So I use v sync and i'm happy with that but.....

apex11

@Simberia
I can't understand why when ever i turn v sync off i get good FPS figures but game doesn't run smoothly..

For example RFactor 2 set v sync as video and its smooth as butter on the higest settings and runs at 60 fps like it says 59.9 average. My TV is 60hz refresh rate 60. GPU and CPU not near to overload.

Now if i switch off v sync it goes all stuttery despite higher FPS.

Any possible reaosn why i can't not run v sync?
This happens on RACEROOM, AC etc, i have to run v sync.
I am happy with this and can cope with the lag as i can't really notice any lag, but i can't get why i can't run without v sync.

My PC isn't going to impress anyone but the point is its perfect with v sync at steady 60 fps no problem at all...

Anyway my set up:

CPU: Intel i3 4130 @3.4ghz
GPU: 1060 3gb nvidia geforce
RAM: 8GB duel channel ddr3 533mhz
motherboard; ASUSTeK h81m-plus
TV 1920x1080 60hz

Now it cost me £400 and like i say its perfect for my needs, main thing is that i can get a better CPU but stats show via afterburner etc that CPU is never over worked nor is GPU, never gets too hot either, on v sync at least GPU and CPU run at under 50%

Surely with v sync off it should just run but not get to very high FPS? Not get high but stutter?

I'm confused and before i go get a better CPU i need to know if there is something else i'm missing as newbie to this.

If no then i'll happily stick with v sync at stick with 60 fps, but anyway, could it be my TV?

It's called screen-tearing, you'll get it whenever you aren't running at exactly the screens refresh rate unless you have a variable refresh rate monitor.

Lots of people like to run with if off because of input lag (can't say I've ever noticed any myself with on vs. off) but like you the tearing just looks like really bad stutter to me and is nigh on constant. Some people lik to use framerate limiters to limit it to 60Hz but without v-sync I still clearly see the tearing as it's not always perfectly syncing with the screen.

Upvote 0
Hi,
Can't do a long reply because I'm on phone but there are 2 things without vsync:
- variation in fps: no matter how many fps you get, when it's not steady you'll see stuttering!
The eye may not see the single frames as you can at 30 fps for example but the eye can see differences, even at very high fps! Somewhere must be a limit but I guess it's over 250 fps.

- screen and fps are not synced. That means that while the screen is refreshing the picture, the new picture will just kick in when only half screen is refreshed. That's called tearing and normaly you see that the picture gets torn.
But at very high fps you don't really see the cut-lines between the pictures but you see some stuttering, flickering etc.

To understand that better you could install riva tuner and limit the fps. At 90 or something you can achieve steadily. It comes with the msi afterburner and can't run without it! So don't wonder if you can't exit it. You have to close both tools! :)

Then it should be smooth, but with tearing!

For me: I can't run any game without vsync! You can change the number of "prerendered frames" though.
Search for it, it's in the nvidia control panel. Set it to 1 for all games and you will have almost absolute no input lag. That said: in shooter games you will feel the input lag with the mouse, but you won't feel it with a wheel! :)

Beware: if the gpu or CPU are getting near their limit or the engine has some issues, this could result in stuttering. If it does, change the number to 2.

Question to you: why do you want to deactivate vsync? :)

Upvote 0
I have never run vsync on any of my race sims ever. I don't suffer from any screen tearing or input lag either. Strange in it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies, i don't really not want to use v sync but was just curious as thinking about upgrading my CPU but only if it meant i could then run no v sync and get like 90-120 fps. So yes in fact maybe i should just stick to what i have, 60fps smooth gameplay.
Also if my system can reach upper 100 fps then maybe i should invest in better res TV.

I have connected via a HDMI cable should i try a PC connecting cable instead?

Upvote 0
You have a newer nVidia card, so turn off the in-game vSync and use nVidia's Fast Sync.

upload_2017-8-24_7-17-7.png

Upvote 0
I have never run vsync on any of my race sims ever. I don't suffer from any screen tearing or input lag either. Strange in it?
Indeed strange. Either you are just not as quickly bothered as others (many many people are perfectly fine with 30 fps) or something ist just perfectly right :)
Thanks for the replies, i don't really not want to use v sync but was just curious as thinking about upgrading my CPU but only if it meant i could then run no v sync and get like 90-120 fps. So yes in fact maybe i should just stick to what i have, 60fps smooth gameplay.
Also if my system can reach upper 100 fps then maybe i should invest in better res TV.

