So sick of this. When will GPU prices go down?

The GPUCard from 3rd party vendors often come with this kind of "OC Software". Asrock provides software with 3 different Clockspeeds: Silent, Normal and Gamemode but the last mode is above the advertised clockspeed so when i set that i'm officially OC-ing it. I would suggest you set/leave you're CPU and GPU in default mode and you're Ram on wat the XMP file says and just test you're system by gaming or maybe stresstest even... I do not recommend using any kind of OC Software. OC-ing is a choice you make and a sort of hobby for some people. But if you just want a good game PC with steady performance for you're heavy games for a couple of year's, OC is never a good idea. You already have a good and fast CPU and GPU so stability is wat you seek now i think, so you can run games at a constant higher FPS. The Ryzen 3900x cpu is already optimized by AMD themselfs and has little headroom for OC-ing it.
Only upgradeable part is RAM with XMP filew@ 4000 MHz as the latest Ryzen cpu's can benefit from higher ram clockspeed but that is it
OC-ing always is tempering with the instability and you must at least be prepared!!!

I see, running an i5-8400 with the new RTX I'll just leave it alone. Thanks.

It's still ridiculous. But I guess they're selling them. I've been trying to buy a RTX 2060 Super for a while. Been watching it stay at $400 since August. I can really only budget $350. Willing to wait as my GTX970 is still decent for what I do.
But, that GTX1660 Ti at $280 is starting to look appealing.
Is your'e game experience that bad? Or is it the consumer within, if you know what i mean,,.,;) If i'm racing in my cockpit i'm not seeing or feeling any diference between 60 or 100 fps.. Cause when i'm racing i'm completely focus'd on my brakingpoints and cornering.. so on... i have AMD 2600X 6X3400 with the cheapest Asrock RX580,8GB gpu and 16g Ram.. I have 60 to 65 fps and i'm very happy with it! :)

Cannot argue with a very common sense point
of view, and now Nvidia is capable of running AMD free sync, that very nicely take care of smooth graphics at lower FPS.

Wouldnt it be great to see a comparison of a mid-priced PC with good but 1080p 60Hz screen. This against a top-end spec PC and display with 120Hz. That Aussie dude trying to make a name for himself on Youtube should try something like this as he seems keen. Yet when was the last time you seen a Sim Racing channel actually do PC/GPU or Monitor reviews or in-depth comparisons.

How much will it improve the enjoyment, the users skills with consistency or indeed lap times?
Those of you that did upgrade, how happy did it make you?

High res gaming is costly. If you can make do with 1080p, these days even some Tvs are coming with low refresh and 120Hz 1080p compatibility. They will even help sharpen the image with 4K upscaling.

However still with a 60Hz display (seeking to upgrade) at the moment I query with regards to sims and racing titles how much better 120Hz is.

A super high res monitor can be sharp. Yet a good-quality TV can be much bigger and provide a much richer quality of image. In the past I've owned/experienced various options from multiscreen monitors to TVs and even triple projectors. Though for 2020 I have to say I don't know which way to go towards upgrading.

I do think £1000+ for a GPU is just scandalous as in 2 years its performance will be again closer to mid-range.
We are however reaching a point 4K 120Hz (or similar resolutions) will be possible. Yet new options like RTX will then bring more visual improvements at the cost of performance.

Last edited:
Wouldnt it be great to see a comparison of a mid-priced PC with good but 1080p 60Hz screen. This against a top-end spec PC and display with 120Hz. That Aussie dude trying to make a name for himself on Youtube should try something like this as he seems keen. Yet when was the last time you seen a Sim Racing channel actually do PC/GPU or Monitor reviews or in-depth comparisons.

How much will it improve the enjoyment, the users skills with consistency or indeed lap times?
Those of you that did upgrade, how happy did it make you?

High res gaming is costly. If you can make do with 1080p, these days even some Tvs are coming with low refresh and 120Hz 1080p compatibility. They will even help sharpen the image with 4K upscaling.

However still with a 60Hz display (seeking to upgrade) at the moment I query with regards to sims and racing titles how much better 120Hz is.

A super high res monitor can be sharp. Yet a good-quality TV can be much bigger and provide a much richer quality of image. In the past I've owned/experienced various options from multiscreen monitors to TVs and even triple projectors. Though for 2020 I have to say I don't know which way to go towards upgrading.

I do think £1000+ for a GPU is just scandalous as in 2 years its performance will be again closer to mid-range.
We are however reaching a point 4K 120Hz (or similar resolutions) will be possible. Yet new options like RTX will then bring more visual improvements at the cost of performance.

Last one I remember doing a monitor review was Yorkie065 and before that Inside Sim Racing (for all their flaws) ages ago.

Also, now is a great time to get into PC gaming thanks to AMD's offers on the R5 2600 and the Rx 570/580. You get amazing 1080p performance for a decent price. Heck, you can even do VR in it albeit don't expect to turn any bells or whistles on.

