that can be equally applied to anything, from playing guitar, to simracing, to cooking or skate boarding.

Playing music might be far away from sim racing... but practicing is practicing, no matter what. It's all about the brain.

There are tecniques behind effective praticing (google them if you want) that can be equally applied to anything, from playing guitar, to simracing, to cooking or skate boarding.

Practicing music will emprove you musical skills but will not automaticcaly make you a better simracer. Practicing will improve the elasticity of your brain in general, but has it limits

Practicing music will emprove you musical skills but will not automaticcaly make you a better simracer.
Have you read the article? It 's about 6 practice tips that will work for praticing both an instrument or simracing (and other stuff too). If you learn these pratice techniques in one particular area, then when you're faced with something new that requires praticing you will remember them and use them.

No one is saying that practicing the harp for 20 years wil make you an alien racer :)

I know quite some professional musicians and they play so many gigs / recording sessions each year that exactly that is their practice and stuff they do is only warmup.

I don't think the aliens really need practice, they just need warmup too?

So often when people look at someone that has skill they say "oh i wish i was that good!".The reality is most likely that the person who is skilled have done that very thing thousands of hours throughout his or her life.

As an old fart its what im telling youngsters all the time: find something you would like to get better at and get crackin' pronto! The younger you start the easier it is because your brain is like a sponge when younger. As a 20 something you think life will be like that until you're so old that you sit in a rocking chair at 90. Sorry, but thats not the case.It goes downhill much faster than you think, lol. So if you wanna become great at something make time for it and practice, practice, practice. Doesnt hurt if you love doing it at the same time. :)

With sim racing i just had fun and the skill came gradually on its own. The fastest i learned to get better was with friends who are really good and who gave pointers along the way. Some of the best sessions has been driving for example on the Green Hell with friends and gotten pointers while going around it. How to take corners, how to setup your car better, how to catch slides etc etc. I am nowhere near the aliens but thats ok. I love the experience even if im battling the mid pack. :)
i agree. its about the fun.

Since I started to learn 2-row melodeon two years ago, I've found a lot similarities to sim racing. Learning a tune is like learning a new track, and the real fun begins when you start to "hit the ideal line" and master difficult parts of the track/tune (like a difficult turn in sim-racing/fast bellow changes or weird fingerings on the buttonbox).

Last edited:
I am a beginner in sim racing, I bought a t300 a couple of months ago and I have already made a lot of progress, of course, 20 years of ordinary driving a real car helps. But I’ve gotten to the point that I can’t get a second more. I probably need to practice a lot more and very possibly in a different way. My biggest problem is the ordinary potentiometer brake that comes with the steering wheel I can't feel it properly and don't have money for a better one at the moment. I mostly drive ACC, AC, and rF2. In Acc I m around 8 to 10 seconds slower than the time record per track.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 329 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.5%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 221 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 287 13.5%