I have connected via a HDMI cable should i try a PC connecting cable instead?
Cable won't change anything until you want to run a 144hz monitor or 4k! Then you need some higher or other standards!
You have a newer nVidia card, so turn off the in-game vSync and use nVidia's Fast Sync.

View attachment 208255
Fast sync stutters for me, but it seems it got patched a few times and is better now!
Give it a try! :). That said: your hardware will always be at its limit with it!

Upvote 0
Indeed strange. Either you are just not as quickly bothered as others (many many people are perfectly fine with 30 fps) or something ist just perfectly right :)

My FPS in RRE (max) never drops below 120 fps, most of the time higher. AC (mixture of high and ultra)about 150 fps. Rfactor2 dx11 in the high 60's, AMS very high fps. Nascar Racing 2003 about 144 fps. Everything to max using Radeon software for my RX480 and 8 x AA and 16 x anisotropic etc etc. I prefer all my stuff to be hitting high FPS. I never see screen tearing or stuttering. I'm happy with it.

RX480 8gb graphics card, i5-4670k cpu o/c's to 4.2 ghz on fresh air. 75mhz Freesync 34" Ultrawide LG monitor.

Upvote 0
Don't get obsessed with the 59.9mhz. That's normal to see this on a 60Mhz TV. If the gameplay is smooth enough for you then you're fine. A higher refresh TV's may lie in their specs, as they just add smoothing between frames to moving pictures for broadcast TV only which involves boosting the refresh rate but it's not taking new frames from the input. Bear in mind TV's are made for broadcast TV, they don't care about the tiny amount of PC users. If you play games in that mode the lag is crazy and you'll be driving like your drunk. That's why TV's have PC mode, which removes all the post processing stuff to reduce lag.

If lag is something you really want to overcome, then you'll need a PC monitor. And if you do go down that route, then spend a bit more for a high refresh-rate monitor, the visual difference makes such big a difference.

Upvote 0
My FPS in RRE (max) never drops below 120 fps, most of the time higher. AC (mixture of high and ultra)about 150 fps. Rfactor2 dx11 in the high 60's, AMS very high fps. Nascar Racing 2003 about 144 fps. Everything to max using Radeon software for my RX480 and 8 x AA and 16 x anisotropic etc etc. I prefer all my stuff to be hitting high FPS. I never see screen tearing or stuttering. I'm happy with it.

RX480 8gb graphics card, i5-4670k cpu o/c's to 4.2 ghz on fresh air. 75mhz Freesync 34" Ultrawide LG monitor.
Freesync explains it all :) if I would have the money to spend I would go for one too! Seen it at a friends and it's so smooth!

Upvote 0
Tearing is one thing, but there's also always going to be apparent stutter once you unlock the framerate by disabling vsync. The ratio of framerate vs refresh rate is no longer 1:1, but for example 1.37:1. That not only means there's going to be tearing in the location where the monitor skips from one frame to the next as it draws it's image from top to bottom, but it also means that we're no longer seeing every single animation frame for given part of the screen. The ratio is now uneven and so there's stutter, even if the framerate is high enough. The animation will obviously always appear smoothest the closer the framerate gets to a whole multiple of the monitor's refresh rate. So for a 60 Hz monitor, 60 fps appears smoothest, as does 120, 180, 240, 320...you get the idea. But if the framerate differs from these targets, stutter appears.

The above suggestion works on the exact same principle. If you limit your framerate to 83, it doesn't really eliminate tearing. It just makes it hard to see, because the location of the tear is completely different with each new frame. Which sadly also means the animations appear much more stuttery.

So yeah, for this very reason, I choose to limit my framerate at 60 fps. That makes the tear very visible and almost unmoving (though it's sometimes located where it's hardly visible at all, like in the sky or where the dashboard is in cockpit , but it also means I am as close to the ideal smoothness as possible. I could also limit at 120 fps for the same effect, but I'm usually not able to get the framerate that high with my gear and my settings, plus I'd get two tears on the screen instead of one.

Upvote 0
I am the same as I can never run anything without Vsync unfortunately. Only game I have ever been able to is CSGO and frames are like 300+ and funnily enough it's the only game I don't realise I haven't got Vsync enabled. I could never race without Vsync. I have never really noticed input lag, so turning it off does nothing but makes things worse.

I do however want to try fast sync again. I used it when it first released and was not impressed. Will give it another go.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years