Using TVs for gaming is a mixed bag imho. Either you know what you are looking for and pay the price (which, if you watch TV, can work as a 2 for 1 deal) or you are better off buying a cheap monitor which will for sure perform better. For Sim Racing obviously FOV matters and the bigger the monitor the better the experience overall imho but a 34 inch ultra wide screen is enough.

The reason GPUs are at a all time high is from the demand from people mining cryptocurrency the rigs they build will have about 10 or 12 GPUs on it because your computer is solving mathematics and rewarding you with crypto. So I guess when the scene dies down maybe prices will

• Deleted member 197115

its also fault from all the gamers buying these ridiculous priced nvidia-stuff, so they have no need to drop
i get the need for performance, but dont ask around, look at yourselfs
Unfortunately with the competitor it is literally "you get what you paid for".
But yeah, monopoly creates all kind of consumer abuse, like these ridiculous prices when GPU cost more than the rest of the build.

What sort of games and res are you wanting to run?

I'm getting 100fps+ in Assetto Corsa with maxed settings on 5760x1080/144hZ (triple monitors) using my antique Radeon RX480.

I do think £1000+ for a GPU is just scandalous as in 2 years its performance will be again closer to mid-range
Bought a 1080Ti 2 years ago, (literally a week before crypto madness drove the prices from 700 to 1200€) but it is nowhere near mid-range. Every game is still running smoothly 1080p 144hz at ultra, even the Recent Call of Duty

• Deleted member 197115

Bought a 1080Ti 2 years ago, (literally a week before crypto madness drove the prices from 700 to 1200€) but it is nowhere near mid-range. Every game is still running smoothly 1080p 144hz at ultra, even the Recent Call of Duty
1080Ti was (and still is) a performance gem. Chugging COD MW all Ultra at 4k/60 without even breaking a sweat.
It's VR when things get hairy.
Hopefully next NVidia card will fare better for the price than 2080Ti.

In fairness I should of said 2 generations of cards as not every year the new card launches are coming.
Be interesting to see the performance of the next cards to determine what level of performance a 1080Ti is then at.

I don't think many 1080Ti players buy that level of card to game at 1080p. Most 1080p gamers use 60Hz displays so a 1070/1080 is more than enough. I would expect the majority of 1080Ti buyers to be 1440p players with 21:9 as a sweetspot offering both high framerates and improved resolution.

In fairness I should of said 2 generations of cards as not every year the new card launches are coming.
Be interesting to see the performance of the next cards to determine what level of performance a 1080Ti is then at.

I don't think many 1080Ti players buy that level of card to game at 1080p. Most 1080p gamers use 60Hz displays so a 1070/1080 is more than enough. I would expect the majority of 1080Ti buyers to be 1440p players with 21:9 as a sweetspot offering both high framerates and improved resolution.
I am going triples soon so that will put me back to 60hz most likely

I just saw a "leak" that suggested the new 7nm NVidia releases will be more powerful, use less power and be priced lower.

This actually makes a lot of sense. the 12nm process they used for the 20 series was too big a process for that complexity. The die size was too large which drove yields down and reduced the number of GPU's on a wafer creating the high cost we got.

7nm will allow them to drop the die size a chunk which should both increase the yield and get more GPU's out of a wafer.

I just saw a "leak" that suggested the new 7nm NVidia releases will be more powerful, use less power and be priced lower.

This actually makes a lot of sense. the 12nm process they used for the 20 series was too big a process for that complexity. The die size was too large which drove yields down and reduced the number of GPU's on a wafer creating the high cost we got.

7nm will allow them to drop the die size a chunk which should both increase the yield and get more GPU's out of a wafer.

I really hope that leak is right about the pricing although I just can't see Nvidia having any reason to lower those prices after seeing everyone accept the 2080Ti.

I had a moment of weakness when I got my 2080Ti. I won't get another video card until there is a new VR headset driving the purchase. I think I can hold myself to that pretty easily. I expect my current rig to last me until I upgrade the MB, GPU and VR headset.

The reason GPUs are at a all time high is from the demand from people mining cryptocurrency the rigs they build will have about 10 or 12 GPUs on it because your computer is solving mathematics and rewarding you with crypto. So I guess when the scene dies down maybe prices will

It's more like machine learning nerds right now.

Amazon AWS EC2 is really not quite competitive compared to a owned GPU that is in a room that doesn't need air conditioning. And you can use as many as your computer can take, no SLI required.

looks like prices really spiked for Cyber Monday. Had been tracking a Gigabyte RTX2060 at $340 or a GTX1660S at $230. Both went up ($360/$276) and most are out of stock. Ridiculous that I thought I would get a deal. :p

BTW, Bitcoin has been steadily going down since early November.

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years